Wrestling Forum banner

1421 - 1431 of 1431 Posts

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
5,419 Posts
Quick thoughts; I thought the show was great, but the booking was atrocious.

Why didn't they make it 2-2-2 going into the final match is beyond me. Ideally, the mens 5v5v5 should go on last, but if you really don't want Team NXT to win that match, you can still have the women go on last and Shayna win.

Cold vs Dunne was fantastic. MOTN for sure. A bit of a dream match for me as these are two of my favourites right now.

Fiend is whatever, I'm not a fan of Bray, never was and never will be at this rate.

5v5v5 was pretty good, but this could have gone on longer. Guys like Richoche & Drew really shine in matches like this where you can hide their weaknesses. Roman and Rollins need to freshen up quickly, I expect them to be in the big matches at Wrestlemania, and if they are that could be rough as the fans just don't care. The treatment of Walter was shocking, why not put someone else in if that's all you're going to do? Just as an aside, finishers have been abused so much it's very weird for guys to be eliminated after 1 finisher.

Brock vs Rey was good! Especially the end. Part of me feels Rey should have actually gone over. Low blows, weapons and interferences gives Brock an out, you could have even had Cain interfere also. Rey winning here would have been a magical moment.

Becky vs Bayley vs Shayna was okay, but suffered as there was no reason to care. If this was the decider the crowd would have been much hotter. As it was, it had to reason to go on last.

·
Premium Member
43,814 Posts
Here were my thoughts:

- The Women's match to kick things off was kind of a mess. I HATED that the NXT Team was made up of ladies on opposing sides in a War Games match just the night before and now they are all working perfectly in sync with each other. Stuff like that irritates me. The Raw and SD teams had their internal disagreements as they should, but the NXT gals all getting along just seemed silly. Also, the Io and Candice injuries made the finish kind of messy. The crowd was surprisingly dead for the match too, so it just felt like a long slog for most of it.

- AJ Vs. Nakamura Vs. Roddy was another match the crowd was kind of dead for. It was fine I guess, but kind of dry.

- Cole Vs. Dunne woke the crowd up a little bit, but they shot themselves in the foot by not having the flip piledriver on the apron be the finish. That was the high point of the match and it continuing past that point seemed silly. I guess the flip piledriver is just the new superkick. Also, Dunne can get dropped on his head and still get back in the ring, but Braun Strowman takes one bump outside the ring and he gets counted out? OK.

- Fiend Vs. Bryan...FUCK THAT RED LIGHTING! I hate it, it hurts my eyes, and it makes me not want to watch The Fiend's matches when he should be the top attraction on the show. PLEASE STOP DOING THAT!!!! Next...

- MOTN goes to the Men's Survivor Series elimination match. Many of the eliminations were anti-climactic. WALTER and Braun had little to no impact in the match and got out of there way too soon. Owens was an X Factor given his role in NXT the night before, but that never came into play during the match at all. Riddle eliminates Randy Orton...but then immediately gets taken out after that. So many guys were just wasted here. However, they at least did somethings that were interesting. At least Corbin was at odds with Roman in the match, and Keith Lee got to have a standout performance towards the end. The action in this match was enough to keep it interesting throughout.

- Lesnar Vs. Rey had a goofy ending with Dominic getting involved, and that was fun. Aside from that though, it was basically a typical Lesnar match.

- The main event was dry, dull, and just plain bad. It was thoroughly uninteresting and it accomplished nothing besides securing the win for NXT (which I didn't give a shit about the brand superiority stuff to begin with so....yeah). The gals didn't mesh well at all and the match was just fell flat. And speculation of a Rousey return, which would have justified having this as the closer, didn't come true, so that made it feel like even more of a waste.

The nicest thing I will say about the show is that they at least kept it to 3 1/2 hours, so it wasn't absurdly long (I didn't watch the preshow). However, I thought the show was overly bloated and uninteresting, the brand war stuff is something I've never really cared about to begin with, so this show didn't do it for me.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Lots of people bag on WWE around here and for good reason. I've pretty much forgotten Smackdown has been on ever since it's moved to Friday, NXT is still pretty good(although feeling stale at times), and Raw is just background noise. In spite of all that, this was a very solid show.

I barely paid attention to the tag battle royal but putting over a team of two jobbers who haven't been wrestling regularly dosen't really do anyone any favors.

The CW and tag matches were both fine but unmemorable.

The women's match was a nice opener. I figured some fuckery was afoot with Candice and Io going to the back early on. Unclean win or not, Ripley still looked like a badass mixing it up with the other women.

Three way matches in WWE have been a big disappointment more often than not as the formula tends to be the same each time. This wasn't the case here as all three worked really well together and featured a lot of sweet segments. Roddy going over was a nice choice.

I only care about Adam Cole as much as who he's wrestling and Pete Dunne is a favorite of mine. This was an entertaining match...BUT...Cole winning was the wrong choice.

They can revamp Bray Wyatt's image all they want but after everything in his career I have little faith in there being any consistency to his programs. The red light just reminded me of Kane's gimmicky matches. There wasn't anything bad about this match, I just didn't care about it, especially with Bryan losing.

Walter getting eliminated right out of the gate was totall bullshit and the crowd seemed to agree. I really want to see one on one matches between he and Strowman/McIntyre. The Riddle/Gable segment was also awesome and I hope we manage to see more of those two mixing it up. On the downside, the whole dissention within teams is a dumb angle to put into SS matches. Rollins and Reigns being the last two from their teams was also bullshit, though Keith Lee looked like an absolute boss against the two of them.

lol Brock wins

The women's three way kind of drug. I'm surprised Shayna went over clean. Looking forward to her inevitable program with Becky.

So all in all, 3.75 out of 5 blunts. An ok show but nothing to write home about.

·
Cutting a Shoot Promo To Get Over
5,419 Posts
Uh...what?

How can the show be great if the booking is atrocious?
A show can have good matches (both 5v5v5, Rey/Brock & Dunne/Cole) but have some bad booking (why did Shayna go over and main event? Why have Walter go out like that? and most of all, why not go 2-2-2! etc), but that doesn't take away from being it overall a very entertaining show where the wrestlers delivered.

·
Waiting for Kawato
783 Posts
Tag Team Battle Royal was a waste of time, but Montez is a total star in the making.

Rush, Tozawa, and Kalisto was also pretty much a waste of time, and that was a damn shame because these three are good, and could have put on a hell of a match had it even felt remotely meaningful, been put together before the very last minute, been given any time, etc.

The tag team three way didn't really catch fire like you would expect it to with those three teams.

The womens Survivor Series match I actually really enjoyed and I was amazed how well they made it work considering the borderline ineptitude of some of the people in the match (the difference in class between some of those people was funny just to behold :lol ) nobody really looked bad, the match was entertaining, they worked storylines into it, I didn't think it ever felt overlong, and the ending was strong. Glad they're going all in on Rhea, thought Bianca looked really good, Io, Kairi, and Asuka are all classy as fuck and it's just a damn shame there wasn't more of them in it, and I still can't believe they introduced Toni Storm like this when she isn't even anywhere on WWE TV at the moment.

The three way between the midcard guys was nowhere near as good as it looked on paper. The amount of 2 in and 1 out was just ridiculous. Still, it was fine, and I liked the finish.

Cole and Dunne was for sure match of the night. Loved that the crowd got the BAYBAY in there when the ring announcer was doing the intros, and that Cole never had any doubt that it was coming (could have gone awkward if he stuck his hand in the air and there was silence :lol )

Bryan really is God. Officially. He made the whole fucking Fiend thing work. He got the crowd into it, he used more intelligent offense in the match with the rollups and submissions, he is the best wrestler in the world. I have no doubt anymore. The man makes WWE singlehandedly worth watching.

I didn't like the mens Survivor Series match anywhere near as much as the womens, primarily I guess because I had higher expectations... I mean just look at this fucking list of names, and... Baron Corbin was just all over it. Gross. Shitted on Walter for no good reason, made Strowman look like a complete dumbass, couldn't give Ali anything but the most meagre bit of offense in his home town (he couldn't eliminate anyone, really?) having fucking Seth Rollins eliminate him was really a great way to do anything but get Seth booed :lol tremendous booking. Glad Keith Lee got the big finish, but they didn't really let him do anything close to what he's capable of. Liked that whole ending and the post-match, loved the Riddle and Gable stuff, but the rest of it was really mediocre. They had all these guys in there like Riddle and Owens and Orton who are super popular, and they just dumped all over them.

Rey turns out another awesome promo, carries this feud to the must watch match of the show, has that AWESOME bit with his son that was probably the single greatest moment on the entire show, and in the end it's all for nothing. Good luck getting anything better than this on the road ahead, Brock.

I'm not sure why the womens match went on last, and it was dying a death until Bayley broke her hip, but the finish was strong. Was amazed how strong they made Shayna look, I mean she really just beat the shit out of them both. NXT got put over huge here, with understandable reasoning, having Becky beat her up at the end was a risky move considering how popular NXT was, and kind of took the edge off of the win.

Still, probably the most successful thing about this whole show is how magically they have set up Rhea vs. Shayna over these two shows this weekend. That match is absolute gold must see stuff right now. The next Takeover is kind of a long way off... Can they drag it out that long without ruining it?

All in all I actually thought it was a pretty decent show :lol I mean these guys have set the bar so low that it doesn't take much to impress, and they definitely did a lot wrong all night long, but there were no terrible matches even in spite of some questionable booking, and it didn't drag on forever. Entertaining stuff.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Horrible show. Didn’t care for the NXTvs.Raw vs. SD, stupid idea. The men’s match was done for another «Reigns wins» moment and was awful. The Lesnar/Mysterio match was one of the worst I have ever seen with the babyfaces acting like jerks just because the heel is much stronger. The fiend is being groomed to job to Reigns. The rest was forgettable trash, not even worth writing two words about.

·
WF's #1 Mox fan.
23,551 Posts
The men’s match was done for another «Reigns wins» moment and was awful.
Yes, there's been so many of those this year, hasn't there? Oh, wait, hold on. That was literally Roman's first big win of the entirety of 2019.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Yes, there's been so many of those this year, hasn't there? Oh, wait, hold on. That was literally Roman's first big win of the entirety of 2019.
He never loses. Sure they are cautious with him, for various reasons, but his push in general has been astronomical. Never has such a mediocre wrestler/tv character had such a push, everybody (Lesnar, Cena e.t.c just to name the last stars that had such a push) had actually something to show, something to offer.

1421 - 1431 of 1431 Posts