Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Being at RAW on Monday and seeing how much everyone, including myself, enjoyed the show, particularly the Santino/Sheamus segment, opened my eyes up to the fact that some people take pro wrestling way too seriously.

It's only meant to be a fun TV show, several hours of escapism each week, not Shakespeare for gods sake. It's a form of entertainment that in theory, is pretty ridiculous in the first place and the fact that I've been watching so long, WWE in particular, is a credit to everyone involved for making something so ridiculous so entertaining that I'll probably never stop watching completely.

We shouldn't even know about all of these crappy ''insider terms'' , what goes on backstage and what the plans for the future are. The dirtsheets are the worst thing that ever happened to wrestling. Instead of watching the product with an open mind, people are talking about how ''OMG, HE GOT BURIED!'' and ''PREDICTABLE!''. Seriously, when has wrestling not been just a tad predictable? Oh, Triple H married Stephanie McMahon? Yeah, I couldn't give a shit. He's there to entertain me and he does that, therefore he's one of my favourites. Whatever he does apart from two hours he's on TV a week is none of my business. Stuff like that is just as lame as the media stalking celebrities every week.

I'm not saying you can't criticise anything, I criticise things I don't like but some people criticise every every little detail so much that they're obviously looking for things to hate.

The wrestlers themselves more than likely laugh at the people on the internet that take it so seriously. They put their bodies on the line 300 days a year to entertain us, that is the only part of it that should be taken seriously.

All I want from a wrestling show is s fun show with some entertaining, logical storylines. I don't like the Guest Hosts and Divas taking up time in lame comedy segments but other than that, I can honestly say I don't have much of a problem with the WWE product and I certainly couldn't care less about the PG rating.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
I agree. Even though im not too fond of the product right now, some of the things people bitch about is just baffling. Its obvious they don't know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The thing is that sometimes people, myself included, have a problem reconciling what the WWE is and what they want it to be. You're right about people caring too much about what goes on back stage, who has influence, etc. The thing is, when you care about something the way a lot of us care about WWE, then you can't help but be opinionated, and get angry when you see them doing things that are stupid. What it all boils down to is that we all have ideas about what we would like to see happen in the WWE, and when they go in the complete opposite direction with a certain character or storyline, its very frustrating.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
The thing is that sometimes people, myself included, have a problem reconciling what the WWE is and what they want it to be. You're right about people caring too much about what goes on back stage, who has influence, etc. The thing is, when you care about something the way a lot of us care about WWE, then you can't help but be opinionated, and get angry when you see them doing things that are stupid. What it all boils down to is that we all have ideas about what we would like to see happen in the WWE, and when they go in the complete opposite direction with a certain character or storyline, its very frustrating.
Sometimes I think people are too quick to form their opinions on a storyline and don't give it enough time to play out. Like I remember The PPV before the one where Barret beats John Cena, people were saying shit like "OMFG nexus looks weak now just end it. Nexus is over blah blah blah" Little did they know that the next PPV Barret BEAT Cena and Cena had to join Nexus taking the storyline in a completely new direction.

I think people just gotta sit back and watch at times, and when things play out long enough, THEN form your opinions and bitch.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Being at RAW on Monday and seeing how much everyone, including myself, enjoyed the show, particularly the Santino/Sheamus segment, opened my eyes up to the fact that some people take pro wrestling way too seriously.

It's only meant to be a fun TV show, several hours of escapism each week, not Shakespeare for gods sake. It's a form of entertainment that in theory, is pretty ridiculous in the first place and the fact that I've been watching so long, WWE in particular, is a credit to everyone involved for making something so ridiculous so entertaining that I'll probably never stop watching completely.

We shouldn't even know about all of these crappy ''insider terms'' , what goes on backstage and what the plans for the future are. The dirtsheets are the worst thing that ever happened to wrestling. Instead of watching the product with an open mind, people are talking about how ''OMG, HE GOT BURIED!'' and ''PREDICTABLE!''. Seriously, when has wrestling not been just a tad predictable? Oh, Triple H married Stephanie McMahon? Yeah, I couldn't give a shit. He's there to entertain me and he does that, therefore he's one of my favourites. Whatever he does apart from two hours he's on TV a week is none of my business. Stuff like that is just as lame as the media stalking celebrities every week.

I'm not saying you can't criticise anything, I criticise things I don't like but some people criticise every every little detail so much that they're obviously looking for things to hate.

The wrestlers themselves more than likely laugh at the people on the internet that take it so seriously. They put their bodies on the line 300 days a year to entertain us, that is the only part of it that should be taken seriously.

All I want from a wrestling show is s fun show with some entertaining, logical storylines. I don't like the Guest Hosts and Divas taking up time in lame comedy segments but other than that, I can honestly say I don't have much of a problem with the WWE product and I certainly couldn't care less about the PG rating.

i somehow think this thread will get closed, but it shouldnt because you are dead on! the internet and wrestlings over exposure in general is what has hurt the business the most. nice job.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
i somehow think this thread will get closed, but it shouldnt because you are dead on! the internet and wrestlings over exposure in general is what has hurt the business the most. nice job.
This was bound to happen sooner or later no matter what. The wrestling business just needs to try harder to fool the audience and keep us on the edge of our seats. Personally I don't think wrestling has been taken to that next level(in WWE) and I think the WWE needs to present their product in a fresh new way.(and PG isn't what I had in mind)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I agree with the sentiments of the OP. Being at an event live is a totally different experience to watching it on TV. Hell, Ive even gone crazy cheering for Rhino before and I usually couldnt care less every time he appears on TV. Live events are for people to enjoy, watching on TV is not the same experience and thats why armchair fans are more critical.
The thing I find most annoying about internet message boards is when people complain about the crowd. Newsflash - these people are actually taking time, effort and money to go to these event while you sit on TV and bitch about it. Now tell me whos a better fan.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
This was bound to happen sooner or later no matter what. The wrestling business just needs to try harder to fool the audience and keep us on the edge of our seats. Personally I don't think wrestling has been taken to that next level(in WWE) and I think the WWE needs to present their product in a fresh new way.(and PG isn't what I had in mind)
that will just piss off everyone that takes this stuff too seriously...eventually, they'll stop being fans. the objective is to draw fans in, not push them away. but you're right, they need to fool us in a way that won't push fans away.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I agree with the sentiments of the OP. Being at an event live is a totally different experience to watching it on TV. Hell, Ive even gone crazy cheering for Rhino before and I usually couldnt care less every time he appears on TV. Live events are for people to enjoy, watching on TV is not the same experience and thats why armchair fans are more critical.
The thing I find most annoying about internet message boards is when people complain about the crowd. Newsflash - these people are actually taking time, effort and money to go to these event while you sit on TV and bitch about it. Now tell me whos a better fan.
i love the people who do that. i love it when they complain about the crowd being dead or whatever. you're not there. you don't know what the crowd is like.. sometimes the crowd just doesn't transfer well on tv. thats like any sport. but it isn't always an indication that the crowd is dead...or the crowd is hot for that matter either. i also like the argument when someone says "obvious piped in crowd noise"...shut the fuck up. you don't know what you're talking about. you're not there. just shut the fuck up. if you don't like what you're watching, put football on...or put tgif on. or better yet, go out and do something!

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
that will just piss off everyone that takes this stuff too seriously...eventually, they'll stop being fans. the objective is to draw fans in, not push them away. but you're right, they need to fool us in a way that won't push fans away.
Stuff like a magic midget and even the Undertaker at times is getting a little silly and intelligence insulting. I know the WWE is going with the whole "Its entertainment not reality!" thing but I think nowadays in 2010 the over the top characters and colorful gimmicks is whats driving people away from the business. I wish the WWE would have more PERSONALITIES and not "characters" if you know what I mean. More guys like The Miz, Y2J, CM Punk, Wade Barret, etc. instead of cartoon characters like Sheamus, Goldust, Kane, Tyler Reks the Barbrian, etc.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Stuff like a magic midget and even the Undertaker at times is getting a little silly and intelligence insulting. I know the WWE is going with the whole "Its entertainment not reality!" thing but I think nowadays in 2010 the over the top characters and colorful gimmicks is whats driving people away from the business. I wish the WWE would have more PERSONALITIES and not "characters" if you know what I mean. More guys like The Miz, Y2J, CM Punk, Wade Barret, etc. instead of cartoon characters like Sheamus, Goldust, Kane, Tyler Reks the Barbrian, etc.
yeah i know what you mean... but where i disagree with that is, most of the characters or personalities seem like "reality". they have normal names. normal stories. and then everyone calls them boring...i.e. randy boreton....which i just don't fucking get but thats for another thread. i think the main problem among the superstars is that they're all so young. yes, it might be in their blood, but they haven't developed themselves yet. they're fast tracked and really aren't all that ready. swagger was ready...because he could wrestle. sheamus, barrett, bryan, kaval, they've been wrestling for a long time, they're ready. but a lot of these other guys...they're talented as far as wrestling skills...but they can't do anything else. thats where the territories came in to play years ago. they'd learn their craft etc... years ago, the "rookies" were all like 30 years old with 10 years in the business...for the most part...very few exceptions.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
yeah i know what you mean... but where i disagree with that is, most of the characters or personalities seem like "reality". they have normal names. normal stories. and then everyone calls them boring...i.e. randy boreton....which i just don't fucking get but thats for another thread.
Lol I think the guys your talking about are guys like Pyro. I can understand if people want the over-the-topness and colorful characters but sometimes I think the WWE takes it too far. Guys like CM Punk, Jericho, etc. don't really have gimmicks yet people don't find them boring. So I don't see how making it more bound to reality is such a bad thing. You just gotta get the guys to present themselves right and in a colorful manner(Mic work obviously).

i think the main problem among the superstars is that they're all so young. yes, it might be in their blood, but they haven't developed themselves yet. they're fast tracked and really aren't all that ready. swagger was ready...because he could wrestle. sheamus, barrett, bryan, kaval, they've been wrestling for a long time, they're ready. but a lot of these other guys...they're talented as far as wrestling skills...but they can't do anything else. thats where the territories came in to play years ago. they'd learn their craft etc... years ago, the "rookies" were all like 30 years old with 10 years in the business...for the most part...very few exceptions.
Yea thats the downside to pushing the young guys right away. Especially guys that haven't been in the indys developing a character and trying new things. I think the WWE is so starved for stars at the moment they sorta feel the need to because its not too long until guys like Taker, Mysterio, etc are gonna be gone from the company.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Lol I think the guys your talking about are guys like Pyro. I can understand if people want the over-the-topness and colorful characters but sometimes I think the WWE takes it too far. Guys like CM Punk, Jericho, etc. don't really have gimmicks yet people don't find them boring. So I don't see how making it more bound to reality is such a bad thing. You just gotta get the guys to present themselves right and in a colorful manner(Mic work obviously).

Yea thats the downside to pushing the young guys right away. Especially guys that haven't been in the indys developing a character and trying new things. I think the WWE is so starved for stars at the moment they sorta feel the need to because its not too long until guys like Taker, Mysterio, etc are gonna be gone from the company.
idk, it seems like the overwhelming majority of this forum feels that way about guys like orton, dibiase etc.. i don't feel that way, but it appears that a lot of people do. and punk and jericho have been in the business a long time as well...they know what they're doing..and i think if they were faces everyone would hate them too. maybe it's JUST this forum.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Totally agree with the OP. I seldomly watched a full episode of Raw in 09 until right around December. Lately I've been sitting down to watch shows and ppv's with a clear mind and just try to enjoy it for what it is and it seems like I'm enjoying everything now more than I have in years.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Oh yeah. I'm not saying you can't complain about anything mate. Some stuff is extremely stupid, like Hornswoggle and dumb guest host segments (although they have cut out a lot of both this year and that is why I've enjoyed 2010 a hell of a lot) but the thing is, people don't just complain about the stuff like that. They complain about EVERYTHING. It's just when people nitpick every little thing that is starts to annoy me.

I definitely see what you mean about the over the top characters. The colourful characters don't work anymore but for me, WWE have started to realised that. There aren't that many over the top gimmick left anymore if you ask me. For the most part, the only ones left are gimmicks that people have had for years, like Taker, Kane and Goldust. Some people like that, others don't and think everyone is generic.

Personally, I like it and if you have charisma like Cena, Barrett and Miz then you stand out from the crowd anyway. Seeing Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior scream at the top of their lungs now during promos would be just a bit cringeworthy.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Totally agree with the OP. I seldomly watched a full episode of Raw in 09 until right around December. Lately I've been sitting down to watch shows and ppv's with a clear mind and just try to enjoy it for what it is and it seems like I'm enjoying everything now more than I have in years.
agreed. even though, sometimes this forum is far more entertaining then the product on the screen.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Oh yeah. I'm not saying you can't complain about anything mate. Some stuff is extremely stupid, like Hornswoggle and dumb guest host segments (although they have cut out a lot of both this year and that is why I've enjoyed 2010 a hell of a lot) but the thing is, people don't just complain about the stuff like that. They complain about EVERYTHING. It's just when people nitpick every little thing that is starts to annoy me.

I definitely see what you mean about the over the top characters. The colourful characters don't work anymore but for me, WWE have started to realised that. There aren't that many over the top gimmick left anymore if you ask me. For the most part, the only ones left are gimmicks that people have had for years, like Taker, Kane and Goldust. Some people like that, others don't and think everyone is generic. Personally, I like it. Seeing Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior scream at the top of their lungs now during promos would be just a bit cringeworthy.
like wrist tape?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
like wrist tape?
Wrist tape, the colour of tights, the colour of ring ropes, the entrance ramp, the camera angles, height, weight, colour, creed, nationality, accent, number of words in a sentence, the length of someone's hair, the circumference of someone's head, the size of someone's (HHH) nose...:lmao

You name it, somebody on the internet will have complained about it.

·
STRONGER THAN A BEAR, FASTER THAN A BUCK!
2,092 Posts
IT'S REAL TO ME DAMMIT!

Reactions: TKOW
1 - 20 of 25 Posts