Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so we all know that Wrestlemania is the biggest Wrestling event you'll ever see and it just is "the Superbowl of the WWE" as other's call it. But we all know it didn't start out like that and it wasn't until maybe Wrestlemania 6 when the two biggest icons of that time, Warrior and Hogan went at it and the crowd were chanting both men. Up until that point Wrestlemania was probably as big (Actual event, match card and entertainment wise) as any other PPV.

And back then in that era there was also the Starrcade PPV, which later turned out ot be "THE" PPV for WCW until it went out of business. We all know it is dead now and it isn't coming back but I was watching Wrestlemania 1 & 2 while after watchign Starrcade 1 & 2 and Starrcade is simply better, better wrestling, better feuds heading into it. At least I think so.

And I just wanted to know, looking back, when both of these PPV's were fresh and weren't Iconic like they are today was Starrcade better then Wrestlemania, the supposed mother of all PPV's to do with Wrestling? Cause I sure think so.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
No, sorry. If there is one thing that WWE have indisputably always been best at is putting on PPVs. I'm a wCw mark honest, but for some reason whenever I watch/used to watch a wCw PPV I always just felt like behind the scenes there was producers / suits running round like madmen trying to keep everything in order and calming down the egos in the dressing room.

·
Registered
7,449 Posts
Sure, the first couple of Starrcades may have been equal or better than Wrestlemania 1 and 2, but after Wrestlemania III there's no comparison.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Triplemania is bigger than Wrestlemania and Starrcade combined.

·
Premium Member
43,674 Posts
The only time it was ever debatable that Starrcade was "bigger" was in 1997 when they had Hogan vs. Sting, which was the biggest match of the year for WCW, and Wrestlemania 13 was an uninteresting & underhyped event.

Other than that though, it was pretty much always Wrestlemania that was the bigger show.

·
Registered
7,523 Posts
After Mania III with Hogan Andre Starrcade was 2nd rate i feel from Starrcade 83 to 86 they were bigger than Mania. In All honesty would you rather watch Hogan Bundy in a Cage Match or The Road Warriors Midnight Express in the Scaffold Match for Me the 1st 4 starrcade events own the first two mania events maybe im just big NWA/Crocket Mark

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Ok so we all know that Wrestlemania is the biggest Wrestling event you'll ever see and it just is "the Superbowl of the WWE" as other's call it. But we all know it didn't start out like that and it wasn't until maybe Wrestlemania 6 when the two biggest icons of that time, Warrior and Hogan went at it and the crowd were chanting both men. Up until that point Wrestlemania was probably as big (Actual event, match card and entertainment wise) as any other PPV.

Yeah, sorry. You're dead wrong on this one.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Sure, the first couple of Starrcades may have been equal or better than Wrestlemania 1 and 2, but after Wrestlemania III there's no comparison.
Exactly. Wrestlemania 3 was a wrestling spectacular. Personally, I think that Wrestlemania 5 was the most special - the year long build up of the battle between Savage and Hogan was just incredible.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Don't know about bigger, but I always enjoyed Starrcade more than WM. It was an awesome PPV.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
You can match up a few Starrcades against certain Wrestlemanias and Starrcade would come out on top one out of every ten times. Starrcade 97 was way better then WM 13 (1997). Starrcade 2000 was better then Wrestlemania 2000 but other then that I can't think of any other years that Starrcade was better.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts