Wrestling Forum banner

Tag Teams 10 years ago

1436 Views 10 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  dxbender
So I was watching Wrestlemania 2000 yesterday and here were the tag teams present at the PPV alone:

Edge and Christian
The Dudleys
New Age Outlaws
TNA-Test and Prince Albert
The Hardy's
The Godfather and DLO
Bull Buchanan and the Big Boss Man
Kai En Tai
The Headbangers
Mean Street Posse
The Acolytes
Head Cheese: Al Snow and Steve Blackman
Too Cool
The Radicalz

Completely insane comparing that to today's lack of tag teams. The WWE today treats every wrestler like they expect them to be world champs some day. Why can't some wrestlers just be workers and serve a purpose. As soon as a young talent isn't over, they dump them instead of teaming them up and repurposing them.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
187 Posts
So I was watching Wrestlemania 2000 yesterday and here were the tag teams present at the PPV alone:

Edge and Christian
The Dudleys
New Age Outlaws
The Hardy's
The Godfather and DLO
Kai En Tai
The Headbangers
Mean Street Posse
The Acolytes
Too Cool
The Radicalz

Completely insane comparing that to today's lack of tag teams. The WWE today treats every wrestler like they expect them to be world champs some day. Why can't some wrestlers just be workers and serve a purpose. As soon as a young talent isn't over, they dump them instead of teaming them up and repurposing them.
I miss the New Age Outlaws... The crowd would say every word with them... Those were the days...

· Registered
3,290 Posts
To see this list just makes me feel sad. Even the dying WCW, a promotion who was never high on Tag Teams had so much more great tag teams at that time.

3 Count
Young Dragons
Knoble & Karagias
Team Canada
Romeo & Skipper
Filthy Animals
O'Haire & Palumbo
Jindrak & Stasiak
The Insiders
Totally Buff
Kronik

· Registered
18,863 Posts
This is the thing that sucks though, look at many of these tag teams, not many had future world champs in them bu they were still great for the depth of the tag division. Why can't we have the same thing again? Probably 40% of the roster appears on Raw or SD 1 time a month if they're lucky. Since those guys are obviously never gonna be in the us,ic title or main event scene then you might as well stick them in a tag team. Sure they might not make sense, but once a team has been around for as long as they might be, people just accept them as a normal tag team.

One of my faves being Too Cool and X-Factor. Too Cool sorta made sense(not really with Rikishi, but when he was added, they were great) and X-Factor was just random to me(X-Pac,Justin Credible,Albert) but I still loved that tag team even though individually at that time, none were ever gonna be close to getting a ic or wwe title shot.

If wwe paired up random teams today, we could have almost 10 tag teams which means a great tag division and instead of boring 1 on 1 matches like reks-ryder(dont know if it happened, naming a random match) we could see something like reks,ryder vs yoshi,primo(just an example,dont know if it'd work). It'd be alot more exciting and since people know most of these guys will do nothing on their own, might as well put them in a tag team where they won't have to do much anyways.

· Registered
3,290 Posts
dxbender, why was X-Factor random? Credible was unofficial member of the Kliq before he went to ECW. Pac and him were buddies for many years before they formed this team.

Or did you just mean Albert joining them was random, then yes, I agree, that did not make any sense. Originally, there were plans for HBK to manage X-Factor. Maybe Albert was kind of a last minute replacement.

· Registered
10,918 Posts

Edge and Christian
The Dudleys
New Age Outlaws
The Hardy's
The Godfather and DLO
Kai En Tai
The Headbangers
Mean Street Posse
The Acolytes
Too Cool
The Radicalz

The one's I highlighted are the ones no one gave a fuck about.

· Registered
3,290 Posts
The one's I highlighted are the ones no one gave a fuck about.
People absolutely loved Head Cheese.

Kai-En-Tai was pretty popular with their catchphrases "We are evil" and "Indeed".

Godfather and D-Lo were two of the most over guys in the whole company.

Test and Albert, I kind of agree. Nobody cared about Test or Albert, but the team TNA, was huge because of Trish.

Bossman and Buchanan, ok I'll give you that.

· Registered
18,863 Posts
dxbender, why was X-Factor random? Credible was unofficial member of the Kliq before he went to ECW. Pac and him were buddies for many years before they formed this team.

Or did you just mean Albert joining them was random, then yes, I agree, that did not make any sense. Originally, there were plans for HBK to manage X-Factor. Maybe Albert was kind of a last minute replacement.
Don't really know how many ppl actually knew that though and if it was even a reason why he teamed up in x-factor.

Though I'm sure there are many guys who are friends backstage that could form tag teams that might not make sense on screen, but offscreen people can see how it happened.

EX- I know Santino and Kozlov are friends in real life(I think Orton is friends with both of them cause I remember on his twitter he was talking about a bbq with santino,goldust and i think kozlov, it wasn't a joke cause he actually said they were hanging out)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.