Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Old School
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a Cena/Orton thread, but no Austin/Rocky thread. There's a lot to be said about these two. They're quite possibly the two most entertaining superstars of all time, but in different ways. I used to like Austin more because he was just a straight badass, but Rocky has that swagger to him. Both are great on the mic and could cut a hell of a promo.

I, however, missed their era. I watched a little when I was young, but not much to remember. I have, however, went back and watched a lot of their work, but I'd like to see the opinions of people who saw everything or just anyone's opinion for that matter.

So, who do you prefer? Rocky or Stone Cold? Who was better on the mic and in the ring? Who had the better feuds? The better gimmick? You know what to do. Post a reply and tell me. I'd love to know especially now that they're both back with the company simultaneously even if it isn't full time.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I liked Austin but The Rock was a better talker and, Post Austin neck surgery the better wrestler, and The Rock just appealed to me more.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
if you talking about overall talent then Austin but i prefer Rock because he is entertainer able to entertain people that's what top guys on MIC unable to do...Austin only for serious face to face kind of promos

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Austin is the 2nd biggest star of all-time behind Hogan, but if i am starting a promotion, I am taking The Rock over anyone. I just think he is more versatile then Austin.

·
Banned
9,951 Posts
I like the Rock better and think he's the better talent. Austin is very good though.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
TBH I think personally Rock is my fave but overall I can't split them in terms of talent.

Both of them had bucketloads of personality, believability, charisma, both guys great workers and both guys delivered on the big stages so many times over.

Austin's intensity as a character can't be matched IMO - except by The Rock.

Austin really changed the business big time in so many ways making it edgier in 96/97/98, but on the other hand I think The Rock put more people over while remaining a megastar himself.

·
Asuka
96,572 Posts
Austin is my absolute favourite wrestler of all time, hands down. I won't put anyone in his league, he's unrivaled. Amazing worker, amazing mic worker, more charisma than anyone in history (yes, more than Rock) and unrivaled presence. Every single time that glass shattered, that meant YOUR ASS.

I am not in any way impressed with The Rock. I don't know why he's the most loved wrestler on this board, I really don't. I mean, I understand the qualities that attract people to him...I just don't get why people are so obsessive over the guy. I've had it explained to me 50 ways from Sunday, and I still don't get it. And I hear all the time "well, you only like promos, so how can you dislike THE ROCK?!", and honestly, I don't know. I know I always knock him for being juvenile, and that is a big concern, but Cena is juvenile and while I hate the gimmick, I don't mind him at all. Quite frankly, I find him to just be.....unlikeable. He just totally rubs me the wrong way, something about his presence pisses me the fuck off. He's a great mic worker, but it's unpleasant listening to him. Just not somebody I can tolerate.

Austin wins, but Austin is.....Austin. He wins against everyone. I've never had SO much fucking fun as a wrestling fan as I have when Austin/McMahon was at its peak. It was absolutely unreal.

·
Banned
2,236 Posts
Amazing worker, amazing mic worker, more charisma than anyone in history (yes, more than Rock) and unrivaled presence.
Would definitely agree about the presence of Austin. You never doubted for a second that he meant every word he said, and it certainly didn't hurt matters that he worked pretty stiff anyways!

·
Registered
496 Posts
You never doubted for a second that he meant every word he said!
Very true. Even though I was never a huge fan of him, he was believable. I think thats why him, The Rock, and The Undertaker were as successful as they were. Their characters are as close as you can get to how they are in real life. Everything just seemed natural with all three of them.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
did you know what Rock never use catchphrases on Austin? with one line from Austin "some punk kid spittin' out nursery rhymes" from Austin in 99 around WM15 and then from there Rock didn't use catchphrases on Austin again.... Austin is greater than rock but if you like comic/comedy then go for Rock

·
The Sundance Kid
18,632 Posts
They were both pretty amazing, it's hard to choose one over the other. I'd give them both A's on in-ring and mic performance, with Rock getting a slight edge on the mic and Austin a slight edge in the ring. I think they're both way better than Hogan ever was in either category, Hogan was just around first.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Watching them in their prime, they were sort'a equal. Austin probably gets a little ahead because he was the first. But in their prime, both were megastars and the top faces in the company.

So, who do you prefer?
Depends on the situation. I really like them both.

Now: The Rock. I think The Rock has more to give because he gives out great promos.

Back in their primes:
It depends on your taste. Stone Cold was more raw and a little less cheesy than The Rock. The Rock was always the better trash talker to me.

In 1999, both of them were attacking face and heels. And in 2000/early 2001, both were equal. The Rock was getting slightly stale, but only slightly. Both were great, so it depends on your style.

Who was better on the mic and in the ring?
The Rock on the mic. Stone Cold in the ring. I think Stone Cold had better and more legendary matches, but The Rock had some underrated matches too. His run with Triple H and Angle were my favorites. And the Lesnar match. The Rock can sell, lol.

Who had the better feuds?
Stone Cold had better feuds. Vince, Bret, Shawn Michaels, and Triple H were the first to my mind.

The Rock didn't have bad feuds though. Triple H was a looong ass feud, but a great one. Triple H feud with the Rock is probably one of the most underrated. They have a history. They feuded back when in their mid-card days, when they battling for the IC belt. They were almost anyways in the same line, battling for a spot.

Other than Triple H, The Rock feuded with Mick Foley, Big Show and Angle. Those were the major feuds that I remember. He did feud with Vince, Benoit, Jericho, Taker and others.

But I always felt that the Stone Cold character had better storylines because they always made it a bit personal and something that you can relate too. I cared more, and they were more epic to me. Even with Triple H, who I felt was The Rock's main antagonist, Stone Cold feud with Triple H was more epic and more personal than The Rock's feud with Triple H.

However, The Rock vs Stone Cold feud was great. They go at it a few times, which makes it more special. They never overdid it. They were the top of their era.

The better gimmick?
Both were great, and they were the top gimmicks of their era. And they are the top 3 wrestlers ever. But all gimmicks get kind'a stale depending on the situation. Like my least favorite version of both Stone Cold and The Rock were 2001 and 2002. They tweak their gimmicks a bit and it wasn't as cool back in 1998-2000.

Back then: With both at their peak, both were equal. They both were similar in results, but different ways of getting there. The Rock was the better talker, Stone Cold kicked more ass.

Now: I think I would take The Rock's gimmick than Stone Cold. The Rock makes me laugh and entertain me more. The Rock is more versatile and can impact in different ways without even throwing a punch. Stone Cold could be funny, but not like The Rock. Plus Stone Cold specialty is to be a badass and a rebel.

But it depends on what I want. Stone Cold is probably still capable of giving a great performance to the crowd. But The Rock is probably the best wrestler on the mic in history. But it's really hard to choose, and you really can't go wrong either way.

·
Childish Gambino Is #1
6,242 Posts
I think they're on the same level, and that is one of the things that made that era so unreal!
I absolutely loved it, and I was a kid at the time of it. Haha. Like I'm sure a lot of you were.

But Rock has always appealed to me more. If there was anyone who made me want to watch wrestling, or even consider being a wrestler (and trust me that could never happen) it was The Rock.
When Austin came back last year I was extremely excited!
But when Rock came back on Monday, I can't even explain the feeling I had/have. :D

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
I'm a big fan of both. But if i were to choose I'd go with Austin. the dude had it all, great on the mic, great charecter, great in the ring. Sure Rock had all those too, but i liked Austin's gimmick of a no nonsense ass kicker a bit more. When that glass broke, shit got real.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
as good Austin-Rock on mic but i found Piper better on mic which has shown in WM segment between Piper and Steve Austin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8WMz_A1k_8 ...Imagine in that segment what rock going to say? Roody poo candy ass on piper? Rock will completely own by piper when he do comic promo. rock nothing but catchphrases for instance on Monday his return 40% he use is catchphrases pretty predictable(he's funny and it was good promo but not great with large percent with his catchphrase getting over with fans). look at greatest on MIC like flair or Jake they doesn't have catchphrases trying to get over or sell merchandise or even Austin only hell yeah or STUMP a mud hole that have been use few occasion.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts