Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Source:
https://www.podcastone.com/episode/Wade-Keller-WWE-Backlash-2018

WWE Hall of Famer Steve Austin has provided some advice to some of the biggest stars in the WWE right now through the power of his podcast. Here is what he had to say:

Seth Rollins:

“Sometimes he relies on high spot type sequences for his comeback. Sometimes I want to see him use a few more right hands or a little bit just straight up offense rather than high spots. I’m not telling him to be A.J. [Styles]; but, sometimes as that baby face, you’ve got to use good old fashioned knuckles or feet or just strikes, stomps, whatever it takes. If you can keep working his way around it, more power to him; but, sometimes when you are using those high spots as comebacks, it’s like I really want to see Miz have his ass handed to him a little bit more.”

Braun Strowman:

“He can work. I’ve been a fan for a couple of years now; but, you’ve got to be careful with what you do with Braun Strowman….dude, you’re Alpha. If you don’t get out there and work and act like Alpha every time you get into the ring, you play Beta or second to anybody, you’re going to start losing your mystique or power. I think Braun’s gotta be careful about that and I don’t want to see Braun Strowman do anything funny….with respect to booking Braun, they’re calling him Monster Among Men, Come Get These Hands and all this other stuff. He’s a little like Stone Cold and a lot like Braun Strowman. I don’t need to see a 6’8″ 330 pound guy make me laugh, make me smile, bring any warmth to my body – I want to see him go out there and destroy and crush people because he’s capable of doing it and because his desire for the gold belt is so great that’s what drives him…he’s been a competitor his whole life…Braun Strowman, as well as he’s done over the last few years still has a ways to go and he’s not bullet proof. If you start puffing that kid up, you’re gonna diminish him.”

Shinsuke Nakamura:

“I wouldn’t do a whole lot with Shinsuke; but, I’d knock off the comedy because I don’t think he needs that to be entertaining. If Renee [Young] asks him a question, if he just sits there and looks at the camera, because he’s not gonna answer the camera – to me after a period of silence, you just fade out and go to the next match. Then you let Michael Cole and those guys pick it up and, ‘Hey man I think this guy is going to talk when he wants to and not talk when he doesn’t want to.’ That way you can get off of him, leave something to talk about, still be entertaining and not put him in a comedic light because as The King of Strong Style, that’s a statement.”

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
re: Steve Austin Offers Advice to Rollins, Braun & Nskamura

Austin advising Seth to punch and kick more. :sodone
That was Austin in a nutshell, punch, kick, and finishing move. (When people talk about limited moveset, which I don't even care about, but show some fans hypocrisy in this area)

I don't think he should tell Rollins to be more fighter when he has a more wider moveset that he could use to his advantage.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts

Austin was an excellent wrestler prior to his unfortunate neck injury at Summerslam 1997

·
#1 Somamaniac
13,601 Posts

Austin was an excellent wrestler prior to his unfortunate neck injury at Summerslam 1997
He was also an excellent wrestler afterwards as well. What's your point?

Also yeah, Seth's striking is pretty awful so I rather that he don't do more of it.

·
The Empire will Reign again
16,443 Posts

Yea I don't want to see Seth kick and punch more, they're easily the worst part of his game. I do agree he could use more traditional grapple offense like ddts, suplexes, backbreakers, etc. Seth shouldn't be throwing his high spot sequences in EVERY match, I can't remember the last time he didn't do the back-to-back suicide dives and Superplex/Falcon Arrow in a tv match.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts

Austin is truly a genius

·
Banned
4,945 Posts

Agree on all points. I don't like Braun being a goof, I think they've made Shinsuke too funny, and Seth has a tendency to get into FLIPZ & MOVEZ to the point that it looks like an acrobatic routine and stops looking like he's in a fight.

IMO, Seth is at his best against bigger guys where there's some of that he just can't do and where the bigger guy shuts him down when it looks like he's going to get something ginning. He comes off more like a valiant babyface, I don't dig his matches with Finn because too often they're like two gymnasts instead of fighters.

·
Aggressively White
6,236 Posts

That was Austin in a nutshell, punch, kick, and finishing move. (When people talk about limited moveset, which I don't even care about, but show some fans hypocrisy in this area)

I don't think he should tell Rollins to be more fighter when he has a more wider moveset that he could use to his advantage.
But but Thesz Press

·
Registered
5,969 Posts

Austin basically described Seth's move set when he was a heel. There were a lot of rest holds and a lot of kicking/punching in his heel run. He's a babyface now and people just expect his move set to be more exciting and explosive.

·
THE MAN has come around to collect her debts.
6,699 Posts

Agreed. Rollin does his high spot moves a little too often. We don't need to see them 100% of the time in every match. As I have said before, making Strowman "funny" is a terrible way to go. Keep him as a terrifying monster. I think Nakamura is fine the way he is right now though.

·
Greek God of Knowledge
7,063 Posts

"Braun can work."

Eh. Kind of hard to take him serious after that..
Why? Braun can definitely work. Don't know what you find so ridiculous about that statement.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Rollins should do more power moves like suplexes and powerbombs. I could't care less about his striking Roman more than makes up for everyone on the roster with that. He has proved in the past he can manhandle much bigger guys so I don't see why he only does them the odd time. I get the bucklebomb doesn't get used since it injured Finn and Sting but a different type of powerbomb would be cool. That move he did on the Miz at Backlash where he rolled through and did that spinning sideslam should become a regular move.

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
As if any of those 3 could simply decide to follow Austins´ "advice".
I thought the same thing and knowing today's version of WWE they will make sure NOT to follow Austin's suggestion which implies they are coaching their athletes wrong.

Completely ignoring Austin is one of the greatest to ever do this at the expense of showing they know more than everyone else.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts