Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm watching Smackdown and the Big Show return segment aired half an hour ago. And then WWE showed their horrendous basic counting skills by saying that Show was on the shelf for four months.

July 17-October 4 (ok, I'll give them the October 7 airdate) = not even three full months.

Was there some production meeting and someone said, "Oh, we're gonna say Show was out four months instead of the 2.5 he really was,"? Who let's this crap get to air, especially on a pre-taped show?

WWE overexaggerates everything. If an episode of Raw happened on the last day of the month, and the announcers on Smackdown were recapping something that happened, I swear the highlight graphic would say "Last month" rather than "Last Monday".

Seriously, it's basic freaking math skills! Ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
16,230 Posts
It's marketing man. Making someone have to think back when Big Show was injured, and they instead just say "WOW, 4 months ago! I remember that like it was aa few weeks ago!" Then they feel in the loop and get a sense of loyalty to the WWE brand thus buying more merchandise or staying tuned. People also feel smarter if they can recall something that happened '4 months ago' rather than 'last monday.' Hence we have people dropping Hall of Fame names constantly (because the people who knew them when they wrestled feel good at being in the loop).

Reversely, they'll hype up PPV with something like ' only 21 days away!' that's 3 weeks, normal time, and a bit of time. But saying days sounds like less time and makes you remember it much easier and say 'well in that case I'll be there!'

I just learned a lot about this in Marketing Psychology.

and that's not even real class, but since you thought I took that class, you might have believed what I said that much more. I am Awesome.

·
Proud Pastafarian =)
4,051 Posts
It's marketing man. Making someone have to think back when Big Show was injured, and they instead just say "WOW, 4 months ago! I remember that like it was aa few weeks ago!" Then they feel in the loop and get a sense of loyalty to the WWE brand thus buying more merchandise or staying tuned. People also feel smarter if they can recall something that happened '4 months ago' rather than 'last monday.' Hence we have people dropping Hall of Fame names constantly (because the people who knew them when they wrestled feel good at being in the loop).

Reversely, they'll hype up PPV with something like ' only 21 days away!' that's 3 weeks, normal time, and a bit of time. But saying days sounds like less time and makes you remember it much easier and say 'well in that case I'll be there!'

and that's not even real class, but since you thought I took that class, you might have believed what I said that much more. I am Awesome.
how does it feel to suck your own dick?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
So if he would suffer the injury on the 25th of Febuary and returned on 5th of March, he would basically miss 2 months of shows?
this really sums up the whole thread :lmao

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
I really thought it was 4 months, but then they showed the MITB stuff and said it was in july and that sorta ruined it.

·
Fear Me!
3,444 Posts
Yeah, it was 3 months not 4 months. Meh, whatever. Maybe they wanted to make it seem like Henry had put Big Show on the shelf for longer.

·
Registered
548 Posts
It wasn't even quite 3 months, as the OP said. I noted this, and couldn't understand how they were actually allowed to say 4 months when it was nowhere near...

Marketing or not, that's a blatant lie.

·
Sleeps nude in an oxygen tent.
4,745 Posts
Sittin' through the entire second half of smackdown with my arms folded because they exaggerated the number

·
Dios perdona, los Perros... NO!
3,915 Posts
Add an extra month and a bit because PPVs only happen "every month", and yet HiaC was two weeks after NoC. It seriously throws out their understanding of time when they do stuff like that to soapy writers.

Fucking Africans.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
So if he would suffer the injury on the 25th of Febuary and returned on 5th of March, he would basically miss 2 months of shows?
Nope. People have bad memories these days, but not that bad. Now if you said January 25th and 3 months, then you would have something. And even then it would depend on the angle. If they're trying to get sympathy, then they make Big Show's suffering look as bad as possible by saying 4 months instead of 3. If they're playing up how tough he is, they'll shorten it and say he came back faster than expected.

I don't see why it's a big deal. But if someone is mad at this, then you should be raging over the fact that Sheamus still hasn't gotten his King of the Ring title shot.

·
This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things
8,661 Posts
The really funny thing is it hasn't even been three months. They do this all of the time though with how long guys are gone. Wait until Rock wrestles and they say he hasn't in ten years.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I dont see the big deal here. This is something EVERY show does on TV. He got injured June 17 so its been nearly 4 months since he got injured. There is no point in saying its been 3.5 months.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts