Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Who remembers this? I remember buying this PPV and being pissed. Austin didn't appear. I remember 'We want Stone Cold' chants throughout this PPV. I wonder why the WWF put him on that poster.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
If I had bought it or went to the show, I wouldn't have been pissed one bit just for the awesome main event match. Truly a classic, not to overlook the excellent LMS before it.

I can only assume that they expected Austin to be ready to return at this point but he needed another month or two off before wrestling again so they changed their decision but kept the poster for buyrates. (although that's a rip-off of fans but it's not like it's the only time they've done it)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well not pissed at the show, in fact it could've been Rocks best ever match. But I think everyone watching was expecting a Backlash-style cameo.

·
Banned
811 Posts
Yeah that was pretty random. Never knew the reason. They just put him on the cover, he was never involved in any of the build. There wasn't even a mention of any return or anything like that.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Just off the top of my head was that the Rock vs Benoit? where Benoit looked to make the Rock tap but his hand was placed under the rope or something and Foley re-started the match? or was that a different PPV?

False advertisement if he didn't appear, my memory is slightly blurred :(

·
Registered
22,784 Posts
Eh, people being on posters doesn't mean anything. I do remember being pissed at no HHH during Vengeance 2001. They had videos and everything hyping him but he wasn't medically cleared in time :(.

Christ, a time where I actually WANTED to see HHH. The hell was wrong with me? :p

·
Registered
21,618 Posts

Who remembers this? I remember buying this PPV and being pissed. Austin didn't appear. I remember 'We want Stone Cold' chants throughout this PPV. I wonder why the WWF put him on that poster.
2 reasons

1) The people who come up with the poster designs are not privy to creative meetings, so they don't actually know who's going to appear.

2) These things are made so far in advance that unless they have something specific planed that they want on there, then they just put the flavour of the month on the cover (usually somebody who suits the theme.)

The only real PPV poster that I remember having much to do with the actual show is this one...

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
Just off the top of my head was that the Rock vs Benoit? where Benoit looked to make the Rock tap but his hand was placed under the rope or something and Foley re-started the match? or was that a different PPV?
No, Shane attacked the referee with a chair then ref saw The Rock with the chair in his hand so he DQed him and per stipulation, he would lose the title if he got DQed. Foley then came out and restarted it. (that asshole! :p)

He did it again at Unforgiven which is the PPV you're thinking of. Benoit pinned Undertaker while Taker had his foot on the rope and ref missed it so he was champion for a second only for the match restart.

·
Banned
4,704 Posts
Eh, people being on posters doesn't mean anything. I do remember being pissed at no HHH during Vengeance 2001. They had videos and everything hyping him but he wasn't medically cleared in time :(.

Christ, a time where I actually WANTED to see HHH. The hell was wrong with me? :p
Yeah, they were a lot of these posters. Other that come to my mind was Kane on the Judgment Day 2007 poster or Rey Mysterio for GAB 2007

tbh I was more pissed at Austin not appearing at Survivor Series 1999 than at Fully Loaded

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Forgot all about this PPV. I never really cared about Benoit, but he was a damn great heel in 2000 / 2001. Loved the feud with The Rock, and the feud that followed with Triple H. Especially when Benoit headbutted Stephanie and smiled.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Forgot all about this PPV. I never really cared about Benoit, but he was a damn great heel in 2000 / 2001. Loved the feud with The Rock, and the feud that followed with Triple H. Especially when Benoit headbutted Stephanie and smiled.
Rumors Austin was gonna return at this PPV but they decided he'll return premanently Unforgiven. Heel Benoit was awesome even he should've got WWF title reign bak then, Benoit-HHH No Mercy 00 was classic, shame Rikishi didn't ran over Austin by himself, that's why his heel turn failed cause HHH was mastermind all along

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Who cares? Have you seen the show? It may have been better because no Austin.

But honestly, I feel your pain. I remember after I first got back into wrestling in 2005, I was really wanting to see Cena. He was feuding with JBL at that point and was red hot...the night before he got drafted to RAW...FML. Also my first show ever was a house show and they ran a local promo and the Rock was on it going "finally the rock has come back to kansas city"...and he didnt even appear...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Just like Triple H on the Vengeance 2001 poster.

·
Parks and Recreation Dept.
7,420 Posts
Yeah, that was a bullshit move. They had to know Austin wasn't gonna be there, and in all likelihood they only did it because that PPV was in Texas. Would've been easy to remove his head and replace it with HHH or Benoit.

·
Banned
18,555 Posts
Sometimes, they do have things planned for wrestlers which is why they're featured on the poster, but obviously when plans change, it makes the poster look meaningless and awkward.

- Vic

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
The cover was as false as the " Triple Main-Event " announce but it was still a awesome event. The Last Man Standing and WWF title match were awesome and What A Splash by Rikishi

·
Registered
14,593 Posts
Even without Stone Cold this was a darn good pay per view. There are even those who consider it the best-non big 4 pay per view in WWE history.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts