Wrestling Forum banner

Stone Cold winning 3 Royal Rumbles in 5 years:Unbreakable Record?

1620 Views 18 Replies 18 Participants Last post by  Bobby Brainbuster
Winner in 97,98,01.
And coming second in 99.

And it came in the peak of attitude era with stars like Rock,HHH,Taker,Kane,Foley,HBK,Bret Hart.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
1,167 Posts
Yes if i recall we haven't had a repeat winner since 2001 when austin last won it, even vince knows with his stale product and the need for new stars he can't afford to give cena another rumble which he doesn't need or any other previous winner aswell.

· Banned
577 Posts
I dont call myself a 'born smark' but when those rumble wins actually happened, i hated it. It's funny that all the superman shit that austin did back in the day is worshipped by some fanboys, while the same thing if done by Cena, is crapped upon by the same fans.

Anyway, coming to the topic, it can happen if WWE invests proper time & booking-direction into a superstar's character. They CAN convincingly do it, granted the star is worth it.

· Banned
5,164 Posts
I could see either one of Cena or Orton doing it. Don't forget, Orton was a real contender to win this year's Rumble even though he won it back in 2009.

· Registered
7,601 Posts
I would be very surprised if anyone went on to win three Royal Rumble's in five years like Stone Cold Steve Austin did in between 1997 and 2001 because there are two seperate main title's now with the WWE title on Raw and the World title on SmackDown meaning that there are now more possibilities in people who could win. When you look at Raw there is John Cena, Triple H and Randy Orton who would be very realistic in winning any year and then over on SmackDown there is The Undertaker, Kane, Rey Mysterio and Edge who would also be very realistic in winning any year.

Back in that era though it was hard to see anyone else beat Stone Cold Steve Austin because The Rock was the only other man you could see realistically being an alternative and they were only ever both top face's in the 2001 match. In 1997 though the win was booked to be tainted and a cheated win to further the feud between Stone Cold Steve Austin and Bret Hart going into In Your House: Final Four and also to keep Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart apart until WrestleMania 13, the win in 1998 was never going to go to anyone else because when you look at it going into WrestleMania 14 it was always going to be Austin/Michaels for the WWE title.

What i could see happening though is someone equalling Stone Cold Steve Austin's record of three win's because i believe Stone Cold Steve Austin was 37 years old when he won his third and final rumble whereas John Cena is 33 years old so could very easily go on to win another two rumble matches before he retired as barring injury i see John Cena being around until his early to mid 40's and he is so far ahead of everyone else as the undisputed top guy he will continue main eventing WrestleMania. Another one is Randy Orton is only 31 years old and is the most likely to take over from John Cena if Vince McMahon decided to push a new face of the company so over the next decade could very well go on to win another two rumble matches or even maybe break Stone Cold Steve Austin's record.

· Registered
2,491 Posts
Unlike professional sports I don't think records have any true meaning in "sports entertainment". The Promoter decides who gets what when and where, he can chose whoever breaks that record whenever he wants to.

· Registered
5,034 Posts
The only way I can see this streak or record being broken is by the next big face of the company in another era. Like in at least 5 years.

· The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla
5,143 Posts
Well, if anyone is going to match or break this record, then its Cena. Can easily see him winning a few more Rumbles in the future. Hogan and stone cold both won more than one rumbles, and Vince is clearly very high on moulding Cena into the next hogan/stone cold, so I think another rumble win for cena is required for vince to fullfil this need.

· Registered
5,034 Posts
Well, if anyone is going to match or break this record, then its Cena. Can easily see him winning a few more Rumbles in the future. Hogan and stone cold both won more than one rumbles, and Vince is clearly very high on moulding Cena into the next hogan/stone cold, so I think another rumble win for cena is required for vince to fullfil this need.
I think Vince already made Cena into another Stone Cold or Hulk Hogan.

· Registered
104 Posts
The only man I ever thought would ever get 3 wins after austin was HBK never mind in such a short space of time
Shawn Michaels certainly has had his chances.

I thought it was a big deal when Hulk Hogan won it twice on the trot back in 1990 and 1991. I didn't think that was going to be matched but it was and bettered by 'Stone Cold' Steve Austin so who knows what will happen in the future. Personally, I can't see it being matched for a while but I think Randy Orton or even HHH could give it a shot, both having a win a piece. It's obvious to say but I think the best bet would be John Cena.

How many times has Kane entered the Royal Rumble now? He's been a Rumble regular since 1999 and he was the last one eliminated in 2001. With the chances he has had, Kane could have easily beaten Austin's record.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.