Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the exact dates the Stone Cold and Bret Hart feud started and ended? I hear it was a fantastic feud and I'd love to watch it from the beginning to the end.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Can't tell you exactly when it began but Bret was still injured and Austin was taking shots at him in interviews which woudl later set both men for a match at Survivor Series 1996. The feud never ended though, the original plan was for Austin to face Hart at WM 14 and Austin would beat him for the WWF Title ending thus ending the fued but Monstreal Screwjob got in the way so the feud was left incomplete which is a shame since it was a great feud and it propelled Austin to the Main Event scene.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Can't tell you exactly when it began but Bret was still injured and Austin was taking shots at him in interviews which woudl later set both men for a match at Survivor Series 1996. The feud never ended though, the original plan was for Austin to face Hart at WM 14 and Austin would beat him for the WWF Title ending thus ending the fued but Monstreal Screwjob got in the way so the feud was left incomplete which is a shame since it was a great feud and it propelled Austin to the Main Event scene.
Austin/Hart at WM 14 would rule on so many levels. I've always envisioned that Austin would find himself getting trapped in the Sharpshooter again with blood pouring down his face but only this time he would escape.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
they first started having matches in like September 96 while bret was off tv and only worked tours. Officialy it was the build to the 96 survivor series in which they began feuding on tv. The Austin/Bret saga ran basicly to July of 97 and ended with the FLag match on RAW

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'd go with this, pretty much explains it. Would have been good to have seen that though Austin/Hart WM14.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The Austin/Bret saga ran basicly to July of 97 and ended with the FLag match on RAW
I don't know about that. I'd always thought of it as being put on the backburner once Austin started going after Owen. But I don't think it ever ended.

·
Lose for Hughes!
3,802 Posts
I remember around Fall of '96, SCSA began cutting promos calling Bret out... which eventually lead up to their very, very good match @ Survivor Series '96.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would say it began shortly after the 96 King of the Ring, when Austin began taunting Bret with Brian Pillman. It kind of ended after In Your House : Canadian Stampede when Austin began feuding with Owen Hart.. although he still had altercations with Bret. Awesome feud which pretty much made Austin

·
Banned
9,124 Posts
I agree with the prelude to Survivor Series 96.

And both of their interviews seconds before that match were priceless.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
The original plan for WrestleMania 14 was always Stone Cold Steve Austin and Shawn Michaels which is why Shawn Michaels was turned heel at SummerSlam 1997 as they already knew then that Bret Hart would most likely be leaving because he was unhappy with the way the company was going which was a direction that was perfect for Stone Cold Steve Austin and Shawn Michaels back then. The plan was to have Stone Cold Steve Austin as the top face and Shawn Michaels as the top heel to usher in the new era and for them to be the leader's of that generation but because Shawn Michaels was injured at The Royal Rumble they had to go with a slow build for The Rock to take the top heel spot.

Back on topic though the feud between Bret Hart and Stone Cold Steve Austin began going into Survivor Series and was Bret Hart's idea as he was told he could pick whoever he wanted for his return feud outside of Shawn Michaels because the plan was for Michaels/Hart 2 at WrestleMania 13 as the main event. Because Stone Cold Steve Austin had won The King of the Ring tournament and done nothing else of note since Bret Hart told Vince McMahon that he thought that the feud would be a great way of pushing Stone Cold Steve Austin as a top heel whilst also giving himself as good return feud.

It ended one on one between them after In Your House: A Cold Day In Hell when Stone Cold Steve Austin faced The Undertaker for the WWF title with The Hart Foundation at ringside as going into King of the Ring in 1997 when Shawn Michaels had returned and they were having Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart feud and the original plan then was to have Michaels/Hart 2 at King of the Ring and begin a feud between Stone Cold Steve Austin and Owen Hart but because of a real backstage fight between Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart both men refused to work the match at King of the Ring and Vince McMahon booked Michaels/Austin instead.

They then had the 8 man tag team match at Canadian Stampede which is where the feud between Stone Cold Steve Austin and Owen Hart more or less began and they feuded properly going into SummerSlam and we also saw Bret Hart named the number one contender for The Undertaker's WWF title at SummerSlam as well with Shawn Michaels as the special referee and which is where Shawn Michaels was turned heel after hitting The Undertaker albeit accidentally with a chair thus giving Bret Hart the win and the WWF title.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts