Wrestling Forum banner

Surprised that WWE's only direct competitor since WCW has been TNA?

5603 44
Seriously, pro wrestling is a huge business. Millions and millions of viewers each week. The potential is there for a company that's run the right way to make a ton of money, even with WWE being the giant that it is.

So that being said, why is TNA the only real competitor (unfortunately it really hasn't been all that much of a competitor) the WWE has had since WCW was bought out?

One would think that there'd be at least one other rich dude or company out there that would want to invest in an effort to start the next big, serious pro wrestling company.

Which leads me to another question. Let's say that tomorrow, a rich guy like Donald Trump for instance wants to get into the wrestling business and take the WWE down. How long do you think until the new, startup wrestling company gets to the point where it gets a network deal and starts bringing in a decent number of viewers?
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
5,005 Posts
No. TNA is still around because Spike and some energy company pumps money into them. They wouldn't be able to afford Hogan, Sting, Angle and guys like that without help. But its a good thing because wwe needs competition.
There's no point if some rich guy wants to do wrestling he they could just buy TNA lol...
But it would depend on the product if the product is fresh and they have good talent and production value is good it wouldn't take long.
When WCW was NWA and they had low production value (compared to wwf) they were no competition even if they had a quality product. When WCW increased their production value, increased their notoriety and ultimately made their product fresher it didn't take them long at all to challenge wwf. I think it took Bischoff 3 years.

· Banned
4,575 Posts
What's TNA?

· Registered
25 Posts

· Banned
4,575 Posts

· Banned
4,575 Posts

· Banned
4,575 Posts

· Premium Member
4,692 Posts
WCW were bought out in 2001 and TNA was first founded in 2002. As ricockulous a promotion they are, you have to credit them with how damn far they've managed to come in just 9 years... although it appears they've been ramming their heads into a brick wall for about the last 3 of those years.

· Registered
4,724 Posts
I don't know how many member are on this forum. But let's say we all start a pro wrestling company. I don't think it would get far until years upon years. I mean, even if you look at WWE, before the 80's boom, look how long it was around. I think it was the early 1900's.

· Banned
4,575 Posts
I don't know how many member are on this forum. But let's say we all start a pro wrestling company. I don't think it would get far until years upon years. I mean, even if you look at WWE, before the 80's boom, look how long it was around. I think it was the early 1900's.
Capitol Wrestling started in 1942.

EDIT: Apparently Jess was promoting in the 1910s. Shit. You learn something new every day lol.

· Registered
2,887 Posts
As bad as monday night raw was during the entire year of 2009 they were still selling out arenas every week. The wwe machine is entrenched and controls the entire business. No one other than Dixie Carter is willing to sink the money into a wrestling company to compete with McMahons powerhouse company.

Also the mma scene has pushed interest in wrestling to an even lower point. It hasn't helped that McMahon has turned his company into a kiddy fest either. So many attitude era fans have moved on.

Even bringing back Dwayne and Stone Cold is a last desperate gasp from McMahon to revive HIS side of the wrestling business. A rival competitor without the wwe's traveling infrastructure would be so lost breaking into the business. Even if tna worked out all their shit and got on track with good booking they can't compete. There aren't enough wrestling fans left to support multiple companies.

· Registered
301 Posts
Seriously, pro wrestling is a huge business. Millions and millions of viewers each week. The potential is there for a company that's run the right way to make a ton of money, even with WWE being the giant that it is.

So that being said, why is TNA the only real competitor (unfortunately it really hasn't been all that much of a competitor) the WWE has had since WCW was bought out?

One would think that there'd be at least one other rich dude or company out there that would want to invest in an effort to start the next big, serious pro wrestling company.
Because it wouldn't even be considered a high risk investment, it would be a straight up stupid investment and people with financial intelligence don't make stupid investments.

Think about it... In the last decade or so the popularity of sports entertainment has declined rapidly due to many factors including MMA taking away a large chunk of the 18-35 male demographic. Wrestling, whilst still "big business" is in a a major slump atm, for proof look no further than WWE's most recent financials, sure they're not exactly going broke, but their financials are declining. Then of course there's the fact that any prospective company would be going up against the giant, already established corporation that is WWE, who have had a monopoly on the market for over a decade.

With all these factors considered, starting a new wrestling company is clearly an awful idea for an investment.

· Registered
23 Posts
WWE is scared to do regular matches (from back in WWF) like ladder matches, tables matches, cage matches pretty much every week! and there was ALOT of blood and danger happening, but since WWE now has alot of younger audiences, most teens and adults who want to see death defying leaps and guys being thrown onto thumb tacs, they go to TNA and CZW, which is why both companies are rising every year.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.