Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
A stanning today 💋
9,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/black-worker-awarded-25m-racial-lawsuit-154512953.html

A black steelworker has been awarded USD 25 million in damages after a federal jury ruled his former company didn't do enough to stop years of racial slurs and taunting by his co-workers.

According to the Buffalo News, Elijah Turley testified during the trial that colleagues at the Buffalo-area plant called him "boy" and left a stuffed monkey with a noose around its neck on his car's driver's side mirror. He also recalled seeing "KKK" and "King Kong" scrawled on the factory's walls.

[Related: Ga. denies KKK application to adopt highway]

"It's absolutely shocking that a case like this is in court in 2012," Ryan J. Mills, Turley's lawyer, said in closing arguments. "It should be viewed as atrocious and intolerable in a civilized society."

Lawyers for ArcelorMittal countered that company officials suspended Turley's co-workers and took other steps to stop the harassment. The newspaper reported they also suggested that a lot of what Turley endured was "trash-talking" that's common on factory floors.

[Related: Madonna sparks outrage with swastika stunt]

But the jury unanimously decided that the company and some of its executives were liable.

"This case is about the breakdown of a man," Mills told the jury. "He wanted to be treated equally, treated equally in a culture that hadn't changed since the '50s."

It is not known if the company will appeal the ruling, the Buffalo News reported.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
This is a fucking TRAVESTY. How the fuck do people stand for bullshit like this? 25 MILLION dollars for some racial slurs? What the hell? Were the jurors high? Or just that stupid?

Just force the company to fire the racists and award the victim a small ammount of money (no where near the millions). People need to stop sucking up and feeling sorry for peices of shit who reap this ammount of money from the system. Fuck this. fpalm

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
I worked in a steel mill during the summers of college, like 70 hrs a week. The fact that someone says they are stunned by racism in 2012 in a steel mill is a joke. I am white and I felt racist tension(not from all steel workers but a group of them) just because my Grandpa and especially I attempted to be good friends with everyone because my family taught me to be blind to discrimination. I extensively talked Cowboys football with my buddy Mike and he was one the hardest workers in that mill!

In defense of steelworkers though, not all of them are this way. But any mill in America has a group of these guys still rampant. I got by treating everyone as equals and not letting them get to me. But whether it was a black/white thing or some other racial tension I could always feel it from a group of the workers there. Teach your kids better people! We are all the same.

The fact that anyone in this country can downplay racism is sickening to me! It is still rampant and alive even with our first black president.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,215 Posts
The jury did it to punish the company and to send a message. The idea is that this huge amount of money let's all employers know that we aren't going to tolerate this stuff anymore. I doubt it will stand up to appeals though. Some federal court is going to end up lowering that award.

·
Plotting time travel mission.
8,641 Posts
That's a lot of money. I guess the guy can quit his job, if he doesn't go crazy with the money. I am sure lots of people in the USA experience racism at their job at some point.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
reminds me of the guy from soulplane where he got 100 million for getting his ass stuck in the toilet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts