Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spud talked about many pro wrestling subjects including “strong style” pro wrestling. You can check out Spud’s comments on strong style below, and the entire interview on Irish Mirror and The Buzzards Podcast.

“Strong style is the wrong style in my opinion. I understand why wrestlers want to work that style but for me its not worth the praise. Given the broken neck I had in 2009, I learnt a lot. When I lost my hair to EC3 we did little in that match as possible as Ethan could only use one arm thanks to a bad bicep injury, I had 4,000 people get behind me and wish death upon Ethan. More so than the aerial stuff I did years ago at smaller shows."

Don’t worry, I’m sure there’s actors out there who do ‘strong style’ acting where they actually fire guns each other in the gunfight scenes I mean think about it: ‘This is strong style acting guys, I’m bringing legitimacy and honor to the role’ says Tom Cruise when he’s actually flying a fighter jet."

·
Intoner
6,591 Posts
Why every other wrestlers feels like he needs to crap over what others are doing? Orton, now Spud. Not saying he's wrong, but if wrestlers want to go full speed, than kudos to them. I'm sure they now their risks.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I kind of agree with him. Strong style doesnt just effect the wrestler but also their opponent and longevity in wrestling is a thing of the past these days.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I kind of agree with him. Strong style doesnt just effect the wrestler but also their opponent and longevity in wrestling is a thing of the past these days.
Obliviously Japan is on another level, but look at Katsuyori Shibata. Is a life/career threatening injury worth it trying to make it more "real"? Let me headbutt you really hard......

Look at Cesaro. a simple rope dive almost paralyzed him. Multiple broken necks at all levels/federations, concussions, torn ACLs etc.

Droz.

You don't need to add another element of extreme risk. A stiff chop, sure everyone does that....maybe a vet stretches a rook.

Reactions: JoseChung

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
I don't understand the fascination with strong style wrestling. I watch Puro and am entertained by it, but there are so many wince inducing moments when they lay into each other. Wrestling is already a crazily dangerous endeavor it doesn't need to wantonly be more risky. To each their own though, because I watch and enjoy it just the same for the most part. I don't think that strong style guys should work as overtly strong with guys who aren't comfortable with that style, there should be a middle ground for everyone. pro wrestling isn't about being "tough" or proving that you are "tough" it's about entertaining the fans especially in North America.

·
Banned
531 Posts
well I didn't even think wrestling period is worth it now I love wrestling and everything but look how many of these guys die early and these are just the guys who die, think about all the guys who live in constant pain or have other issues

So I can see where Spud is coming from without a doubt

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why every other wrestlers feels like he needs to crap over what others are doing? Orton, now Spud. Not saying he's wrong, but if wrestlers want to go full speed, than kudos to them. I'm sure they now their risks.
I don't think he was flat out shitting on the style it probably had something to do with the question he was asked.

I do think strong style has a place like maybe at big PPV grudge matches or grudge matches in general but i don't think it's should be every match you have.

·
I did nothing wrong
8,909 Posts
Strong Style's not even a real style

I ASSUME he means working stiff in which case, whatever. But that example is fucking retarded, and what is even the point of this?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've always love Spud, he's charismatic gold.

However, the only people who should be against "strong style" besides the wrestlers themselves are wrestling promoters.

Fans don't have to worry about injuries. They just need to be entertained, and guys upping the ante physically is pretty much embraced by wrestling fans across the board.

Wanting easier work for the same pay is human nature. However, we as fans should demand more, not less.

·
Banned
1,605 Posts
Wrestling is already a dangerous thing to be doing, If both competitors ae okay with it let them go crazy I say

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
While I will admit to enjoying watching strong style matches, I have to agree with Spud on this one, there's absolutely no reason to be doing it and just shortening your career. Especially considering the recent situation with Shibata.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts