Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Ok, so I was just wondering this in regards to which you guys thought was the best, I've only played a few of the earlier one's, which I loved, specially Super Mario Land on the Game Boy which was so good, Super Mario 1, 2 and 3 of course which are ace, and not forgetting Mario Kart, which is just awesome, I did play Paper Mario at a friends once when he had this on his N64 console or something and he was mad on it and although I actually thought it was great, I couldn't get hooked onto it like I could the earlier games.

So which for you are the best Super Mario games from all the games that have been released, I thought this could be a nice little thread here.

Also, did any of you hear the single that was released, I think it charted in the UK but not sure, I know it came out around the time of the Tetris track also, and was quite a big deal.

Reactions: SUPA HOT FIRE.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
Yoshi's Island (if it counts)
Super Mario World
Paper Mario
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Super Mario Sunshine
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Mario Party 2

Are my favourites. Others I really really like are Mario 1, Mario 2 (Lost Levels), Mario 3, Mario Land, Mario Land 2, Super Mario RPG, Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart Wii, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Mario Party 3.

There aren't many I don't like though. The only Mario games I can think of that I genuinely dislike (other than those famously shitty ones like Hotel Mario) are Super Paper Mario, the six hours I spent playing Paper Mario Sticker Star, and Mario 2 (the USA one) other than the first world.

Not played Mario 3D World or Bowser's Inside Story yet, both highly rated games, though I own both and will get to them eventually. Don't care for most racing games so even though I usually like Mario Kart I've only played 90 minutes of 8 and will probably never bother with 7 or any other game in the series from this point onward. I also haven't played the Wario Land games in years if you count those. Certainly been long enough that I don't remember them whatsoever.

Yoshi's Island though I think is maybe the best game I've ever played. I will say however it's a different (and much, much, much better) game going for 100% completion instead of just playing through it.

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
You gotta go with Super Mario World here. Mario 3 was great, don't get me wrong. But when the SNES came out and you played Mario World for the first time, you were totally blown away.
Yoshi's Island is a personal favorite of mine as well, although I don't think it gets the recognition it deserves.

·
F*ck off I'm drinking
5,659 Posts
Mario Kart was great, sometimes got together with some friends and a couple of beers and played it in 4 player mode on my tiny TV. Everybody sitting super close because the picture was so small :lol

We also played a lot of Mario Party, really enjoyed that because you could be such a dick in that game. Had a drinking game where the winner of a minigame had to drink a beer in one go, that balanced the whole thing because the winners would be so drunk that they fucked up constantly on the other minigames. And stealing stars made you the ultimate heel

The only other Mario games I played were on the original gameboy and I barely remember them. First one was the game Simpsons Modern Life posted in the OP, don't remember the name of the other one. I finished them both though

·
Indeed
16,945 Posts
My faves are as follows from release:

Super Mario Bros. 2 (US version)
Super Mario World
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario 64
Paper Mario
Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario 3D World

Super Mario Bros. 2 is one of the black sheep, but I enjoy the gameplay. The Mario RPGs are among my favorite games ever, so of course I must include 'em. Super Mario World was the first Mario game I ever played and holds a special place for me. Super Mario 64 was a sight to behold in 1996 and was the first game I had for my N64. I had more fun with Super Mario 3D World than most games this generation (especially on co-op), so it's a given.

·
Life is Good.
3,924 Posts
^Ah... Wario's debut. Now that really takes me back, the soundtracks of 6 Golden Coins were amazing. :watson

Which in turn reminds me of the wonderful Wario Land games. :zayn3

·
Registered
6,694 Posts
I fell out of love with Nintendo after the N64 when they stayed cartoony whilst the competitors went for more realism but I grew up as a Nintendo kid so I can give me opinion on the earlier games I loved.

Super Mario Bros 3 - Easily the best of the NES games for me, Mario 1 had the side scrolling and Mario 2 was just not for me but 3 was possibly my favourite NES game.
Mario Kart - The original SNES one was easily mine and my cousin's most played game for a long time.
Mario 64 - Awesome game, loved it thoroughly.
Mario Kart 64 - Again, awesome game. In fact I don't think I ever played a bad Mario Kart game.

The rest of the games I thought were solid, but it was only really these few which I considered awesome games. Mario is one of those series that never seems to suck but rarely seems to excel either for me personally.

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
I'll just stick to the 2D and 3D Platformers:

Super Mario World (#1 game ever for me)
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 (hard to separate them)
New Super Mario Bros (reinvented the 2D games and is one of the best DS games imo)
Super Mario Bros (gotta include the original, still a classic and I have wonderful memories of it playing with my Grandad)
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (the definitive handheld Mario game until a certain DS game came out)
Super Mario 3D World (doesn't get the love it deserves since its on the Wii U, and is a step down from what the Galaxy games gave us. However its still a fantastic experience and a must own for Wii U owners)
Super Mario Sunshine (screw the haters, I think this was a fantastic follow up to SM 64. I thought the Flood mechanic was great)
Super Mario Bros 2 aka The Lost Levels (one of my biggest gaming achievements is completing this game, including all the extra worlds. Hard as FUCK!)
Super Mario Bros 3 (never been that high on this game in all honesty, but it has grown on me in recent years and I can appreciate it for being one hell of a predecessor to Super Mario World)

I'll stop there. Only missed out a handful, which aren't in any way bad, just not my favourites (yes, I'm not that high on SM 64. Get over it). Never played the 3DS 2D or 3D games though since I don't own a 3DS yet :(.

·
Distant Relative of Former Def Jam Intern/Presiden
16,262 Posts

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
I'll stop there. Only missed out a handful, which aren't in any way bad, just not my favourites (yes, I'm not that high on SM 64. Get over it). Never played the 3DS 2D or 3D games though since I don't own a 3DS yet :(.
You still need to discover how amazing Mario Party can be. Get Stupid Jimmy and Mr. Bean together or whatever your friends names are and fall in love with it.

·
Registered
10,183 Posts
I haven't played them all, I can't imagine how anyone has, but my faves are:

SMB 2 - Or whatever that Japanese game was that they localized into this
SMB 3
Super Mario RPG
Yoshi's Island
Luigi's Mansion
Wario World

Worst:

Super Mario World - This game seemed boring as fuck compared to Sonic the Hedgehog back in the day and it wasn't nearly as good as Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario 64 - One of the most overrated games of all time. My god, the camera was shit, and the levels were boring. Tomb Raider was a far more compelling intro to 3D gaming than this was
Super Mario 3D Land - The game was just boring

·
A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honestly, I used to love this one, I completed this so many times, which I don't think I did with the other Mario's, damn I wish I had a console with these Mario's on, I had a SNES in the loft but when I last went to go find it, I couldn't find it at all, so no idea what's happened to that, I want to play all the Mario's again haha

Reactions: birthday_massacre
1 - 20 of 22 Posts