Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the point of a steel cage match when you can just leave it via a door?

There was a time when steel cage matches never had that option or leaving through a door.

The door makes everything anti-climactic and even makes the wrestlers trying to climb it up look dumb. Why seriously even bother climbing the cage when it's so much simpler and easier to just exit the door?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
The whole match was dumb, hardys had one guy out side the cage on the floor, the other hardy trying to stop shamus for going out the door, common sense would be to let shamus out the door and you follow him out and win the match

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The whole match was dumb, hardys had one guy out side the cage on the floor, the other hardy trying to stop shamus for going out the door, common sense would be to let shamus out the door and you follow him out and win the match
EXACTLY

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
The concept of steel cage matches has run its course as valuable gimmick match.

Today matches are work in such a quick pace that is almost impossible to sell the "slow escaping from the cage" spot.

It's just looks like a videogame is glitching everytime someone tries to escape the cage.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The concept of steel cage matches has run its course as valuable gimmick match.

Today matches are work in such a quick pace that is almost impossible to sell the "slow escaping from the cage" spot.

It's just looks like a videogame is glitching everytime someone tries to escape the cage.
And with that quicker pace, what's even worse than selling the "slow escaping from the cage" spot, is trying to sell the "slow escaping from the DOOR" spot.

·
Team Narcisse
7,939 Posts
I think they just want those spots like they did tonight where one is at the door and the other is climbing the cage, but the timing is rarely right. I felt like Cesaro and Sheamus could have drank a cup of coffee while waiting on the Hardys so it would look close. There's also the manager door slam spots which is the only reason I'd advocate to keep it, but at the end of the day, walking out the door just feels like too easy of a way to win. Climbing the cage presents more of a challenge. Kill the door.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I watched Bret vs Owen from Summerslam '95 this week and the psychology and pacing was vastly superior to today's match.

They did about 15-20 hope escape spots.

It only took one head smash into the cage wall to bring your opponent down, and then the struggle felt real because they sold the pain from the steel cage.

Bret could barely sit up.

Cesaro hits his head into a steel pole 5 times and then 2 seconds later he's jumping up and punching his opponent like nothing happened. Everyone calls him a great worker.

Slow it down! Let us feel every blow. With 4 men inside the cage, there was plenty of time for a slower-paced sell while alternating between each pair so it doesn't feel slow.

Near the end of the match they were still running around the ring showing no signs of pain.

They sell for a second, then they spring back up. The door is great if you believe they're in too much pain to simply get up and walk out.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
The door is predictably used as a weapon in cage matches, one wrestler gets it slammed on their head or their hand/wrist. Problem is, people are still trying to pull of NWA Ric Flair gimmicks but we've seen them all before and today's wrestlers aren't delivering like The Nature Boy.

To me, looking back in my memories, It seemed as if it used a bit less often it. Don't remember cages often on broadcast TV. Perhaps Saturday Night's Main Event had one. Much like the fatal fourway match. Goodness we're getting a lot of those lately. blahhh. If it wasn't the PC era, I'd say lets get a last man standing, fatal fourway, in a steal cage. But in today's climate of no blood, it'd be a trip to yawn city.

·
You spent too much time looking at my avatar and s
7,825 Posts
The steel cage matches are hilariously awful..

Old cage - Legit steel and unforgiving bars.

New cage - Someones flimsy backyard fence and I'm supposed to believe someones hurt when they're thrown into it and it rattles and they bounce off like they just ran into a trampoline.

·
It me.
13,505 Posts
Always hated the door. When did they start allowing you to escape through it?

·
Banned
6,218 Posts
The whole match made no sense, from a common sense perspective in kayfaybe terms why didn't one team just purposely wait for one member of the other team to exit the cage, beat down the remaining member and win easily.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The whole match made no sense, from a common sense perspective in kayfaybe terms why didn't one team just purposely wait for one member of the other team to exit the cage, beat down the remaining member and win easily.
But what happen if both team think the same?

I think thats the point of steel cage tag team match. They must think a way to exit together to prevent what you said. Unless your team have one big giant who can deal with 2 people (kayfabewise), like if team Hell No vs the hardyz and Daniel Bryan left Kane alone to double chokeslam The Hardyz. But yeah, the problem is the execution of match always seems to be "everybody for himself".

And I agree with OP, door in steel cage is stupid. Thats always bother me when watching steel cage match.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Steel cage is actually my favourite gimmick match. Having the door and being able to climb out gives suspense......also having a door is needed for medical emergency reasons.

·
You need to be yourself, you can't be no-one else.
7,174 Posts
Ive said it before that cage matches are redundant.

Its hell in a cell minus the roof, bring back the bars, drop the pin / submit rules, lock the door, make the match worth while again.

if youve got cage matches you dont need hell in a cell and vise versa, you cant say hell in a cell is more dangerous wwe, its the same damn thing since it went to a mesh design and people could start pinning each other.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts