Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 1020 Posts

·
Banned
28,112 Posts
Re: Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow to direct Star Wars: Episode 9

Can't say I am surprised, Colin did a tremendous job with Jurassic World. Congrats to him, he deserves the opportunity IMO.

The only downside is I was hoping they might of courted Colin for the Indy reboot :sad:

·
Banned
14,424 Posts

I really didn't think JW was anything special. More in the category of "not bad" than good. This worries me.

·
Banned
28,112 Posts

It's official!

Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy:

Colin is someone I’ve been interested in working with ever since I saw Safety Not Guaranteed. The power of that film paired with the enormous success of Jurassic World speaks volumes about his abilities both as a storyteller and skilled filmmaker. We are thrilled to have such an incredible talent as Colin join our family and step into the Star Wars universe.”

Colin:

This is not a job or an assignment. It is a seat at a campfire, surrounded by an extraordinary group of storytellers, filmmakers, artists and craftspeople. We’ve been charged with telling new stories for a younger generation because they deserve what we all had—a mythology to call their own. We will do this by channeling something George Lucas instilled in all of us: boundless creativity, pure invention and hope.”
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/472511-d23-colin-trevorrow-confirmed-for-star-wars-episode-ix

·
Banned
14,424 Posts

Wow. It's been a HELL of a year for this guy. I actually think he'll do better with a Star Wars movie than he did with JW, which I didn't really like much.

60,001 Posts

Excellent news. I like their commitment to finding "name" directors. This film is along way off, but I'll take this a good news. Disney is going all out with the franchise. It's a nice feeling after the interminable wait between Jedi and Phantom Menace.

·
Premium Member
43,813 Posts

Not sure how to feel about this.

On one hand, Jurassic World was a really fun film that made me feel like an 8 year old again. However, there were also big lapses in logic within the story that I hope he would avoid in a Star Wars film. Also, in Star Wars films I want practical special effects and Jurassic World hardly had any, if it at all.

But lets see how 7 and 8 go before I start worrying over 9.

·
Premium Member
9,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-episode-9-filming-in-space/

Director Colin Trevorrow Wants to Shoot ‘Star Wars: Episode 9’ in Outer Space

Just recently, Star Wars: Episode 9 director Colin Trevorrow attracted some attention when he said that he wanted to shoot the finale of the current Star Wars trilogy on film rather than digital. But, what’s more interesting perhaps, isn’t what he wants to shoot it with, but where he wants to shoot it. Namely, in outer space.

Trevorrow was speaking to an audience at the Sundance Film Festival when he revealed to the crowd that he’s asked Disney and Lucasfilm about the logistics of shooting some scenes for Star Wars among the actual stars.

I asked the question, ‘Is it possible for us to shoot IMAX film in actual space for Star Wars, and I haven’t gotten an answer yet, but they’ve shot IMAX in space!’

Which is a very good point. It may seem silly to shoot some establishing shots of space for use in Star Wars: Episode 9, but almost entire IMAX documentaries were shot in space, like Hubble 3D, which is absolutely mesmerizing. If Trevorrow, Disney and Lucasfilm could use that same technology to shoot scenes for a Star Wars movie, that would be something to behold. And if anyone can make it so this happens, it’s Disney and Lucasfilm who just so happen to have a couple bucks lying around.

Now this probably does not mean that they’ll be rocketing Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley into space (though wouldn’t that be something). Instead we’ll guess that Trevorrow is looking to film backgrounds or perhaps background plates for visual effects.

The question we’re sure will be asked is, why? Gravity didn’t film in space, but it sure looked gorgeous and realistic. It may very well turn out to be possible, but very expensive and far cheaper to do in a computer in California.

Whatever the final decision is, Trevorrow and his team have time to make up their minds: Star Wars: Episode 9 is set for release in 2019.

·
Banned
14,424 Posts

What the fuck would be the point of shooting in space? No studio in their right mind would budget that.

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts

Shooting in space sounds as rediculous and overly method as David Ayer hiring real therapists for Suicide Squad. It's a fuckin movie guys.(at least with Suicide Squad I can MAYBE see the actors needing therapists, because being an actor overall can be quite stressful. Star Wars shooting in space just seems way too try hard and gimmicky for no reason.)

·
Registered
15,410 Posts

tbf -- It's the script i'd be worried about, not who's directing. The directors on SW movies are interchangeable and this one will probably have to follow so many pre planned production guidelines that his own input will be minimal and hardly noticeable like in the OT. Without any significant kind of creative control it doesn't really matter unless they pick someone that's ridiculously incompetent at his job

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts

I haven't really been on the "Disney" hype train with anything besides Guardians and Winter Soldier. You can just tell it's the same board of execs making these movies.

That being said I hope the script does live up, but I'm not expecting it to :quimby

·
Registered
15,410 Posts

That being said I hope the script does live up, but I'm not expecting it to :quimby
It certainly needs to live up to expectations considering that TFA was mostly set up for things to come. If they don't hit the ball out of the park with the sequel then that can cause people to see the TFA in an entirely new context like what happened with the prequels. If you remember, TPM was generally well received in 1999 but over time people started perceiving it differently and now it's part of a trilogy that most people rather forget ever existed

I'm not even a fan of TFA as a standalone movie, but i'm still waiting on the other 2 before I write it off completely because these movies are always part of a bigger picture that is revealed over time -- which can make the individual parts much better or much worse --

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts

It certainly needs to live up to expectations considering that TFA was mostly set up for things to come. If they don't hit the ball out of the park with the sequel then that can cause people to see the TFA in an entirely new context like what happened with the prequels. If you remember, TPM was generally well received in 1999 but over time people started perceiving it differently and now it's part of a trilogy that most people rather forget ever existed

I'm not even a fan of TFA as a standalone movie, but i'm still waiting on the other 2 before I write it off completely because these movies are always part of a bigger picture that is revealed over time which can make the individual parts much better or much worse --
Yea I totally agree. Was telling my friends this exact thing same thing.

I remember this happening with the Amazing Spider-man movies as well. Once that second one came out everyone started crapping all over the first.(not that the first didn't have it's naysayers, but it was generally well liked at first just like TPM).

·
Banned
28,112 Posts

I took those comments in jest. I doubt Colin was really being serious, well I hope he wasn't.

As for who's writing Episode 9 I am not sure. It was rumored at one point that Rian Johnson would be writing both 8 & 9 but I am not sure if that was confirmed or not. I'd figure Trevorrow will be involved as well.

And I wouldn't be worried about creative control, Kathleen Kennedy is in complete charge of LucasFilm and is running a tight ship.

·
Banned
14,424 Posts

tbf I liked TFA a lot the night I seen it and shortly after, but the more weeks that went by to digest it, the less I liked it. And I definitely feel the criticisms are valid. Still good, but definitely not great. Trevorrow worries me a lot more than Abrams did, though. Abrams has already made a career out of making his own versions of other people's work before Star Wars.

I just worry since Jurassic World was one of the most substance-less movies I seen last year, and it seemed like Trevorrow had no idea what the fuck he was doing with it. It was like a borderline spoof at times. I can't believe that landed him Star Wars. The sequel is expected to have a lot more emotion and darkness in it, and I don't see him as being the guy to bring that out.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts

Not sure how to feel about this.

On one hand, Jurassic World was a really fun film that made me feel like an 8 year old again. However, there were also big lapses in logic within the story that I hope he would avoid in a Star Wars film. Also, in Star Wars films I want practical special effects and Jurassic World hardly had any, if it at all.

But lets see how 7 and 8 go before I start worrying over 9.
That depends more on the screenwriter than the director. Most of the flaws in Jurassic World were in the writing department rather than the direction.

·
Registered
7,633 Posts
Re: Jurassic World director Colin Trevorrow to direct Star Wars: Episode IX

Disney just announced that part 9 won't be as good as 7 and 8.

1 - 20 of 1020 Posts