Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Ex Con With A Heart Of Gold
10,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A spot monkey is somebody who just does spots because they don't a character or psychology, right? It isn't an insult on somebody to say they can do good spots, its an insult because it means spots are the only thing they can do.

Well, why isn't there a perjorative for somebody who is a mediocre wrestler and tries to paper it over with talking? Wrestlers like Morrison are derided as a spot monkey, why not The Miz as say, a "blabbermouth"?

"The Miz should never have been champ. He's just a blabbermouth. Has he ever had a nice spot or 4 star match?"

· Registered
1,078 Posts
Spot Monkey to me means pointless spots, for no reason. That would be people like Jeff Hardy, who could've won a match but instead jumped off a ladder onto Edge. That mentality does not make sense. That is why I sort of disliked him. I like Morrison because although he has his spots, he is not a spot monkey. All of his stuff is necessary, or has a point. Like his Rumble and Raw Rumble spots, and his spot in Elimination Chamber all had a purpose. I don't like people who are good talkers but shitty wrestlers because they can only entertain for a few minutes, when they're talking. When they start wrestling, it makes any feud seem boring and not fresh.

Reactions: IAmNotAJ

· Registered
1,123 Posts
Yes. I am. I'll prove it too: Fuck Christian

See?
What i meant is that many diverse people visit this forum. Being diverse they have a diversity of visions and ideas about pro-wrestling. Saying you don't want spotmonkeys in your main event was quite unilateral and only reflected your choice and liking.

I personaly like spotmonkeys/high flyers and actual wrestlers. I was shocked when WWE decided to become an entertainment and to call wrestlers "entertainers". In my opinon WWE is no more "pro-wrestling". It's only a cheap and sitcom "entertainment slightly based on wrestling" like a bad reality show.

I understand that you wish to show your own opinion and you feel a need to exist through that. But this forum has less and less discussions and respect, it seems to focus on the expression of self opinion or bashing. I know like all internet :no:

· Celestial Messiah
39,109 Posts
I dont see what the problem is. I said I like no spotmonkeys in my main event. Notice I didnt say "Main events shoudlnt have spot monkeys"

Even though they really shoudlnt. A mega main event match should tell a story and intensify a feud or end it decisively. And a spotmonkey cant do either.

· Celestial Messiah
39,109 Posts
What i meant is that many diverse people visit this forum. Being diverse they have a diversity of visions and ideas about pro-wrestling. Saying you don't want spotmonkeys in your main event was quite unilateral and only reflected your choice and liking.

I personaly like spotmonkeys/high flyers and actual wrestlers. I was shocked when WWE decided to become an entertainment and to call wrestlers "entertainers". In my opinon WWE is no more "pro-wrestling". It's only a cheap and sitcom "entertainment slightly based on wrestling" like a bad reality show.

I understand that you wish to show your own opinion and you feel a need to exist through that. But this forum has less and less discussions and respect, it seems to focus on the expression of self opinion or bashing. I know like all internet :no:
A spotmonkey can be a high flier, but not every high flier is a spotmonkey.

A spot monkey is just someone that relies on spots. It can be anyone. Hardcore, technical, high flying etc.

But there are some high fliers that apply great logic to their wrestling and excellent psychology. Like Rey Mysterio lately.

· Registered
1,123 Posts
A spotmonkey can be a high flier, by not every high flier is a spotmonkey.

A spot monkey is just someone that relies on spots. It can be anyone. Hardcore, technical, high flying etc.

But there are some high fliers that apply great logic to their wrestling and excellent psychology. Like Rey Mysterio lately.
Thanks i badly understood then, sorry for the latter aggression. I had the impression that spotmonkeys was mainly used here about technical wrestlers and high flyers.

I believed that this topic was about the despise of them versus the love of "speakers" (is there a name to speak about a wrestler who can speak but not wrestle ? )

· Registered
1,858 Posts
I'd rather a wrestler be able to cut a promo over being able to do crazy shit to their bodies, and it seems to be a choice usually, either a mid card spot monkey, or a main eventer who can cut a promo or tell a story. thats why guys like morrison are midcarders for life.
no personality and just does spots to get some cheers.

· Proud Pastafarian =)
4,086 Posts
"spot monkeys" are far more entertaining to me. At least they have some athletic abilities

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.