Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The most Under rated Wrestling card of all time?

HBK vs Hogan
Jordan vs Benoit
Eugene vs Angle
Eddie vs Rey Mysterio
Cena vs Jericho
Batista vs JBL
Matt Hardy vs Edge
Orton vs Undertaker

All matches have an awesome competitor, take away Eugene and Jordan, and thats Wrestlemania standard tbh

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
Wow. That card looks pretty sweet.

Of course the Jordan vs Benoit match would only last, legitimately, 30 seconds.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
One of my favourite PPVs,aside from the 'Taker match,it was perfect.

Edge pwning Matt Hardy,HBK kicking Hogan's head off after their match,perfect!

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
I'll only remember that card for the match it didn't have: Cena vs. Christian for the WWE Title.

Biggest booking blunder of the decade. And it still resonates five years later.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Shawn did a hell of a job with the build to that match. The Larry Bling promo was just great. Considering Jericho was booked to do tours with Fozzy right after why would it have made a difference to book Christian since Jericho was never win the belt either. Really wasted Benoit with a quick tap out that killed any Jordan push for the rest of his wwe career for no reason considering it didn't benefit Benoit at all.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,822 Posts
Yep. Heck of a card. I remember being really excited for this one at the time. It's little wonder it did a big buyrate, if I remember correctly.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
Christian was still gonna lose so it didn't matter that much if Jericho was added to the match.
in hindsight that would have been nice to see

that mian event was pretty good for what it was

2005 was the best year for me as a wrestling fan and this card was one of the reasons why

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
I loved Angle beating the piss out of Eugene as a heel and getting cheered for it. Then at the end he got up on a chair and re-enacted his medal ceremony and got a big pop.

JR said something to the effect of "When Kurt Angle is in this sort of aggressive form, he's untouchable!"

·
Registered
4,677 Posts
Christian was still gonna lose so it didn't matter that much if Jericho was added to the match.
I think what mattered was that is was an message being sent that Christian couldn't headline a match. Clearly the feud was Christian and Cena. Jericho got thrown in there for really no reason, other than star power.

This was a pretty great show.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
I'll only remember that card for the match it didn't have: Cena vs. Christian for the WWE Title.

Biggest booking blunder of the decade. And it still resonates five years later.
This.

Christian & Cena had everything going for them and then creative fucked it all up by drafting Christian to Smackdown. :(

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The most Under rated Wrestling card of all time?

HBK vs Hogan
Jordan vs Benoit
Eugene vs Angle
Eddie vs Rey Mysterio
Cena vs Jericho
Batista vs JBL
Matt Hardy vs Edge
Orton vs Undertaker

All matches have an awesome competitor, take away Eugene and Jordan, and thats Wrestlemania standard tbh
It was a good PPV but it looks better on paper than what it really was.

Jordan vs. Benoit only lasted 27 seconds and in the following weeks Benoit buried Jordan on SmcackDown! by showing things oen can do that last 27 seconds such as making coffee and taking a piss. Never been a fan of Jordan so I didn't mind.

Eddie vs. Rey was a great match even though the storyline had turned to crap by the time.

Batista vs. JBL No Holds Barred wasn't anything special, the Cena vs. JBL I Quit match was much better.

Eugene vs. Angle? No comments...

Orton vs. Undertaker wasn't as good as their WM 21 match but it was still alright.

Cena vs. Jericho was good, but boy I was pissed that Jericho didn't win the title that night, he recently had turned heel, what a waste.

Edge vs. Matt Hardy?! It laste what, 5/6 minutes? Their cage and ladder matches were much better.

HBK vs. Hogan while being a good match it was ruined by HBK's childish overselling, all because Hogan was going over him. BUt Cowabunga, HBK has changed he found Jesus :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
WWE post WrestleMania XX was a mess.

Somehow, things picked up at WrestleMania 21, and RAW and SD from WM 21 to around October were great.

I followed the buildup to SS '05 every week, and looked forward to it as much as I've ever looked forward to a ppv. And I thought it lived up to the hype.

-OJ/Benoit was a non-match, but it was still a hoot to see, and a great apology for their debacle at The Great American Bash a month prior.

-Edge/Hardy was a letdown because of the length, but the shock of Matt getting his ass kicked was something. He got his revenge a month later anyway.

-Guerrero/Mysterio was amazing. I loved the storyline and this was the ultimate pseudo-blowoff. One of my favorite ladder matches.

-Angle/Eugene belonged on TV, and I wish it had been treated more like an actual mid-card match than just a way to build up Angle for Cena.

-UT/Orton wasn't as good as WM 21, but it was still a lot of fun.

-Cena/Jericho was great. Like WWE, I never saw Christian as a main eventer, and I LOVE Christian. I still do. He was a good main eventer in TNA, but that's a whole different battlefield. Cena/Jericho had the star power, it was the clash of anti-heroes, and it was a fun match.

-Batista/JBL was half as long as their first match, and twice as good. It was like "I Quit"-lite: a solid, entertaining brawl that intelligently moved through the crowd, utilized weapons, was kept short, and had a great finish, because these two had no chemistry otherwise.

-Hogan/HBK was a dream match for me, and it's still an amazing sight to see them in the ring together. Politics and comedy selling aside, the atmosphere is so intense for this match, the action so vicious, and whatever I may think of the outcome, I still loved this match. An amazing main event to a great show.

Was it as good as SS '02? Not sure, exactly, but it is one of the best SS events and one of my favorite ppvs of all time.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Christian's mere presence in one-on-one SummerSlam main event title match with Cena would have been enough to establish him as a main eventer. Besides, the feud was always Christian/Cena, never Jericho/Cena; they had been building to Christian/Cena for nearly a year, then dropped it cold without explanation. It was a joke the way they botched that whole situation.

·
Banned
420 Posts
This.

Christian & Cena had everything going for them and then creative fucked it all up by drafting Christian to Smackdown. :(
And was immediately squashed, I dont think i'll ever forgive the WWE for that.

Anyways, this was the only PPV i've ever ordered. I remember being so hyped for HBK and Hogan match along with the Cena and Jericho match. I was just thinking not too long ago, the WWE was very deep roster wise in 2005. I think this could be up there with my favorite years in the WWE.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts