Wrestling Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,189 Posts
I actually was a big fan of Blackman, you could tell this dude was a legit bad ass, something about his demeanor or something. It's funny, he had that charisma vacuum gimmick before Lance Storm did, but the guy was solid in his role of serious matches (like against Shamrock) or hardcore stuff. His stuff in Headcheese was hilarious though too, it's shame the team didn't last longer. Not every guy on the roster is going to be a main eventer, but that doesn't mean that they suck either. Blackman filled a niche role but he did it pretty well.

·
Registered
17,487 Posts
Didn't Blackman debut as a fan and attacked Vader?
Nah he came in to help Vader during Team USA vs Team Canada. His inring debut (proper one anyways) was him joining Vader, Mero & Goldust at Survivor Series 97 against Bulldog, Neidhart, Furnas & LaFon (always found it funny only 1 of Team Canada was actually canadian).

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I thought you were gonna talk about his WWE appearances in the 80s.
About 1998, my Mum used to pick me up anything wrestling she found. One day, from a boot sale, she brought me home old wrestling magazines. Imagine my surprise, as a 10 year old, at seeing a long haired Steve Blackman in a WWF sticker book from about 1991. (He wasn't featured, just rather a worker getting a move performed on him in a sticker or a background picture). I always found that interesting and wanted to learn more, but never really pursued it past a quick google search a few years ago, and you're one of the first people I've ever read mention it.

For me, Steve Blackman was just bland. He had a great moveset, that connected even better with creative use of weapons as hardcore matches, but his inability to outwardly convey charisma, his ability to cut a promo and his overall look, (the black tights with crewcut, beard and white wrist tape was so dull) meant he would never go further than he was. He did reach some great heights though, all things considered, and for 2 years or so he was a decent part of WWE.

I can remember he threw a beautiful roundhouse kick at Kurrgan half way through the Royal Rumble in 1998 and he had a fan for life in me. I literally watched that 200 times at least.

Who knows what would have happened if he hadn't been injured during the Brawl for All?

·
Registered
17,487 Posts
About 1998, my Mum used to pick me up anything wrestling she found. One day, from a boot sale, she brought me home old wrestling magazines. Imagine my surprise, as a 10 year old, at seeing a long haired Steve Blackman in a WWF sticker book from about 1991. (He wasn't featured, just rather a worker getting a move performed on him in a sticker or a background picture). I always found that interesting and wanted to learn more, but never really pursued it past a quick google search a few years ago, and you're one of the first people I've ever read mention it.

For me, Steve Blackman was just bland. He had a great moveset, that connected even better with creative use of weapons as hardcore matches, but his inability to outwardly convey charisma, his ability to cut a promo and his overall look, (the black tights with crewcut, beard and white wrist tape was so dull) meant he would never go further than he was. He did reach some great heights though, all things considered, and for 2 years or so he was a decent part of WWE.

I can remember he threw a beautiful roundhouse kick at Kurrgan half way through the Royal Rumble in 1998 and he had a fan for life in me. I literally watched that 200 times at least.

Who knows what would have happened if he hadn't been injured during the Brawl for All?
Yeah he was set to debut fully with Owen Hart, but he caught malaria on a tour of Africa.

·
Registered
822 Posts
His best work was when he held the Hardcore Championship & not far behind as Head Cheese, Snow Balls & whatever else they were called.

·
Registered
892 Posts
No. Nobody could care enough about Blackman because he had the charisma of a napkin (I just said this in the Shamrock thread and it's worse for Blackman). Even to the point that the WWF made it an in joke with his Al Snow head cheese gimmick.

·
Registered
807 Posts
One way OR ANOTHER?! I enjoyed him in his time. He was another of the great variety of different styles/personalities of that era. Even if you asked "Did he have a personality" you could BET YOUR ASS he didn't really.

I don't think I've ever seen someone fuck up this bad. How the hell do you mess up looking at the camera lol he even points the finger at the interviewer :lmao This is the greatest promo one way... OR ANOTHER!

·
When you don't have a match on the show
3,745 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen someone fuck up this bad. How the hell do you mess up looking at the camera lol he even points the finger at the interviewer :lmao This is the greatest promo one way... OR ANOTHER!
I remember this promo fondly because of my Dad's reaction to it at the time

"What the bloody hell was that?" :Rollins

41 - 53 of 53 Posts