Wrestling Forum banner

Steve Austin On Scripted Promos, This Generation�s Wrestlers And Finn B�lor

4146 Views 50 Replies 31 Participants Last post by  CEEJ
Steve Austin On Scripted Promos, This Generation’s Wrestlers And Finn Bálor

Source: http://411mania.com/wrestling/steve-austin-worried-finn-balor-will-get-lost-in-the-shuffle/

Steve Austin was recently on the Taz Show: Bodyslams & Beyond, here are the highlights…

On Scripted Promos: “It’s a different PC world that those guys are operating in, so I feel for those guys. And I love WWE, I’m still part of the company, but it’s just tough these days on these kids,” Austin said. “I don’t like to be the bitter veteran that complains about the system, but, I don’t believe that promos should be ‘scripted’. A couple of bullet points, yes, to point a cat in the right direction, but you’ve got to be out there and be able to feel at home and believe with conviction and your heart and your soul with everything that you’re saying and if you’re just trying to be an orator or someone who delivers a speech, that’s not effective in my opinion. And to me, to draw money, you’ve got to be able to reach people’s heartstrings and reach some kind of guttural response or just anything that resonates with them.”

On This Generation’s Wrestlers: “These guys are a step above our generation and the generations before us, athletically. What they can do in the ring is amazing and they’re great athletes, but I can give you [Ric] Flair/[Barry] Windham from ’87 or ’86 and those guys are working at today’s pace, but they’re selling everything, they’re not telegraphing anything, they’re not foreshadowing the next sequence of moves. It’s about 50-50 or 70-30 called in the ring and so it feels spontaneous and it feels different. It feels like a shoot. So there’s a real fine line between taking all that athleticism and you’re going to set up a little bit of stuff, but when it looks like you’re just going through the motions, you’re just going through the motions and people can see that. And you’ve got to be able to feel and really get behind a character and a personality and the human that’s doing that. I mean, that’s the money level.”

On Finn Bálor: “I’m wondering if he’s going to get lost in the shuffle a little bit [on the main roster]. He does that crawl to the ring and sometimes it takes so long. It’s a little disconcerting because I’ve seen the kid. Good looking kid, worked for many years in Japan, and he’s very technical from Ireland or wherever he’s from. Great kid! Great kid! Hell of a worker. Ten times the worker I ever was, but he [has] got to connect with those people. And so hopefully that gimmick allows him to do that. And it’s a great look. You can make a lot of action figures off of it, but put all the pieces together. People [have] got to care about him to become emotionally invested in him, but a great human being and a hellacious worker.”
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,691 Posts
Re: Steve Austin On Scripted Promos, This Generation’s Wrestlers And Finn Bálor

Austin is on point with everything yet again. The talent is at an all time high with this roster. They're just being handcuffed by poor booking and they're more focused on doing MOVEZ than telling stories in the ring. I'm glad he has the balls to point out how bland Balor has been since winning the title. He, just like Roman, will never reach his full potential as a cookie cutter baby face. They have to give him an edge. He's gonna sell hella T-Shirts because he looks great and he's got a cool super hero thing going, but there won't be much substance under that.

· Banned
4,621 Posts

· Registered
437 Posts

Is incredible how Steve Austin always says everything that i can think, especially about Finn Balor.

· Registered
4,563 Posts

I actually saw Finn Balor for the first time at a house show I don't watch NXT, not by choice just don't have the time. But he really didn't do it for me I assume his in ring ability was why he gotten over but he didn't really show much there either. Good entrance music though.

· Registered
8,568 Posts

The roster lacks charisma more than anything. I agree that wrestler's need bullet points. Scripted promos to a tee never work, especially if somebody doesn't have a character, which itself is a problem. Even if you don't script somebody's promo, I don't think most of the roster can cut an effective promo. Right now the WWE has no effective promo cutters. I say the roster just goes through with the emotions, but nobody is really into their character other than Bray Wyatt. Now when he's on TV, you can tell that he is really into that character and when you walk out there, he is Bray Wyatt.

Reactions: Mr. WrestleMania

· ===Valar Morghulis===
7,476 Posts

Nice gem ya shared, 'preciate it brah.

Austin is right on the money but it's ironic because it's just a ear to the ground basic observation. Take away the overt cynicism & company loyalists, view the product in Neutral & this is indisputable. Don't send a guy out there wearing a leash & manacled to a script that's got to be adhered to 95% for fear of getting reprimanded.

As a performer, you have to actually go out there and guage your audience and then reel them in. If the bullet point is killing the energy, scrap it & hit them where they've been all show. Then you can go back and hit the rest but once you lose them, you might as well skip your ass to the back.

:eek:ut

· Registered
921 Posts

Finn is 10x the worker that Steve ever was? Steve, no need to pander, we all know you would wipe the mat with him.

I'm glad he addressed the fact that yes, today's guys are better athletes, but it's for nothing when the matches lack intensity, realism, or selling, and instead you are left with a heatless choreographed spotfest.

· Premium Member
61,220 Posts

The in-ring aspect of this generation is very good. They're handcuffed working the WWE style; but it is what it is. I read practically everyday on here how this is the best era for matches. Either this is a great era for matches, or it isn't. Can't have it both ways.

The only problem is the severe lack of charisma of todays guys and the lack of mic skills. Maybe if they didn't have to memorize a script, they would be much better. But we'll never know.

· ★ Liverpool FC ★
2,787 Posts

On Scripted Promos: “ I don’t believe that promos should be ‘scripted’. A couple of bullet points, yes, to point a cat in the right direction, but you’ve got to be out there and be able to feel at home and believe with conviction and your heart and your soul with everything that you’re saying and if you’re just trying to be an orator or someone who delivers a speech, that’s not effective in my opinion. ”

On This Generation’s Wrestlers: “These guys are a step above our generation and the generations before us, athletically."
Spot-fucking-on.

· Banned
14,756 Posts

Guys like Bray Wyatt or before he left, CM Punk, John Cena, pretty much cut their own promos. Ambrose outright said he tears up scripts and doesn't read them. Freedom is there if you want it, but you're expected to be good enough and make it work for you if you get it. They could give Reigns or Dolph Ziggler all the freedom in the world on the mic, and the end result would still be them getting no heat because they're fucking terrible mic workers. The scripted nature is only in place because they don't trust anybody on the roster to get over on the mic, since they're all pretty goddamn terrible on it.

· #TeamCardcaptor and Oh... Still Music >>>> Wrestli
6,433 Posts

I like Finn Balor and it's going to be difficult for him in the main roster and being lost in the shuffle. My only issue with Finn is his finisher (the top rope stomach stomp) isn't a good or convincing finisher but anywho.

Austin seems in point, here and there.

Reactions: gsm1988

· Super Moderator Going Backwards With WF
36,342 Posts

The trouble with a lot of WWE matches is they become the same, predictable, spot heavy match that we see most weeks because they have to do certain moves and what not to 'connect with the crowd'.

The storytelling gets lost in most cases and they become bland. Don't get me wrong, I love a good spotfest (I love PWG lol), but in WWE we have seen their spots so many times every week, we know when they are coming and we can't enjoy the matches as we can pretty much predict move for move what is happening.

It's not good when the fans know what they are going to see before the bell has rang. Of course there are exceptions and WWE are very capable of putting on great matches because they do have great workers, and we see good matches most weeks, but it's how the match is booked is what strangles them in some cases as we know when and where certain spots will occur, and we know most of the wrestlers are capable of so much more.

IMHO.

· Bow Down to The Queens
🕷️ MAFIA BELLA 👸🏼
44,691 Posts

The trouble with a lot of WWE matches is they become the same, predictable, spot heavy match that we see most weeks because they have to do certain moves and what not to 'connect with the crowd'.

The storytelling gets lost in most cases and they become bland. Don't get me wrong, I love a good spotfest (I love PWG lol), but in WWE we have seen their spots so many times every week, we know when they are coming and we can't enjoy the matches as we can pretty much predict move for move what is happening.

It's not good when the fans know what they are going to see before the bell has rang. Of course there are exceptions and WWE are very capable of putting on great matches because they do have great workers, and we see good matches most weeks, but it's how the match is booked is what strangles them in some cases as we know when and where certain spots will occur, and we know most of the wrestlers are capable of so much more.

IMHO.

Exactly, and that's what people don't get. No one's calling them bad workers, they're just going through the motions. There's no emotion, no passion, just autopiloting through moves in sequential order. Even though they overdid Sasha vs. Paige, at least they brought a different vibe to all 5 of their singles matches. With most of the guys, if you've seen one match between two people, you've seen them all.

· Premium Member
61,220 Posts

IMHO.
Yep. Thank the WWE Style of working for the boringness. Just like every other aspect of their product; boring and predictable. And I do agree, there are good matches, but they're just predictable; again the WWE Style, which these guys get drilled into their heads when they are getting developed by WWE before they hit TV.

· Registered
8,568 Posts

☆Shala's Christmas Waifu Party☆;54780882 said:
Why can't Austin book these shows :hogan

Just because someone can point out flaws, doesn't mean that they can book. I much rather have Austin book too, but that doesn't mean he has the answer to WWE's problems.

· Registered
4,864 Posts

So spot on with Balor.

:austin4

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.