Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think that submission holds are underused? In the past few years there have been very few wrestlers with effective submission holds (Cena's STFU, Taker's Devil's Triangle and Punk's Anaconda Vise) but anyone else locking in a submission move was really just a token gesture. We are seeing a bi of a resurgence with Dolph's Sleeper hold, Bryan's Crossface and Del Rio's Arm Bar but even Jericho rarely gets somebody to tap out of the Walls which was nearly unbreakable in the Attitude era!

I'm just wondering whether anyone else thinks every wrestler should have a submission move or not. For me it makes matches less predictable and adds another dimension!

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
Some guys aren't suited to submission holds, so not everyone needs one but I'd say they are under-used in the WWE.

·
SWAG/SPICE
26,780 Posts
Daniel bryan has a unique crossface technique, so did batista. hart dynasty has the sharpshooter jericho has the walls of jericho. dolf has the sleeper hold jack has the ankle lock I think their is a lot of submissions being used no worries on that part. And what randy did to sheamus a couple of weeks ago looks like the use of chairs is a go as well.

·
Not Bruce Wayne
2,114 Posts
Oh God you want him to kill a guy?

Is that even possible? Like how the heck would one make the transition
hes still has the underhook on his opponents arms when he lands it. after he hits scf he can just move his left leg to the guys other side switch from the under hook to and over hook grab their neck and pull. would be fairly simple.

·
Banned
2,954 Posts
hes still has the underhook on his opponents arms when he lands it. after he hits scf he can just move his left leg to the guys other side switch from the under hook to and over hook grab their neck and pull. would be fairly simple.
or, a move that I love, pull off the SCF, then move his left leg to the guys other side and lock on a full nelson camel clutch, would look much sweeter than a normal camel clutch

·
Registered
837 Posts
If we can swing back to a Ruthless Aggression era where almost everyone had a submission I'd love it. I loved it when Rey didn't reach for the ropes for a long time but just tapped immediately. That's the way submissions should be done. Maybe when Zeke gets back he could use the Stretch Muffler (Brock Lock). It's made for a big muscular guy and it just looks dominating.

·
Not Bruce Wayne
2,114 Posts
If we can swing back to a Ruthless Aggression era where almost everyone had a submission I'd love it. I loved it when Rey didn't reach for the ropes for a long time but just tapped immediately. That's the way submissions should be done. Maybe when Zeke gets back he could use the Stretch Muffler (Brock Lock). It's made for a big muscular guy and it just looks dominating.
This. i dont like how unrealistic it look when someone has a sumbmission on and all its is is 5 mins for someone reaching for the ropes.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Here's a list of superstars who have signature submission holds in WWE today.

Chris Jericho - The Walls of Jericho, Liontamer.
The Hart Dynasty - The Sharpshooter
Daniel Bryan - The LeBell Lock, Cattle Mutilation (?)
John Cena - The STF
William Regal - The Regal Stretch
Alberto Del Rio - Rolling Cross Armbar
Jack Swagger - The Ankle Lock
Dolph Ziggler - The Sleeper
Chris Masters - The Masterlock
The Big Show - The Colossal Clutch
The Undertaker - Hells Gate

I agree that Submission Finishers add much more excitement to a match :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Do you think that submission holds are underused? In the past few years there have been very few wrestlers with effective submission holds (Cena's STFU, Taker's Devil's Triangle and Punk's Anaconda Vise) but anyone else locking in a submission move was really just a token gesture. We are seeing a bi of a resurgence with Dolph's Sleeper hold, Bryan's Crossface and Del Rio's Arm Bar but even Jericho rarely gets somebody to tap out of the Walls which was nearly unbreakable in the Attitude era!

I'm just wondering whether anyone else thinks every wrestler should have a submission move or not. For me it makes matches less predictable and adds another dimension!
Those are two completely different questions and for me, have very different answers.

I DO think that submissions are underused and very under-appreciated. Even the ones that people have mentioned, of late, have been incredibly sloppily applied (Cena, Jericho), or rarely seen (Regal).

That said, I DO NOT think that every wrestler should have a submission move. If you're not trained in submission wrestling, it's just strange. I don't mean to keep piling it on Cena, but the STF was clearly added to his moveset amidst criticism that he couldn't wrestle, and I don't think it has EVER looked that good. Some bigger guys like that have surprised me (Undertaker), but in general, I think submissions have always been best performed by smaller, agile guys... and Canadians.

Overall, I don't think you should use a submission move JUST to have one, but I would like to see more of them if done right.

·
Harvester of Sorrow
12,025 Posts
Personally I don't think a lot of the wrestlers using submission moves now are worthy of using them. Cena, Taker and Batista are not the types you see with Submission moves, they use more powerhouse, brawling type moves. It's like The Rock, he used the Sharpshooter but it didn't suit him at all.

But I think a new resurgance of submission moves are being used E.G Crossface, Ankle Lock and an Armbar. I'd like to see someone break out a Texas Cloverleaf as well, but I don't want it to be the Miz. I want someone new to use it, like maybe Wade Barrett or even Sheamus and just call it the Shamrock since a Shamrock is a 3 leaf clover and happens to be a symbol over here.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts