Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets forget about the Owen Hart incident. Pretend that never happened, and just look at the ppv without the tragedy

How good was it in your eyes?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
First of all I don't think there is any way you could take away that incident.

Second, I haven't seen it, and I don't want to.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all I don't think there is any way you could take away that incident.

Second, I haven't seen it, and I don't want to.
What i mean, is pretend that it didn't happen, or Over the Edge - The Owen Hart incident.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
How can you take away the incident from the PPV? The announcers were talking about it, the superstars were crying during their promos and matches. You can't take that away.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've seen the whole thing and it was pretty poor leading up to the Owen incident and even worse after that. The wrestlers were clearly in distress over what had happened to Owen and weren't exactly in the right frame of mind to compete. Overall a below average show in my opinion. You can't take away the Owen incident completely when reviewing the show as even if you remove the tragedy itself you still have the repercussions of it and the way it affected the performance of the wrestlers who had to follow such an awful event.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
The only two matches before the incident were Kane and X-Pac vs D'Lo and Mark Henry which was alright I guess a 3.5/5 match but Al Snow vs Hardcore Holly was boring as hell esxcept for the bit where they went backstage and beat each other up there, most of the time in the ring was just boring.

All the other matches were after the incident and you could tell they were not focused. Several people I feel hurt for during the event. One was for Vince who had to either keep the show going or end it. Also Jeff Jerrett who had to go on right after his friends incident.

Its really hard to not think of the matches after what happened. Its the onyl thing when I think of when I think of this PPV. I remember watching it live around my friends house and we all thought it was a work till we were thinking half way through the rest of the PPV that something was wrong. And you could tell just why watching it... I think you can find Over The Edge 1999 on Youtube somewhere..

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
How/why it still went ahead still baffles me, as Owen was carried through the curtain, Jeff Jarrett was being told 'your'e match is next up' FFS.
I agree. They could have done refunds. Might have had a riot but it is so disrespectful to make them go out there after Owen had died. I haven't seen the show and I don't plan on it.

·
Banned
4,994 Posts
It was mediocre, full of whiny, teary eyes wrestlers who cried for no obvious reason (if you take away the Owen Hart fall and death). Commentary was terrible for no reason (if you take away the Owen Hart fall and death). Crowd was silent halfway through for no reason (if you take away the Owen Hart fall and death). Matches weren't at PPV level and wrestlers didn't seem to be focused on their in ring performance for no obvious reason (if you take away the Owen Hart fall and death).

Overall: 4/10

It's obviously impossible to take away the fact that Owen died halfway through as every aspect of the PPV was affected by it.

·
Registered
8,281 Posts
It was alright, nothing special, Rock/HHH was decent and the lead storyline with Taker and Austin was very good imo.

Everything else was meh, the Val Venis/Debra/Jarrett/Nicole Bass stuff was HORRIBLE.

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
You cant just pretend Owen falling to his death didnt happen and ask how the PPV was as after that horrible accident the crowd just wasent into the PPV anymore they were all in shock and really that PPV should of stopped when Owen fell to his death. Vince was fucking wrong to carry on the PPV like nothing happened. None of the talent wanted to be out there after that. The look on their faces said it all. Theres clips on you tube of the main event match Austin vs Undertaker where Austin throws down the belt outside the ring which showed he didnt give a shit and Undertaker was crying. Im just glad Owen's death wasent captured on film and put out there to see as seeing a man falling to his death is sick

·
Banned
609 Posts
Another thing that makes no sense to ask what if. Anybody who was watching during that time and knows the events personally CANT think about how the ppv was without Owen's accident. Sure if newer fans go back they might not understand what a huge deal it was, so they can watch individual matches, ect. I can't.
But if you're going to take the typical smark "go by action in the ring" not what happens outside of it, obviously it impacted the rest of the night. Not to mention his accident effected the moral of the superstars in their upcoming matches.
I'm sorry but I really find What If Threads not just pointless but completely stupid.
Asking how good a PPV was where somebody tragically died is like asking a family whose Grandfather passed away at dinner if the meal was still good.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
It's really hard to separate owen Hart's death from the PPV and view it objectively; it's like saying, 'take away World War 2; what were the first five years of the 1940s like?'. Owen's death obviously tainted the rest of the show, impacting on everything from the performances to the atompshere in general.

Reactions: CC91

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
This tag match was pretty decent. If you look at the mat at 4:57 I think that is Owens blood on the side. It's pretty depressing and reminds me instantly of what had just happened a few minutes before hand. Respect to everyone for going out there and finishing the PPV. Jr and Kings commentary had no energy in it, but they did their best. The crowd wasn't too lively, though some of them tried to keep spirits high by chanting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W88ETxrZWBc

·
Stealing the Show
7,428 Posts
I remember watching this PPV at my friends house. I don't know how anyone could've thought this was a work when it happened. As soon as I heard JRs voice and the tone he had, I knew immediately we were about to get terrible news.

When they announced that he was DOA, I thought to myself "how the fuck are they going to finish this?" To this day, I think making the decision to finish the card was one of the worst decisions in WWF history.

Watching a show with something of that magnitude happening, and the remnants of a dead mans blood on the ring just really sucked.

This PPV wasn't that great before the accident, and wasn't any better afterwards. They should've called the PPV, and given a refund to the fans in attendance and the fans who ordered. I'm glad they never released this PPV on DVD.

Sent from my HTC Evo

1 - 20 of 49 Posts