Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look I am not going to say that pro wrestling is on the verge of greatness again because I don't even know how I would go about explaining that. Judging by all the threads we have all made (including myself) it is apparent that many on here disagree with the booking, failed angles, directionless characters, and harmless debuts. We have moments where we discuss what was really awesome to, or shocking. It's only natural to say that like in any organization, there are good days, and bad days.

No matter how you look at it wrestling as a whole has been lacking something. This may vary to most fans, and I happen to think that as long as we can point what we don't, or do like that conversation won't ever go away. However, what we can't change, or argue about would be the natural chance of talent born for this type of career that is professional wrestling. The same way this stands true for the NFL. Every NFL Draft there is talk of whether, or not this is a "QB" draft. We have had famous NFL Drafts that were famous because they hosted some of the greatest future hall of fame talent in them, the 83', or 04' as an example.

Wrestling has something similar, and it has nothing to do with their WWE Draft (although it should). The WWE just brings up talent, and hopes they go over. Take for example CM Punk, or Daniel Bryan. Hell, take Cena, or Orton who came from OVW. It really doesn't matter, but in the days where it went from the Pipers, Hogans, Harts, Savages, Flairs, to the HBKs, HHHs, Takers, The Rocks, Austin, to the Cenas, Ortons, ??? Yes I am sure I missed a few names prior to Cena, or Orton. That is not the point.

The point is that there are still questions to be raised about who belongs with the likes of Cena, and Orton? Obviously, Punk, and Bryan are going to be up there as well. Give those two men time, and they are going to prove that they are part of this talent on the rise. Yes, I understand Punk has been in the WWE for over 7 years now, and many like myself would say that he is already on board with Cena, and Orton. Daniel Bryan is not to far off behind. Bryan has not been in the WWE as long as CM Punk, but sure enough in two years, or shorter we will be saying the same thing that we say about CM Punk about Daniel Bryan.

With that said I would have to obviously point out the talent that is still on the rise. Right now there are stars like Seth Rollins, Wade Barret, Dean Ambrose, Kassius Ohno, Richie Steamboat, Heath Slater, Dolph Ziggler, The Miz, Cody Rhodes, Antonio Cesaro, and finally Zach Ryder. That are 10 stars right there that I feel all still have tons of time to show that they are top level guys that this business still has plenty of time to showcase. If the WWE plays there cards right this talent is sure to keep the WWE strong, and possibly stronger than it has ever been.

·
Registered
270 Posts
CM Punk is already there.

As far as your expectations for the wrestlers you mentioned go, I disagree for the most part. A lot of the people you listed (Rollins, Cesaro, Ohno, Ambrose, etc) have yet to even prove themselves in the WWE yet, so you holding them up on a pedestal is hardly justified right now.

Ryder will never break the glass ceiling barring a dramatic change of on-sreen persona. Some might argue Miz and Ziggler had their shot already. They are both former world champions and are currently as far from that level as one can get, jobbing every single week and lucky if they're even on ppv's.

The only two stars you mentioned that a case could be made for right now is Barrett and Rhodes.

·
Banned
6,658 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CM Punk is already there.

As far as your expectations for the wrestlers you mentioned go, I disagree for the most part. A lot of the people you listed (Rollins, Cesaro, Ohno, Ambrose, etc) have yet to even prove themselves in the WWE yet, so you holding them up on a pedestal is hardly justified right now.

Ryder will never break the glass ceiling barring a dramatic change of on-sreen persona. Some might argue Miz and Ziggler had their shot already. They are both former world champions and are currently as far from that level as one can get, jobbing every single week and lucky if they're even on ppv's.

The only two stars you mentioned that a case could be made for right now is Barrett and Rhodes.
Rollins, Cesaro, Ohno, and Ambrose have proven themselves to the WWE, and this is why they were all signed to WWE contracts. They are being developed, and that's due to the WWE having a strict style. The WWE hasn't really developed any top tier talent outside of Cena, and Orton. Punk, and Bryan made a name for themselves. The same can be said for these men who were from the Independent scene as they all were. Being established outside of the WWE is a very hard thing to do, and these men have done it.

They have "it". All of those "it" factors vary amongst each star, but they all have "it". Guys like HHH, Jim Ross, William Regal, Austin and others typically don't spill the beans on talent unless there is a real need to do so. Granted they have done nothing yet, except keep interest amongst fans who haven't even seen them on major network television wrestling shows. We aren't looking at rookies of the ring here because these men have worked on their craft for years long now, and they aren't exactly new to the game.

Their is no real reason why Ryder wouldn't turn heel down the line, and completely turn his back on the fans that made him a "flash in the pan" superstar. A Ryder heel turn could be the exact thing that he made need, and huge character overhaul in which he isn't so much of a "gimmick" anymore. A settled, more mature Zach Ryder who is focused on himself, and his future as a member of the WWE Hall of Fame. Ryder's breakout stardom did help him because fans won't forget about him. If he can break that wall, and show some real character I think he could be a huge star.

The Miz is hardly done with his time in the WWE as well. You act as if he had his chance, and now he is done. This kid has plenty of time to add bulk, and grow a beard in which people will start calling him the next "HHH". Because that's exactly who this kid could end up being compared to should he add on muscle mass, and become the heel that he knows he can be. He knows how to keep his name relevant, and that is why The Miz has a solid future ahead of him. He is creative, and in touch with today's crowd. Give him some time he will be a 6 time World's champion in no time. Remember he defeated Cena at Wrestlemania 27. That is a big deal.

Wade Barret was sidelined with a horrible arm injury, and outside of that injury I think he was on the verge of a solid push. I don't know about you, but I wish the WWE would set up another classic feud that they have been missing for years. Sheamus vs Wade is just a classic in the waiting. I like Wade's style, and he is big enough to match most on the WWE roster. He is solid on the mic, and he was winner of the first NXT. Meaning he is the future of the WWE. Wade has history making possibilities as well. He could be the first ever British born WWE World's champion. As a wrestling fan that is a big deal to me. It gives him worth, or a goal at best.

Cody Rhodes isn't quite ready yet, but he is proving to be a valuable asset to the company, and he will be main eventing very soon. He has everything, and more that his father, and his brother completely lacked. Rhodes is another one who I think could be one of the leaders on the show Smackdown. Similar to how Edge, Angle, and Taker were at one point. Rhodes would wear that Smackdown WHC well, the same way he gave credibility back to Intercontinental title. Why wouldn't you want him to hold the WHC? I'm talking 10x Smackdown WHC over the next 6 years. He could explain that he wants to do what his father could never do, and that's break Ric Flair's record. He may never do it, but he could fail at 10. That would be his goal.

Look, Dolph Ziggler isn't just the IWC. Many backstage love this man's charisma, ring work, and desire for the business. Nash wasn't the only person who thinks that Dolph is the future of the company. These men don't need to bullshit there way through for someone else. Talent knows talent, and I think with all the talk about Ziggler's potential it puts in to place his rise to stardom. The Show Off is a great nickname, and his look is certainly original. He is not a rip off of Hennig, or Billy Gunn. There aren't many stars that are as solid as him in the ring, and it will not go unnoticed.

I'm not going to sit here, and say that these men will be stars overnight. However, I think the WWE is coming to a point where the cream of the crop is starting to form. They have talent right now, and it will take time for all of that talent to actively progress, and then succeed at the same time. You can't "push" everybody on the roster, but there are those who are just going to go to the top. You can't put a time, or month on it, but it was bound to happen. These men will be the future of the company.

·
Premium Member
19,306 Posts
The WWE roster has always had a good amount of young talent, with the exception of 1995. It was a bit.... bad. It's just, will they use the talent correctly?

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
The WWE roster has always had a good amount of young talent, with the exception of 1995. It was a bit.... bad. It's just, will they use the talent correctly?
Totally disagree...they had guys like Adam Bomb and Mantaur :(

·
Registered
299 Posts
Am I the only person who wants them to give Yoshi Tatsu a chance? I have no idea why but I love the guy.

Titus and Darren are a solid tag team and I can see them going far given the chance.

·
My name is 905 and I've just become alive
5,111 Posts
Am I the only person who wants them to give Yoshi Tatsu a chance? I have no idea why but I love the guy.

Titus and Darren are a solid tag team and I can see them going far given the chance.
I'm sure Yoshi wants a push. His mother would probably like to see him succeed as well. The problem is that WWE doesn't value Japanese talent, there are countless EXTREMELY talented Japanese wrestlers, and Yoshi Tatsu is not one of those.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'm sure Yoshi wants a push. His mother would probably like to see him succeed as well. The problem is that WWE doesn't value Japanese talent, there are countless EXTREMELY talented Japanese wrestlers, and Yoshi Tatsu is not one of those.
Bow down to Lord Tensai :vince3

·
Banned
882 Posts
I am confident of WWE's future. Some go on and on about the weak roster, but there is a lot of potential, not to mention the upcoming talent who aren't on the main roster. But no worries, they will watch when some of these stars hit it big and claim to be believers all along. God I hate fairweather fans.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
this year should be great year for WWE in term of Talent...one of the guy WWE should repack him is Brodus Clay, i can imagine him being Mark Henry heel character which i believe and from what i hear that is his idea but vince put on Mark Henry so Clay went with gay ass dancing dude.

Damien Sandow did well with intellectual character which fits perfectly for him...he really hit the jackpot.

i guess we all waiting on Ambrose to make an impact...

·
Registered
928 Posts
The WWE would need any talent to have good enough speaking skills in order to cut a promo and mush of Japan's top talent are skilled enough in English to be viable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts