Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read somewhere that just before Charles Wright was given the Papa Shango gimmick, he wrestled one match in the WWF under the name "Sir Charles". Now this may seem silly but, if they had continued with the Sir Charles name, do you suppose that he would have been given a wrestling knight gimmick?

I can guess they would have had him wrestle wearing attire designed after medieval armor with perhaps a coat of arms on it. They'd probably have him ride to the ring on horseback wearing armor as well as a knight's helmet. I don't know if he'd be a face or a heel, but I can imagine that his promos would be him speaking similar manner to a member of a royal court, he would talk about jousting with his opponents and slaying every dragon in the WWF.

I don't know if it would have gotten over, but it probably would have been better than the voodoo gimmick of Papa Shango. I know the whole knight thing might have been silly but this sounds like something that would have fit in with the wacky characters of late 80's-early 90's WWF at the time.

Do you think Sir Charles would have been better than Papa Shango? Do you think they would have gone with the "wrestling knight" gimmick had he continued to use the Sir Charles name?

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
He was a good worker and had an awesome look. Deserved something better. Papa Shango could have been a success had they backed it up but instead they dropped it like a bad habit. The gimmicks he had later on didn't quite do justice to the talent he had.

Reactions: jpickens

·
Registered
333 Posts
They certainly jobbed him a lot after Sid left, he must have been overjoyed to be repackaged as Kama

The GWF apart from a lot of solid veterans helped bring through and bring experience to among others: Papa Shango, Harlem Heat, X-Pac, Raven, Jerry Lynn, Bradshaw and erm Ahmed Johnson

·
Registered
947 Posts
Wasn’t the gimmick Sir Charles supposed to be a knockoff on Charles Barkley the bad boy athlete similar to what MVP was when debuted?

It looks I’m in the minority but I loved Papa Shango. I was a kid when he was around so to me it didn’t come off as hokey as it does now. With the advances in special effects now I guarantee you this gimmick would get over huge today before Vince and Kevin Dunn ruin it by doing something stupid like projecting bugs on the ring or something like that.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
God No. The Papa Shango Gimmick is still iconic to this day, which is surprising seeing as Charles Wright only used it character for a year and a half. It's also the only real character that Actually scared as a kid and with WWE Pushing more silly cartoon type characters at the time, I don't see a Charles Barkley/ mvp type Character being pushed very hard, Especially with Mr Perfect already on the Roster.

·
Premium Member
15,005 Posts
No.

The gimmick didn't continue for a reason. It had no life. His first match in the company was in May '91. I'm unable to find evidence of him having another match until December.

So, if Sir Charles is that inactive (even at life events), I doubt there was any real plan for the character, especially as Vince told him he had a baby's face, which explains why he didn't make TV until he wore face paint.

·
Registered
4,288 Posts
Sir Charles wasn't a knight. It was a play on Charles Barkley. Charles Wright was supposed to be a basketball player turned wrestler.

As for his matches:

WWF @ Tucson, AZ - Convention Center - May 28, 1991: Sir Charles defeats Dale Wolfe
WWF @ Corpus Christi, TX - Memorial Coliseum - December 2, 1991: Sir Charles defeats an unknown
WWF @ San Antonio, TX - Freeman Coliseum - December 3, 1991: Sir Charles defeats Dale Wolfe
WWF @ Austin, TX - Frank Erwin Center - December 4, 1991: Sir Charles defeats Dale Wolfe

He would debut as Papa Shango the following month on January 7th, defeating Mike Jackson in Daytona Beach, FL.

·
Likes wrestling....
8,223 Posts
Shango was the best gimmick Wright ever had. I know most prefer Godfather, but it was a comedy act that never had any legs. If given an actual non supernatural push as Shango he could have been a main event heel for years, the look was so cool.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Did Papa Shango put a real life curse on The Ultimate Warrior. Because post 1992, Ultimate Warrior seemed to be a part timer (appear every two years).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts