Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Man
25,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another thread I read an Idea someone had bout giving Tarver a supernatural gimmick of him being w bad omen when he's around. That had me wondering. When Undertaker and Kane retire will Vince try to create some kind of new supernatural gimmick. Do we really need someone shooting lightning or controling the lights or fire. I know we have a couple of supermen on the roster but whe the Brothers of Destruction retire will that be it for supernaturals in the WWE. Do we need them

·
Banned
291 Posts
Supernatural gimmicks were pretty common in the 90's. These days, not so much.

For example, from 2004 until present day, Undertaker's gimmick became more normalized year by year.
He's still the dead man but without all the flashiness we saw before.

·
Lose for Hughes!
3,802 Posts
A supernatural gimmick always has the possibility of working IMO. It just depends on how much effort WWE puts into the character's build-up & push... for example Mordecai, a gimmick that had potential but after tons of promos & one squash-match against Scotty 2 Hotty... he supernaturally disappeared.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I doubt we'll get another supernatural gimmick that lasts. You're much more likely to get a guy in generic trunks with prison tattoos who is thoroughly embarrassed on NXT/Tough Enough.

We've seen flashes of successor gimmicks. There was the New Kane, which they aborted because of how bad Festus was. Mordecai could have been neat if he'd survived long enough to have a tangible feud where his gimmick would have gotten over. WWE doesn't seem to have the patience to protect and push these guys until they develop.

·
Banned
3,554 Posts
I really don't care for supernatural gimmicks. Wrestling (and sports entertainment) is all about suspension of disbelief - which is exceptionally difficult when supernatural gimmicks are part of the show.
As seen by your avatar being big evil and not the deadman. I should green rep you for truth.

·
Registered
16,277 Posts
They are kinda my guilty pleasure. I enjoy a good supernatural character - but it is always better when it is subtle like what the other poster suggested about Traver and OTT like Boogeyman (although, I kinda enjoyed him as well at times)

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
In the current PG era they dont really have a lot of wriggle room when it comes to new supernatural characters. The only one even now thats vaguely "supernatural" is the Undertaker, and thats been greatly sanitised as mentioned above. Something like a Papa Shango just wouldnt wash nowadays.

The Tarver suggestion is quite a good one, but I would think it would require quite a long build up to work out correctly. Its no good if they give him 3-4 weeks of build and then get him squashed by someone like Orton.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
I really don't care for supernatural gimmicks. Wrestling (and sports entertainment) is all about suspension of disbelief - which is exceptionally difficult when supernatural gimmicks are part of the show.
This exactly how I feel. The outtdated theatrics of wrestling can be pretty embarrassing; if they booked it like a proper sporting attraction rather than a pantomime, they'd win back some of those fans who've moved on to UFC. When watching with friends, I always cringe when they start the freaky paranormal voodoo shit.

Reactions: Bighead

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,948 Posts
It really depends. Could a character like Undertaker become huge in this era, maybe not. However I do believe that a character like Kane could be big today. If it were like the Kane from 1997 most definetely, since Kane can work without the supernatural part, his size, strength and look would be enough to get him over. But Undertaker is kind've different, Undertaker somewhat relies more on the supernatural elment then Kane. But of course who knows really. I don't think WWE should stop trying to use gimmicks like those. Mordecai had a lot of potential to become a big star.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This exactly how I feel. The outtdated theatrics of wrestling can be pretty embarrassing; if they booked it like a proper sporting attraction rather than a pantomime, they'd win back some of those fans who've moved on to UFC. When watching with friends, I always cringe when they start the freaky paranormal voodoo shit.
I feel the same way. I can't see how people who have never watched wrestling would be enticed by that stuff. I actually like some supernatural TV shows (Buffy and Angel come to mind) but I don't want it anywhere near my freaking wrestling.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Supernatural gimmicks are a thing of the past but bizarre gimmicks could still get over. Most people that get brought up nowadays have absolutely zero back story and I really think giving somebody something out of the ordinary like Kane when he debuted could work. People don't want bolts of lightning and summoning fire anymore, they want something interesting that's also still believable.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts