Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So much of each RAW and Smackdown is spent on squash matches that it is getting beyond the point of tedium, to genuine anger at the laziness of the writing.

We've had 3 guys go on undefeated streaks in uncompetitive matches. Tensai, Brodus Clay, and Ryback all destroyed their opponents for weeks upon weeks and 2 of those are STILL undefeated. Having 3 guys on the roster do the same thing was and still is overkill. You may think I'm exaggerating but that's 3 times per week (or more if they appeared on both shows or superstars) that they get put against some random jobber, who we all know has no chance in hell of winning, and that time could be spent on putting these guys in an actual FEUD or spent on just more unpredictable matches. Every time one of them came out I for one just mentally switched off, what's the point of watching Ryback beat the hell out of two guys for the 847th week in a row? It doesn't even make him look better now, because he's repeating the same trick. Ok so you can beat two guys whose combined weight doesn't even add up to yours. We get it. It's particularly bad on Smackdown where you have an announcement that Ryback's up next, then commercial break, then dragged out Ryback squash match, then Raw Rebound, then another commercial break. That adds up to about 20-25 minutes of nothing. No storyline progression, no feud, no competition, no WRESTLING. Just a waste of mine and everyone else's time. If Brodus is on the show too then make that 30-35 minutes, at least, cos we get the dancing with him too.

I can appreciate the value of a squash match in building somebody to be unstoppable but let's at least have only one guy at once in that scenario. And 4 or 5 squashes is enough and should be the maximum before putting the guy in a damn feud and using him properly. Kayfabe wise having 3 upstoppable guys makes no sense either because surely you would put them in matches against each other to see who is the better man, rather than these awful jobbers.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I like it when Ryback does it, because I think they just want to keep adding the number of guys he beats (He said: FEED ME THREE! on RAW, so I guess he'll face three now, then four, and then maybe a high profile fued. Rybacks getting over too. All this crap with Brodus and Cara? GTFO. Maybe Cesaro still, but Sandow needs a fued ASAP.

Bottom Line: Ryback, and maybe Cesaro should be squashing.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
way too many squash matches every week on both shows is just time wasting and disheartening and uninteresting.
1 yes but multiple is wasting air time.

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like it when Ryback does it, because I think they just want to keep adding the number of guys he beats (He said: FEED ME THREE! on RAW, so I guess he'll face three now, then four, and then maybe a high profile fued. Rybacks getting over too. All this crap with Brodus and Cara? GTFO. Maybe Cesaro still, but Sandow needs a fued ASAP.

Bottom Line: Ryback, and maybe Cesaro should be squashing.
Forgot about Cesaro....damn so that's 4 guys squashing people right now, not to mention Sin Cara and Sandow winning all of their matches too.....

Just because Ryback's going to face 3 guys doesn't make it any less boring. They will just be 3 locals instead of 2 and the result will be the same and just as predicable. There's no way they will consider him losing unless in a real feud with an established star.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Only Ryback should be squashing because he is actually having matches with real jobbers.
Antonio Cesaro should be having regular matches as should Shadow.
If the crative team don't have anything for a talent then they shouldn't be bringing them up, this is pretty obvious to everyone but them.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Squash matches were the NORM for televised wrestling until about 1997 in North America. That's what they had Clash of the Champions (WCW) and Saturday Night Main Events (WWF) for. When it cme to regular TV programs, unless it was the main event of the show, the bulk consisted of squashes, segments, and interviews.

That said, it's very frustrating to see the SAME squash match from guys like Ryback and Brodus. Very redundant. They need to build these guys up, do NOT do what they did to Tensai: squash, squash, squash, JOHN CENA!! Give him a midcard feud, then a midcard title feud, and THEN the top star. And all of that should play out in eight months MINIMUM.

Damn, did I digress much??

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Basically Sandow is squashing as well, and Cara's matches are just glorified squash matches too.

I'm getting more and more used to Ryberg, so it's sorta working..
Right now I want to see him face 3-4 local jobbers, 2 has been enough.

After that, sure, real competition and (hopefully) real matches.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Why the hell are squashes on prime time TV anyway? That's why there's Superstars, dark matches, etc anyway. I'll take the competitive, yet obvious matches over these 3 minute messes any day.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Speaking of squash matches, why does this site try to deliver malware?

This is now the third time I've seen an attempted trojan delivery by this site, in this case Win32/Jpgiframe.A. And no, I'm not using IE.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Ryback's squashes are really the only ones that work for me, it is fun watching him toss around jobbers like nothing.

·
The One Who Knocks
5,341 Posts
Squash matches have their place in wrestling when you're using it to get one guy over. But when there are multiple guys on the roster who are undefeated through the same means of booking it not only becomes repetitive and boring, but makes each man's individual accomplishments seem less impressive and thus less worth becoming invested in as a viewer. If Clay's winning streak ends, oh well, there's still Ryback and Sandow and X number of other guys being booked the same way.

·
"I wunna eat his children"
432 Posts
And whenever Ambrose comes up, that dude'll be squashing mufuckas as well.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Funny how people say this now, yet in attitude era, I remember someone posting win/loss stats from it, and there were several stars with 10+ losses and 0-1 wins.

4,549 Posts
Speaking of squash matches, why does this site try to deliver malware?

This is now the third time I've seen an attempted trojan delivery by this site, in this case Win32/Jpgiframe.A. And no, I'm not using IE.
I don't mind squashes, but I do mind trojans. I'm also getting multiple notifications about jpgiframe.A.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I agree, I've never seen sooooo many squash matches take place in such a small amount of time. It's the same thing with each new guy they debut, how about trying something new? No one cares about these new dudes wining over local guys who don't even work for the company nor do we care about them winning over WWE's own jobbers. Storylines or gtfo.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts