Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some tag teams look very good on paper and when you see them on TV, but are not able to be as good/great as some think they would.

What are some examples of tag teams that never reached their potential?

I have to nominate Big Show and Undertaker.

The idea of them teaming up seemed really awesome, and though they were two-time tag team champs, they never really meshed.

1. They never saw eye-to-eye, as evidenced by when Taker left Show high and dry when they lost to the Rock and Sock Connection the first time.

2. They held the titles for only 21 days combined.

By contrast, when Big Show teamed up with the other Brother of Destruction, that ended up being what this should have been- a dominant tag-team capable of destroying all opponents.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I would say the Rockers by virtue of them never winning the tag team title. Damn broken ring ropes screwed over their potential reign.

I always liked the Beverly Brothers too. Can't put my finger on it.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I always thought that Kendrick & London could have done much more. Both are very talented and could have been a new version of the Hardys.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I agree with Cryme Tyme, people can knock their gimmick but that's what got them over in the first place. They reminded me alot of Los Guerrero's, with the cheating aspect of their gimmick. I think they could have been so much more than they were.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
The Hass (Charlie & Russ) brothers, by all accounts they had excellent chemistry together (no shock there really, them being brothers), but Russ' shock death put a stop to any dreams of the 2 hitting the big time together.

·
Registered
20,205 Posts
I thought that The World's Greatest Tag Team was cut abruptly and could have done much better, especially being aligned with Angle. Charlie Haas as a single wrestler has been laughable and Shelton Benjamin was just thrown around the mid-card for six years.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Idol Stevens & KC James
I thought they were underrated as far as their in-ring ability is concerned. They weren't on the main roster for very long and I wish they had kept them together longer. I thought they gelled well together.

Lo Down (D-Lo Brown & Chaz)
If they weren't saddled with Tiger Ali Singh, I think they had the chemistry to become a quality face team.

·
Follower of Lockeism
13,482 Posts
Cryme Tyme
Deuce and Domino (I thought hey had potential as a tag team)
Haas and Benjamin (Could have done a lot more with them after the split from Angle)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
MNM did win the tag team titles on their debut but for the main year they were together (05-06) the Smackdown tag division was pretty much a shambles as they were barely any teams in the division.

Agree with KC James & Idol Stevens too, they had a pretty good match vs. London & Kendrick at No Mercy 2006 and showed decent potential. They pulled the plug too early on them.

I always thought Carlito & Chris Masters and Jesse & Festus could have achieved more as teams if the booking teams were on their side.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
The Sheepherders. Great, aggressive, heel tag team outside WWF. Who can forget their work in UWF, and their rivalry with The Fantatsics which culminated into some of the greatest tag matches ever. On top of that, their work in Memphis and NWA. Then WWF turn them into a complete joke as the Bushwackers.

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,965 Posts
The were good heels with good chemistry, having teamed together long before their WWF runs.

As for Cryme Tyme, that's an excellent shout, if tag team wrestling were taken seriously in the WWE they could have been on of the top 3 babyface acts in the wrestling.

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Deuce and Domino (I thought hey had potential as a tag team)
I forogt about D&D, I was a massive mark for them back in '07 and I was gutted when they stpped getting their push and then Domino got released

·
also known as a BUSTER
11,965 Posts
According to everyone who I've ever heard talk about them, Deuce is also known as 'Douche'.

He wouldn't bump for London & Kendrick because he thought Jimmy Snuka's son shouldn't go down for anyone, not even the year-long tag champs.

·
Hunter of Invisible Game
37,904 Posts
I don't know if you'd say they didn't reach their potential but its a damn shame Adonis & Murdoch were tag champs right before the big WWF national expansion happened and aren't recognized for being as great as they were. Furnas and LaFon being stuck on the midcard was weak too but I can understand it from a business standpoint.

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Originally Posted by philip3831
Like the Bushwackers, they where a brilliant team PRE WWF, as The Destruction Crew they where absolutely lethal

I always felt Marty Jannetty and the 123 Kid had serious potential to be a really hot tag team

More recently, Carlito and Primo where broke up well before their time, absolutely stupid decision that was

·
Registered
386 Posts
UMMMMM someone said Brian Kendrick and Paul London wernt they like tag team champs for a year and had great chemistry in the ring. Cant see how thats not reaching their potential

1 - 20 of 28 Posts