Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never really been into sports but I'm trying to get started. I have to ask, what's it like being a fan? Do you watch games between other teams or only your own? And do you sit through entire games (in some cases, two hours of three yard pitches)? What do you do during the off season?

PS: Screwbs

·
Banned
19,408 Posts
its now 8:38am and i just finished breakfast after staying up all night to watch the semi-final of the football world cup between Netherlands/Uruguay. I am from neither country and i'm what one would consider, a sports nut. I watch pretty much every game of rugby league, rugby union, mma event and cricket i can.

·
40,604 Posts
During American football season I watch multiple games a week, as much as I can digest, both pro and college, including my two beloved teams of course. SEC Football is kinda an obsession of mine even though I have no investment from an emotional standpoint, as neither of my two favorite teams play in the conference. I just love the way the SEC plays the game.

I'm not sure anyone can tell you what it's like to be a fan. You have to grow into it and experience it yourself.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I watch pretty much any football/soccer game I can. There is something special about watching your own team, but I love watching it in general anyway.

·
Valar Morghulis
7,600 Posts
i'll pretty much watch any sport there is for the most part, with a few exceptions (cricket, baseball..). idk how to describe being a fan, I guess it's just something you are.

·
Banned
4,479 Posts
I love sports.
I'll watch almost any basketball game , any NFL game and most MMA fights.
For soccer I'll watch almost every World Cup game , but outside of WC I hardly watch. I'll watch the Galaxy (Donovan's team) once in a while.
I can only watch the 8th and 9th innings of baseball. It's the slowest game in the world.
I can only watch golf when Tiger is playing and can only watch Racing for the last few laps if it's a big race.
I loveeeeeeeeee NFL but hate college football with a passion.
I really hate the time after the NBA Finals and before NFL starts. Most boring time ever unless World Cup or the Summer Olympics are on.

If you want to jump into a sport at a perfect time , try college basketball during March Madness. Crazy intense drama every game. It's like World Cup

·
Banned
9,291 Posts
I've never really been into sports but I'm trying to get started. I have to ask, what's it like being a fan? Do you watch games between other teams or only your own? And do you sit through entire games (in some cases, two hours of three yard pitches)? What do you do during the off season?

PS: Screwbs
Alright, I'll answer you bit by bit. What is it like being a sport fan? Well, for me at least, its one huge emotional roller coaster. One moment you could be riding sky high as your team is winning championships or you could be at the very bottom where your team is just atrocious. I watch games between other teams because I love sports in general. I can watch any team play American Football, same going for Baseball. As for sitting through the entire game, it really depends on who they are playing or what kind of stakes the game has. For example, I am probably not going to sit through a baseball game where the Yankees are playing the Royals, but I will sit and watch the entire game if they are playing the Red Sox or if its a big playoff game.

I never really have an off season. When baseball is in its off season, I am watching Football and when Football is over, I watch basketball and then right before you know it, baseball season starts. :D

Being a sport fan rocks. You get to experience some great highs and some real disappointing lows, but hey, anything can happen in sports.

·
Premium Member
18,721 Posts
When it's NFL season, I plan my day by what time the 49ers are on. if they are on the morning, i go to bed early the night before so i can be awake in time for the game. And i'll normally watch another game or 2.

Basketball- I usually watcdh the Kings games, plus any other big match up.

Baseball- Watch the Giants plus the playoffs/sunday night games.

Being a sports fan can be great and it can suck. it's great when your teams are great, and it sucks when your teams sucks. Also it can be really hard on the nerves when your team is a in a close game.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I love sports. I love football (soccer) so much, I play it whenever possible, watch pretty much any game that's on and always trying to improve my knowledge of the game and it's history.

I like Tennis, MMA, Boxing too but football is the main one for me.

With the teams I support I get really emotional where as if it's a neutral game I'll just enjoy the play, it's awesome.

·
In the Heat of the Moment
33,794 Posts
I'll watch soccer :)side:) religiously. Watch every game in the World Cup. I also follow three leagues very closely (English Premier League, La Liga, and Major League Soccer). Will watch Serie A and Bundesliga at times as well. So yeah, very into the sport.

I also watch MMA very closely. Will watch almost every UFC event, and catch Strikeforce from time to time.

I watch the NBA Playoffs closely, but watch the season games at a more spread out pace.

·
Excellent. The bar is so low we can step over it.
1,115 Posts
I'll follow UFC and International football (/soccer), purely because the matches/events are spread out enough that I can catch most, if not all, of it. Because I'm not really a fan of specific teams/people as much as I am a fan of the sports themselves, those sports lend themselves most comfortably to catching all of the good stuff that happens.

If Basketball was easier to catch over here, I'd watch that as well, because I do enjoy it, but it never slots as easily into my day as UFC or Football can; I have to go out of my way to watch. And, because I'm someone who can quite comfortably miss events without caring that much, I won't watch something if it takes effort to find a way to watch it. I'd also watch Wimbledon normally, but I missed it this year because I decided I wasn't going to have time for tennis and football.

If it's not on TV at a good time, or right there in front of me to download, I won't bother. Similarly, if it's on all the time so it would take too much to keep up, as with general season matches, I'll just back off from the beginning unless there's something really special that I hear has happened/is happening.

·
There are players and then there are pieces
5,052 Posts
The sport I watch religiously is MMA. UFC,Dream,Strikeforce,Bellator,KOTC, etc, I watch it all. My favorite fighters are Anderson Silva,BJ Penn,Matt Hughes,Fedor Emelianenko,Sakuraba,Shogun, and Lesnar.

I watch every game of the LA Lakers since it's where I'm from, I also try to catch big games Like Celtics/Cavs or Magic/Cavs.

Since I am from LA I don't have a pro football team. So I watch three games every sunday, and I pick what games would be the best to watch at those times. I enjoy the 49ers, Philadelphia Eagles, and Indianapolis Colts.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I watch just about every Lakers' game and I'll usually catch any NBA game that's on TNT or ESPN even if its two crap teams going at it. There are other teams that I'll watch at times even if they're not on national television like the Mavs and Grizzlies. During the offseason, I try to keep up with the all the moves teams are making and whatnot.

I tend to watch some UFC events when my favorite fighters are involved. I don't really watch the NFL all that much unless if its a big game. The only team I really pay any attention to are the Dallas Cowboys.

Soccer, I don't get to watch as much as I want to since I don't have the channels to watch the Premier League or the Spanish Primera. The only games I get to watch are the few they've shown on ESPN this past year. Hopefully this will change since I've found out ESPN3 is available on my internet provider. Oh and I think I've seen every World Cup game so far.

Baseball, tennis, golf and other sports not mentioned are sports I don't really watch but I do keep up with whats going on in them through SportsCenter.

·
DOOMED
33,209 Posts
as pathetic as it might sound, being a football fan and sports fan in general is in my blood and i've simply grown up watching it. some of my earliest memories are going to watch Utd and just watching football in general.

it's the best drug in the world, more highs and downers, and doesn't fuck with your health too much.

in terms of what i'll watch; football, american football, basketball, mma, boxing, cricket, rugby union and tennis, all tend to be the main ones unless i'm forgetting an obvious one. football is and always will be the main one and one of the biggest parts of the life.

·
*something amusing*
1,929 Posts
I'm a lifelong Notts County fan, it's in the family. Once you grow attached to a team your hooked for life. I've had a season ticket (ticket for every home game in the season) for the past like 14 years and have been watching us play awful football, struggling financially, battling against going out of the league etc..

Last Season, "Business picked up" so to speak and we rebuilt the team and won the league by about 10 points.

I don't think you can beat the feeling of driving for 2 hours (nothing to americans but thats a pretty long drive in England :p) on a tuesday night, knowing you wont be home till gone midnight with work the next day and being there with about 1200 other fans of your team to watch them beat somebody 5-0 and clinch the league title.

Then again we also had a great cup run. We beat Wigan (a team 3 leagues above us) 2-0 at THEIR ground, again on a cold tuesday night. We never expected to win the game, you go for the experience and enjoyment. We then lost to Fulham (another Premiership team) in the next round 4-0, but 4,000 Notts County fans travelled to see it and we sang our hearts out all game and gave our players a standing ovation when they came off.

I don't think you can just decide one day you want to get into sports and be able to feel that same emotion. If you're not into sports then you're just not into it but i thought i'd share some of the things that make being a fan of a team from any sport worthwhile. 13ish years devoted to rubbish and it paid off this year finally :p

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I love football and in the past have been known to watch 10+ games a week, but over the last few years since I went to Uni and moved there I've not really been that interested, but now I'm back home for summer and the World Cup is on I've not missed a single games (apart from the ones which were played simultaneously sp* and even then I flicked between channels to keep an eye on both).

Sports is all about the thrill and living extraneously through other people (namely the sportsmen that you're watching). So it can add a buzz to your day, when you have nothing too great to do, you can flick the tv on and watch a game and get emotionally involved in what you're watcing and experience (to an extent) the highs and the lows of what's happening in the game.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
It depends on how strong a fan one is. Some people are simply fans of particular teams, some people are fans of a certain sport and some people are both.

I am a fan of several sports teams but I love sport in general so I will sit through watching matches that don't involve any of my teams. If you become particularly attached to an individual team then your happiness can easily start to become linked to the fortunes of that team.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts