Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can they package this guy with a little more gusto please? Show him moshing at a Korn concert or some shit, idk.
Ok but in all seriousness guys.
Now that HHH Is in charge, you can finally stop perpetuating this climate where the top babyfaces are somehow against the system or have the system working against them, and have to bring about change and all this NONSENSE.
It was FINE when Punk did It, but fan morale Is nowhere near as bad as It was 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago, facts. Austin Theory and Drew McIntyre and even Roman Reigns are nowhere near as pampered and protected as Supercena was. You have a fairly fresh rotation of guys on top now, yeah i get the Roman Reigns fatigue, but he's the centerpiece of a heel faction, it's been done before with Evolution, The Cabinet, DX 2000, The Corporation, The Corporate Ministry. It's a proven dynamic that works, if you want a long term heel champion.
And tbh, Kevin Owens himself as built more goodwill with the wrestling purists than Punk has. He can wrestle circles around Punk, i'm just being honest, Best In The World my ass.
If you really want him and Gargano as anti authority figures, having a heel GM figure is the way to go, have Pearce go full fledged heel. But please stop the breaking the fourth wall shit.

Inviato dal mio RMX3201 utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,191 Posts
Well, there is not much else Kevin Owens can do. It's not like he's going to get in shape and make a big character change because he's always been lazy when it comes to his body. There is limited options for Kevin, especially considering he's 38 now and his best years are behind him.

So it's seems the best the creative team can come up with is have him go out there and act like a wannabe CM Punk and cry about how Austin Theory has been handed opportunities because Austin Theory looks like an actual professional wrestler, while guys like Kevin Owens and Johnny Gargano who look like fans - had to work for years to get where they are in the WWE. In any other era Kevin Owens and Johnny Gargano would be lucky to even be employed. There is a reason why it took Kevin Owens 15 years to even make it to the WWE. In previous eras they wouldn't have been interested in this short fat guy, because regardless of how he can work in the ring and on the mic, he just doesn't look believable and he doesn't look like he gives a shit about his appearance either. No one at the airport who doesn't watch wrestling would ever think Kevin Owens was a pro wrestler. He has no aura or starpower. He looks like the average joe who hasn't stepped in a gym a day in his life.

But despite that, Kevin Owens does have some talent, he's pretty good in the ring and on the mic and he has his place on the roster, but I just think the creative direction is kinda dumb. The look always has and always will be - an aspect of professional wrestling. Pro wrestlers are supposed to be larger then life and not look like the average Joe. If Kevin Owens was motivated he could get in great shape, but he doesn't, and instead the creative direction is for Kevin to complain about the fact that guys who look like him took years to make it to the WWE, which comes across as sour grapes and blaming his own shortcomings. If Kevin Owens took his body and appearance seriously maybe it wouldn't have taken 15 years for him to get to the WWE.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
It was FINE when Punk did It, but fan morale Is nowhere near as bad as It was 10 years ago, or even 5 years ago, facts.
Are you drunk? When Punk did it, they averaged almost two millions more than they do now. How is fan morale not as bad? Most people don't care about WWE anymore, and if they do, they shit all over their product.

I wouldn't call "admitting defeat" having high morale, but to each his own I guess.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are you drunk? When Punk did it, they averaged almost two millions more than they do now. How is fan morale not as bad? Most people don't care about WWE anymore, and if they do, they shit all over their product.

I wouldn't call "admitting defeat" having high morale, but to each his own I guess.
That's a fair point, but i'm talking about more from a live crowd reaction standpoint, they don't hijack shows, they don't boo the top babyfaces and so on and so fourth.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
That's a fair point, but i'm talking about more from a live crowd reaction standpoint, they don't hijack shows, they don't boo the top babyfaces and so on and so fourth.

Well yeah, but that doesn't mean all fans are happy; rather, that those who aren't happy have decided to do the only sensible thing: stop giving them money.

·
KAMEHAMEHA!
18,908 Posts
I think it's kinda endearing. If anybody would break the 4th wall, it's Kevin Owens, who could literally murder a guy in 2 mins but looks like a street bum.

Appearances can be deceiving.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I wish they let Kevin Owens cut promos like CM Punk. Triple H seems to have a very similar mindset to Vince though when it comes to booking babyfaces, making them rah rah Cena superhero types. Punk has killer insults whether he's a babyface or heel. Doesn't matter. Why can't Owens do the same? Owens is not a god damn say your prayers and take your vitamins guy, and this is the booking they are giving him, and I can't enjoy the guy at all right now even though he's my favourite talent in the company. And his promo on Raw was really stupid because him and Gargano have nothing in common. Owens is capable of cutting top notch promos, while Gargano can't talk for shit and looks like a clown D list actor goofball with his facial expressions when he's 'attempting to act'. Owens and Johnny Sameface couldn't be more different.

Just give me some god damn edgy insults, KO. Telling a heel to shut up and calling them pathetic are less edgy insults than I would expect to hear from a 7 year old. At 7 or 8, I was already hearing curse words around the playground. Oh, but the charisma, you say? No. Owens has just been going out there the last few weeks and just screaming his promos. Well, screaming your promos doesn't automatically make them good if the content is still shit. And if I was a Owens hater saying all of this, that'd be one thing, but he's my favourite talent in the company when they actually let him go off on that mic. I don't give a shit that he's fat or not roided up. He looks like a legit tough guy to me.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
None of his promos fall under the "pipe bomb" umbrella. He's cutting regular wrestling promos. Do fans actually know what a shoot promo is? A pipbomb/shoot promo is peeling back the 4th curtain, none of what Owens is doing does that. Making references to things here and there is not a pipebomb.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
They're not pipebombs but this whole "I'm screaming and I'm passionate" promo got old for me.

My man's screaming and shouting for a fucking random singles match on RAW and shit. Keep that stuff when you fight for something meaningful.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts