Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well the past few weeks, Bourne and Kofi have really been hyped as tag champs. They are both two guys that really have nothing better to do despite being over, so it would be good to see the tag division rebuilt around them. They are young, exciting to watch in the ring and both extremely over. I'm hoping they become tag team mainstays that also branch out into the other scenes every now and then.

Miz and Truth are a team that I don't really see as a long term team. They seem like a one off team for NOC. That being said, they could very well stick together as an alliance in the long term.

This one might seem odd, but I see Swagger and Ziggler becoming a tag team. Now, I know they are having some kind of rivalry, but the two of them essentially wrecked Morrison and Riley in the tag match and they kept Cena at bay. WWE pretty much created the impression that had they worked together they'd have been the last two standing. There was also the combination of their finishers (Sleeper-Ankle lock) it just seems like it foreshadows them finding common ground. I think it makes sense, they are fighting over Vicki (sort of) so neither one can really turn face. They match up perfectly, both former WHC champs, known for their great wrestling ability but not exactly main event talent.

Then there is Hawkins and Reks, they seemed like they made a good tag team on Superstars and they have a pretty cool tag team finisher. Now, I know there's not a lot of love for these guys, but they are good (Hawkins is on the mic and in the ring and Reks can go in the ring). These are the sort of guys that should be in the tag division and built as mainstays (not saying they can't venture out, just that they'll be a tag team).

Otunga and McGillicutty, now ppl hate on them, but are they really that bad? McGillicutty isn't bad in the ring, I think he's pretty good (sure he isn't Mr. Perfect), his main weakness is the mic. Otunga is green, but he can talk (he's not the greatest, but he's good) and he can improve ring work whilst in a tag team. They should stick together as a tag team, both men have potential but they'd waste away on their own, especially right now.

I really hope that this tiny breath of life into the tag division is more than just mandatory prep for NOC (although I can see Miz/Truth ending at NOC). I also look forward to see what teams form or are brought in as well.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Sadly i don't think that this is the case. The division would be making a return if we were seeing some true tag teams , not guys that have nothing else to do thrown together into tag teams.

From the rockers and demolition to the hardy boys , now these were tag teams .

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Sadly i don't think that this is the case. The division would be making a return if we were seeing some true tag teams , not guys that have nothing else to do thrown together into tag teams.

99% of tag teams were guys thrown together

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I disagree, it's not like they couldn't have put guys like Kofi, Bourne, Truth and Miz into other storylines, they could be feuding as singles competitors (in fact, Miz and Truth have one already). They took them and inserted them into the tag division. If the guys put together work well together there is no reason why they cannot be as good as any team that debuted together, so long as they stick together and this isn't merely passing time.

After all, Edge debuted as a singles guy yet he ended up with Christian and they were a great tag team. Bubba Ray Dudley showed up before Dvon and they still made an awesome tag team.

·
Banned
1,184 Posts
The problem is that they're just tag teams with no gimmicks.Anybody remember when they had tag teams with a meaning and not just two guys pared together? The SES,The Hart Dynasty,Cryme Tyme and hell D-Generation X.The only tag team that's important to me right now are the Usos and sadly not even them are being used

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
They weren't decent teams either, that time period you picked sucked, DX and the SES weren't teams, they where factions who tagged

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny about how you forgot about the real tag team, the Usos. Don't blame you though WWE is hardly showcasing them.

Watson/O'Neil could be pretty good. They need to make Watson flamboyant again.

And Hawkins is quite good in the ring too.
OMG I completely forgot them, just haven't seen them for so long that they completely slipped my mind

The problem is that they're just tag teams with no gimmicks.Anybody remember when they had tag teams with a meaning and not just two guys pared together? The SES,The Hart Dynasty,Cryme Tyme and hell D-Generation X.The only tag team that's important to me right now are the Usos and sadly not even them are being used
Gimmicks can easily come in later as teams begin to feud and actually get character development. Most these guys haven't even developed individual characters and with air time and direction they can.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I really hope the rumors of The Kings being signed are true.
That'd be great. I hope they show up as heels to feud with Kofi/Bourne in a long term feud. The matches could be awesome.

·
Registered
945 Posts
All I'm seeing so far is the prospect of another tag division 'push' like when the belts were unified around 2009/10...

i.e. Throwing some mid/upper card guys into teams to dupe us into thinking the belts actually mean something.

Until they establish a proper tag roster that gives the impression of their being competition for contendership it'll be no better than the mid-card divisions are.

(Let's face it a team like Miz/Truth won't be around too long as they generally have much more worth as singles guys at this juncture)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
All I'm seeing so far is the prospect of another tag division 'push' like when the belts were unified around 2009/10...

i.e. Throwing some mid/upper card guys into teams to dupe us into thinking the belts actually mean something.

Until they establish a proper tag roster that gives the impression of their being competition for contendership it'll be no better than the mid-card divisions are.

(Let's face it a team like Miz/Truth won't be around too long as they generally have much more worth as singles guys at this juncture)
I don't know, back then all they did was form JeriShow, but it seems more likely that they'll follow through this time. JeriShow had no real longevity because they were both better singles prospects. Kofi and Bourne as singles wrestlers would only be glorified jobbers despite how over they are even with no pushes(not any fault of their own). They are the perfect two people to build a tag division around (of all the people on the roster).

Miz/Truth won't be around long, but they are just one team and I don't think they are winning the titles anyway. If at least Air-Boom, the Usos, Reks/Hawkins and OtungCutty stick together, there are enough teams and talent to have a division.

·
Registered
7,932 Posts
If the tag division is making a comeback, then there has to be teams on both brands. Smackdown has The Usos. That's it. Mahal/Khali look to be broken up. Dirt sheets are reporting that there are plans to break up are that Otunga/McGuillicutty. They also need people in tag teams that can draw. Reks/Hawkins may turn into a great tag team but WWE hasn't given them a reason to care about them.

Air Boom vs. Awesome Truth is a start but that's just it, a start. Even if they created a few FCW teams and brought them up, it'll take a while for them to get noticed and grab an audience.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If the tag division is making a comeback, then there has to be teams on both brands. Smackdown has The Usos. That's it. Mahal/Khali look to be broken up. Dirt sheets are reporting that there are plans to break up are that Otunga/McGuillicutty. They also need people in tag teams that can draw. Reks/Hawkins may turn into a great tag team but WWE hasn't given them a reason to care about them.

Air Boom vs. Awesome Truth is a start but that's just it, a start. Even if they created a few FCW teams and brought them up, it'll take a while for them to get noticed and grab an audience.
Given the nature of the tag titles, the tag division should be above the brand split.

I am not too big on dirt sheets, but if Otunga/Genesis break up, they are both screwed.

I agree that they need people that can draw, which is why the tag titles should stay with AirBoom, they should have it or be near it for a while. They can have long feuds with a team like Reks/Hawkins to get them over as heels. They can be what Cena is to the main event scene, the draw that allows the newer guys to get a chance to shine. Throw these guys into some gimmick matches every now and then (ladder matches, tables matches, tornado tag, etc) and the crowd will always be excited for tag matches.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Bring the Outlaws back!!! I say this because Im a Road Dogg mark. They dont need to win the belts either, just feud with some fools and put over some young guys. Naw I sayin? Oh, you didnt know

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Two singles guys thrown together, 9 times out of 10, does not a great tag team make. I'd like to see more old school teams, similar unique look, attire, style etc. That's the way to revive the tag division, not random pairings of guys because there's nothing better for them to do.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Two singles guys thrown together, 9 times out of 10, does not a great tag team make. I'd like to see more old school teams, similar unique look, attire, style etc. That's the way to revive the tag division, not random pairings of guys because there's nothing better for them to do.
I think most teams start off as 2 guys randomly pairing together, we just never really got to see when it happened. Anyway, I think it comes down to the pairing being kept together and developing their own combinations. They don't even really need the same look, E&C's only similarity was their hair was long and blonde.

Miz and Morrison were actually a good tag team, as were Paul London and Kendrick, and they were two men that just paired up. Hell, people were starting to like Slabriel as a team before they randomly broke up.

It just comes down to teams lasting long enough for each member to get used to the other and the audience to be used to them as a tag team.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I think most teams start off as 2 guys randomly pairing together, we just never really got to see when it happened. Anyway, I think it comes down to the pairing being kept together and developing their own combinations. They don't even really need the same look, E&C's only similarity was their hair was long and blonde.

Miz and Morrison were actually a good tag team, as were Paul London and Kendrick, and they were two men that just paired up. Hell, people were starting to like Slabriel as a team before they randomly broke up.

It just comes down to teams lasting long enough for each member to get used to the other and the audience to be used to them as a tag team.
The main problem with pairing two guys together is when they think that one popular wrestler + one popular wrestler = one superpopular tag team. Sure, that works, but they lose two popular single wrestlers. Like JeriShow, Big Show/Kane and so on.

Breaking Slabriel (awesome name there) up was stupid. I really don't like Slater, he reminds me of that surfer-guy with the long hair in Tough Enough, flailing his arms around and being kind of messy. I hate the way he talks, and most of all I hate his gimmick. But, his gimmick didn't shine through that much in a tag team, and Gabriel's good. I actually just started liking them as a tag team, they worked well together and was built up as pretty good competitors and not just a pair of jobbers. And then they go break them up, why? OtungaCutty aren't that great, but at least they're a team, so I hope they aren't going to break them up either.

Sure, none of them has got that much charisma but that's not as important in the tag team-division. Air-Boom has made Evan Bourne relevant, and I think more jobbers/low cards can find their places in tag teams. Chris Masters would have been a GREAT part in a tag team if they wouldn't have fired him, and Kozlov worked well with Santino.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts