Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
Re: Steve Austin (Heel 2001 or Heel 1996-'97?)

Heel 2001 was hilarious, but 96/97 was just badass on an untouchable level.

·
Banned
2,743 Posts
96\97 was just a rebel and was so much of a heel he turned face. It was the more successful character for him and he had the best feud of his career with Bret Hart during that time. 2001 had more depth and a comedy aspect to his personality that just blew me away. He was not only a bully but he was a coward at the same time and added plenty of hilarious segements. A lot of people didn't like the 01 Austin or his heel run in general but I loved it and it was my favorite Austin personality of all time.

·
You're better than that Cole.
3,990 Posts
I was wondering when someone will do this kind of thread. Both Heel runs of Austin was magnificent in their own way but as much I love the psychotic cowardly and mental Austin in 2001, I will have to give the slight edge towards his past persona in 96-97 of just being this reckless redneck badass that would stop at nothing to get what he want.

I still to this day love some of the Vignettes from Steve Austin on Bret Hart

·
Asuka
96,224 Posts
Early heel Austin, no question. It was what laid the foundation for him having the most profitable babyface run in wrestling history. 2001 Austin sucked. I don't mean HE sucked, of course not. Austin was a heel in 2001 of Eddie Guerrero levels, he was so flawless as the psychopath that he made me feel like he was so good that it was actually happening. So many guys are phony and lame when they go out and try to be psychos. Edge is the perfect example. Just totally unbelievable and has no business trying it. He also had some of the best matches of his career then. The problem arose out of the fact that nobody wanted to boo him. I certainly didn't. I didn't want THAT Austin. I wanted the face Stone Cold that was the most entertaining character of all time. It wasn't time to turn him heel, nobody was calling for it like they are with John Cena right now. He was doing fine, it shouldn't have happened. To this day it's hard for me to sit down and watch 2001 Austin segments because I have no interest in seeing him try to be a heel after the run that he had before.

Austin has even said that that heel run was a mistake.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I was wondering when someone will do this kind of thread. Both Heel runs of Austin was magnificent in their own way but as much I love the psychotic cowardly and mental Austin in 2001, I will have to get the slight edge towards his past persona in 96-97 of just being this reckless redneck badass that would stop at nothing to get what he want.

I still to this day love some of the Vignettes from Steve Austin on Bret Hart

Yes, these are amazing..."I don't dance son"

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Early heel Austin, no question. It was what laid the foundation for him having the most profitable babyface run in wrestling history. 2001 Austin sucked. I don't mean HE sucked, of course not. Austin was a heel in 2001 of Eddie Guerrero levels, he was so flawless as the psychopath that he made me feel like he was so good that it was actually happening. So many guys are phony and lame when they go out and try to be psychos. Edge is the perfect example. Just totally unbelievable and has no business trying it. He also had some of the best matches of his career then. The problem arose out of the fact that nobody wanted to boo him. I certainly didn't. I didn't want THAT Austin. I wanted the face Stone Cold that was the most entertaining character of all time. It wasn't time to turn him heel, nobody was calling for it like they are with John Cena right now. He was doing fine, it shouldn't have happened. To this day it's hard for me to sit down and watch 2001 Austin segments because I have no interest in seeing him try to be a heel after the run that he had before.

I'd have to agree with all of that, especially the Edge part. I've always been a big, big fan of the guy but when he tried to act psychotic it was cringe-worthy, he completed over-acted every single time. People go on about his promo with Foley as one of the best ever but i actually thought it was barely watchable, he over-does it so much that it's blatant that he's trying to let the audience know he's gone crazy

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
1996-1997 easily man he made them lackluster Raws awesome when he would come on trash talking Bret Hart. I remember when he went on WWF Livewire in 96 and people called in complaining about his behavior on WWF programming.

·
Banned
10,758 Posts

this

·
Banned
10,758 Posts
1996-1997 easily man he made them lackluster Raws awesome when he would come on trash talking Bret Hart. I remember when he went on WWF Livewire in 96 and people called in complaining about his behavior on WWF programming.

this is what i remember
people would leave arenas and the announcer would annouce Stone Cold is coming up next.The place would just erupt

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Heel 96-97 Austin was more of a badass than 2001 heel Austin, 2001 heel Austin was not even good at all, he was more of a cowardly heel but in 1996-97 his heel persona was just pure badass and did not back down from anybody

1 - 20 of 30 Posts