Wrestling Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1020 Posts

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,205 Posts
The one I don't get that people like is Revenge of the Sith. This movie is bad. It has an embarrassing final fight and the lines are the worst of all the films that aren't Attack of the Clones. By the time Sith is over, I'm so fucking sick of lightsabers. The lightsaber was still great in Phantom Menace. In Clones it got lol worthy. By the end of Sith, I never want to see another one.

As for why people don't like Rise, it's fine in most cases. If they really don't like Rise because Rey is a woman and there are black people then their opinion just flat out doesn't fucking matter. If they don't like it because the movie is fucked up in places then ok.
I'm surprised Rise made a billion.. but it is Disney and would look bad if it made 600-700m. Also that review lock on RT is still suspect. I expect Disney to try everything to make this look successful.

I don't get it, who really is complaining about Rey being a woman? People complaining she's a mary sue has nothing to do with her being female, can people not complain about a character without their gender/race/sexuality etc being used as a way to dismiss valid critique?

Also who really complained about fin being black? Other than people complaining the way JJ casted the role as being a little offensive/suspect. Lando was in the OT, Windu was in the prequels. Both are loved and good characters. So why now the hate? Fin doesn't get the girl, he's a goof and always looks like a jackass. He's the best character if you hate black people because he's a complete joke.

Surprised nobody has said the Palpatine hate was because he's old etc. I'll wait a few months before that ends up on buzzfeed.

·
Indeed
16,945 Posts
I enjoy Revenge for the exact same reason you hate it; the lightsaber fights. And yeah, the dialogue is bad. The dialogue is bad in most of the films, to be brutally honest. The first Star Wars gets a large pass from the fanbase and critics because it was the first, but the dialogue is incredibly unnatural and some of the performances are just as wooden as the prequels. It committed the franchise's original sin in that regard and it never really got past that with Lucas being in charge, he doesn't write great dialogue at all. The lightsaber fight in the original between Vader and Obi-Wan is also trash.

ROTJ's Jabba the Hutt storyline puts the breaks on the main storyline and causes it to stop to a screeching halt. I always hated that part of the film and it takes up half of it.

Whoever said John Williams made these movies much better than they are, they're right. He's the unsung hero of these films and it's the weakness in the sequel trilogy's unmemorable soundtrack that also hurts it as well.

Poe is GOAT character in the sequel trilogy.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I enjoy Revenge for the exact same reason you hate it; the lightsaber fights. And yeah, the dialogue is bad. The dialogue is bad in most of the films, to be brutally honest. The first Star Wars gets a large pass from the fanbase and critics because it was the first, but the dialogue is incredibly unnatural and some of the performances are just as wooden as the prequels. It committed the franchise's original sin in that regard and it never really got past that with Lucas being in charge, he doesn't write great dialogue at all. The lightsaber fight in the original between Vader and Obi-Wan is also trash.
The performances in the original SW are fine. Lucas didn't want his actors to be overly intense because it was a simple fairy tale adventure serial. If that movie came out today or if someone like Abrams had directed, upon discovering his foster parents had been burnt to a crisp... Luke would probably be crying and screaming and having boogers drip from his nose. Instead Lucas wisely chose to keep things subdued in order to preserve the more whimsical tone of the film.

Unless they're delivering quippy punchlines the characters in the new movies at their emotional apex at all times for no apparent reason. Rey cries every movie, Finn is always screaming and acting anxious. "REYYYYY!!!!! CHEWIE!!!!! AHHHHH!!!!

^ The only time in the OT you see a character reach this level of emotional outcry is when Luke learns Vader is his father. Beyond that the performances and emotions are mostly subdued.

And the Vader/Obi duel is fuckin boss, sorry. Perfectly set up and the back and forth dialogue is legendary. It doesn't have flips and cartwheels but it looks like two dudes trying to kill each other. First and only time in a Star Wars movie where someone actually attempts a stabbing motion with a lightsaber.

ROTJ's Jabba the Hutt storyline puts the breaks on the main storyline and causes it to stop to a screeching halt. I always hated that part of the film and it takes up half of it.
40 minutes out of a 130 minute runtime.

·
40,705 Posts
The best lightsaber fight is Luke v Vader in Empire. It borders on horror it's so damn good.

The best parts of Revenge of the Sith do get the horror of the dark side right. That's about all I like about it. But then Palpatine says unlimited power and it ruins everything.

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,205 Posts
The best lightsaber fight is Luke v Vader in Empire. It borders on horror it's so damn good.

The best parts of Revenge of the Sith do get the horror of the dark side right. That's about all I like about it. But then Palpatine says unlimited power and it ruins everything.
I think what was missing from Obi Wan/Anakin fight was Anakin going berserk and losing due to arrogance. I didn't think it was well executed.

Some fans did an extended fight scene with Old man Obi Wan and Vader and it's really good because Vader is just angry and losing it. They made it mesh in well.

For the new trilogy honestly it didn't need light sabers. The Mandalorian works without them, there didn't need to be so many saber fights, especially when we know Rey will win.

The Luke/Vader scenes and the Lando/Spaceship fights and Leia's and Han's scenes made ROTJ good. Without those it would be such a bad movie. I think people miss the entire point of Luke and Vader's fights and just think it's about light sabers.

·
Used to be a Dreamer, Dreamin' of a Fire
6,179 Posts
With the 9-movie Skywalker Saga completed let’s rank the Star Wars movies:

1. Empire Strikes Back
2. A New Hope
3. The Last Jedi
4. Return of the Jedi
5. Revenge of the Sith
6. The Force Awakens
7. The Rise of Skywalker
8. The Phantom Menace
9. Attack of the Clones
This might just be spot on as far as the Skywalker saga goes. Btw I've been reading your posts on this trilogy, thanks for the shout outs man and you've been pretty spot on. People who see the greatness of TLJ... they just get it lol

TROS is so disappointing that I honestly will probably just pretend it never happened. The Last Jedi actually kind of wraps things up nicely, everyone's character arcs are complete. Kylo rejects the light side and vows Genocide finally becoming the Supreme Leader and a bona-fide Big Bad with no cheesy, predictable redemption. Rey is his light side equivalent and her parentage no longer has to matter she's just Rey. And a young force user looks to the sky inspired to be a Jedi one day - we know the First Order will eventually fall.

That's a good enough ending for me.

These movies have been a wild ride. All in all the 1st trilogy is easily the best. But the 2nd trilogy had the most satisfying conclusion while the 3rd trilogy was 2nd best but had the hands down most disappointing conclusion. Ranking ALL the films

1. A New Hope
2. The Last Jedi
3. Empire Strikes Back
4. Revenge of the Sith
5. The Force Awakens
5b. Return of the Jedi
6. Rogue One
7. Solo
8. The Phantom Menace
9. The Rise of Skywalker
10. Attack of the Clones

I wasn't interested in the Mandalorian but I've been enjoying it so far. I'm back on my star wars shit. Gotta buy and play that new game for completionism sake.

As disappointed as I am with the latest I'm super excited about the next Rian Johnson movie in 2024 or whatever

·
KAMEHAMEHA!
18,182 Posts
Here's me ranking movies, most of which I haven't seen in years and some I barely remember

1. Return of the Jedi. I like endings and this was a good one. And what a cool title, the best title of any SW movie. I like titles too
2. Empire Strikes Back. The collective unconscious of the SW hive mind compel me to place this movie no lower than 2. It's a pretty good one.
3. New Hope: really good Space Opera, although the climax is pretty bland.
4. Revenge of the Sith: Less boring than the one below.
5. Phantom Menace: The lore and the politics are great but it's just so boring.
6. Attack of the Clones: I think if you just watch the Chrisopher Lee scenes, this would be okay.
7. Rise of Skywalker: Will probably never watch this one, but that's still better than...
8. Force Awakens: What if New Hope was slightly different?
9. Last Jedi: baby jesus on a cross shaped pram

Not really a big fan of the franchise in that I have rarely revisited these movies. But I really enjoyed 4, 5, 6 when I first watched them and enjoyed 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 when I did my rewatch. It all just felt like one big story in my head so I just went by the parts I liked the most in the story. Force Awakens was the first one I saw in theatres and it sucked and it was all downhill from there.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have not seen this yet and I had free tickets....

I haven't liked the Rey or Finn characters since TFA, I was rooting for Kylo to kill them all from the very start :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
My favorite part of the entire fight is when Luke says "You'll find I'm full of surprises" and tries to stab him quick... but Vader sees it coming a mile away and just nonchalantly counters every strike, knocking the saber out of Luke's hand.

So fuckin boss.

·
There is no duty we so much underrate as... being
18,964 Posts
The Empire Strikes Back establishes Darth Vader as one of cinema's greatest villains (and people tend to vote for him to this day as cinema's greatest).

So many qualities make that motion picture sing so devastatingly well after four decades. Peter Suschitzky's exemplary cinematography is one of aforementioned qualities. Suschitzky has said in numerous interviews that lighting Darth Vader was notoriously difficult in the cavernous studio he and director Irvin Kershner utilized for the shoot, which spurred him to work with a bevy of enormous diffused lights from particular angles.

Some of the scenes with the most disquieting imagery were engendered out of grim necessity due to a ballooning budget that had to be reined in. Suschitzky has said that in several critical scenes there was no background constructed but rather only a foreground. After spending a few moments considering this problem Suschitzky opted to employ a large array of black drapes and smoke, and these items only made certain pivotal scenes only more exquisite.

When, at Bespin, Luke Skywalker turns his head and looks upward to Darth Vader towering above him--Kershner's visual clue as to who will be dominant--and the smoke billows about Vader and James Earl Jones's voice icily declares that Luke is not a Jedi yet, we know we are witnessing one of the cinema's finest characters in Vader, rendered to perfection.

Still have not seen Rise of Skywalker and could not care less about seeing it anytime soon, just wanted to concur with some above comments on the dazzling Empire Strikes Back. (Also: Return of the Jedi is even better!)

·
Registered
270 Posts
The Empire Strikes Back establishes Darth Vader as one of cinema's greatest villains (and people tend to vote for him to this day as cinema's greatest).

So many qualities make that motion picture sing so devastatingly well after four decades. Peter Suschitzky's exemplary cinematography is one of aforementioned qualities. Suschitzky has said in numerous interviews that lighting Darth Vader was notoriously difficult in the cavernous studio he and director Irvin Kershner utilized for the shoot, which spurred him to work with a bevy of enormous diffused lights from particular angles.

Some of the scenes with the most disquieting imagery were engendered out of grim necessity due to a ballooning budget that had to be reined in. Suschitzky has said that in several critical scenes there was no background constructed but rather only a foreground. After spending a few moments considering this problem Suschitzky opted to employ a large array of black drapes and smoke, and these items only made certain pivotal scenes only more exquisite.

When, at Bespin, Luke Skywalker turns his head and looks upward to Darth Vader towering above him--Kershner's visual clue as to who will be dominant--and the smoke billows about Vader and James Earl Jones's voice icily declares that Luke is not a Jedi yet, we know we are witnessing one of the cinema's finest characters in Vader, rendered to perfection.

Still have not seen Rise of Skywalker and could not care less about seeing it anytime soon, just wanted to concur with some above comments on the dazzling Empire Strikes Back. (Also: Return of the Jedi is even better!)
ESB is great no doubt but in some ways I think it actually hurt the film industry. That was the movie that kind of gave birth to 'episodic' films in service of the larger franchise. Now instead of getting great, standalone films... we get incomplete movies that function only to set up it's sequels. It's pretty annoying.

Because say what you want about Empire, it's not a complete film. It's unabashedly a middle chapter in a trilogy. It doesn't deliver a satisfying ending.

1001 - 1020 of 1020 Posts