Wrestling Forum banner

61 - 80 of 585 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5, 2019)

Oh, come on. I was disappointed when I knew there was no Mary Jane in the MCU but Michelle is a great character. Being another social awkward person instead of a bombshell makes her interesting. And that Zendaya kid looks so cute without all the makeup and fanfare. I didn't have faith in liking her character in Homecoming but I ended in love with her lel.
MJ without the red hair and super model looks is like Iron Man without a suit of armor or Hulk not being a giant green rage monster. It's iconic to her character. The change is insulting to the fans. I would have liked the character just fine had she just been some random new character with MJ being introduced in some later movie but they've already went and shit all over that by calling this one MJ.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

MJ without the red hair and super model looks is like Iron Man without a suit of armor or Hulk not being a giant green rage monster. It's iconic to her character. The change is insulting to the fans. I would have liked the character just fine had she just been some random new character with MJ being introduced in some later movie but they've already went and shit all over that by calling this one MJ.
And even worse, Zendaya can at least pull the look off

Reactions: BORT and Tater

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts

Really?? I thought they might all stay dead!!

Of course that is going to happen but it is like any major cliffhanger from any TV show - obviously everyone is going to be ok in the end but I don't want to see a clip of episode 2 of the new series where everything is back to normal...it is fucking retarded this trailer coming out now
:shrug It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Everyone already knows the dusted weren't staying dusted and everyone already knew this wasn't the end of the MCU. Due to marketing reasons, you have to release trailers for movies. The only way to not have this trailer come out before Endgame is to change the release date to the Fall. It makes more sense money-wise to release this as a Summer movie.

I mean, bitching about seeing people alive who you already knew weren't going to be dead seems like a really minor thing to bitch about. I'm sure there will be plenty of real deaths *coughcoughCapcough* in Endgame to keep your bloodlust satisfied.

And even worse, Zendaya can at least pull the look off
I'd have been okay with her had she looked like this and oh yeah, had MJ's personality too. She not only doesn't look the part, she doesn't act it either.

·
Registered
22,868 Posts

I'd have been okay with her had she looked like this and oh yeah, had MJ's personality too. She not only doesn't look the part, she doesn't act it either.
Oh no doubt. In fact a lot of the problem with these movies is that the writers have no idea how actual teenagers act and just filled the movie with stereotypes. No one has a character that isn't stock.

Reactions: Tater

·
Registered
1,188 Posts

:shrug It doesn't bother me in the slightest. Everyone already knows the dusted weren't staying dusted and everyone already knew this wasn't the end of the MCU. Due to marketing reasons, you have to release trailers for movies. The only way to not have this trailer come out before Endgame is to change the release date to the Fall. It makes more sense money-wise to release this as a Summer movie.

I mean, bitching about seeing people alive who you already knew weren't going to be dead seems like a really minor thing to bitch about. I'm sure there will be plenty of real deaths *coughcoughCapcough* in Endgame to keep your bloodlust satisfied.

Just release the trailer a week into Endgame's run. This film could have no trailers before release and it would still make a shedload of money

It is pointless me repeating myself again but it is just fucking retarded having a trailer for a film with so much riding on it - Cap's tears, IM's apparent imminent death and then before that film is even released have trailer for a film set after it full of clowns making bad jokes all happy and smiling...

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts

Just release the trailer a week into Endgame's run. This film could have no trailers before release and it would still make a shedload of money

It is pointless me repeating myself again but it is just fucking retarded having a trailer for a film with so much riding on it - Cap's tears, IM's apparent imminent death and then before that film is even released have trailer for a film set after it full of clowns making bad jokes all happy and smiling...
It bothers you. It doesn't bother me. Agree to disagree.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts

People love to complain just to complain. Even without this trailer dropping it was still announced just like the guardians just like black panther and Just like Doctor Strange sequels. So of course none of them were going to stay dusted

·
Registered
3,730 Posts

To be honest I don't consider Michelle to be MCU's Mary Jane. Her being called MJ is just a little nod but for me she's her own thing, like Ned Leeds. I enjoyed Michelle a lot because I accepted that. I don't expect Michelle to have the carpe diem attitude of Mary Jane. I don't expect her to hang out with Harry Osborn and then dump him. I don't expect her not to meet Parker until he's on the university (obviously). I don't expect her to be his third girlfriend after Betty Brant and Gwen. I don't expect her to be an actress. I don't expect her to be anything like Mary Janes and I don't need her to be. Maybe I wouldn't be surprised if she has a similar background-her father abandoning her family, etc-, but that's it.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts

To be honest I don't consider Michelle to be MCU's Mary Jane. Her being called MJ is just a little nod but for me she's her own thing, like Ned Leeds. I enjoyed Michelle a lot because I accepted that. I don't expect Michelle to have the carpe diem attitude of Mary Jane. I don't expect her to hang out with Harry Osborn and then dump him. I don't expect her not to meet Parker until he's on the university (obviously). I don't expect her to be his third girlfriend after Betty Brant and Gwen. I don't expect her to be an actress. I don't expect her to be anything like Mary Janes and I don't need her to be. Maybe I wouldn't be surprised if she has a similar background-her father abandoning her family, etc-, but that's it.
I don't consider her to be the MCU's Mary Jane either because clearly she is not. The problem is that if you're gonna have Spider-Man, you kinda have to have Mary Jane too. It would have been totally fine had she been introduced in a later movie but giving this new character the nickname MJ is just going to confuse people if/when the real deal shows up.

·
The Dream
4,702 Posts

I didn't even notice in the first movie that she was called MJ. But that's the problem lol, those characters aren't MJ, or Flash, or Aunt May... They gave them those names but completely changed the characters. I'm afraid of what they'll do to J. Jonah Jameson if he ever appears.

It's not enough to have a cool hero and a cool villain if the rest of the characters all suck. It's a shame because Tom Holland gave us the best portrayal of Spider-Man yet, he deserves better.

·
Registered
12,449 Posts

It looks like it would be an enjoyable movie for the most part but man I really don''t like those school kids. It seems like they're trying to rehash the first movie a little bit by shoving them into random trouble again. I'm tired of characters unmasking all the damn time in these movies, Peter Parker is one of the most guarded about his secret identity, but in every movie he keeps his secret worse than Matt Murdock for christ sakes. I wouldn't be surprised if he unmasks in front of his friends , or at the very least Michelle(I'm not calling her MJ). I really don't understand why Marvel is obsessed with dull colors either, they're not as bad as DC in that regard but my goodness, the blue in the Spider suit looks dark grey / black, what the hell happened? The suit was fine before. Like, his suit is the easiest to replicate and they manage to screw that up. Mysterio's costume is a little better, but the colors are still dull and there's way too much gold on his chest. I will say though, Mysterio in action looked pretty damn good

·
Registered
3,730 Posts

I don't consider her to be the MCU's Mary Jane either because clearly she is not. The problem is that if you're gonna have Spider-Man, you kinda have to have Mary Jane too. It would have been totally fine had she been introduced in a later movie but giving this new character the nickname MJ is just going to confuse people if/when the real deal shows up.
I'm actually wondering if she will be MCU's Mary Jane after all. I mean, maybe after Far From Home she grows confident, pulls the redhair look and voilà. It would be an interesting turn of events.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts

I didn't even notice in the first movie that she was called MJ. But that's the problem lol, those characters aren't MJ, or Flash, or Aunt May... They gave them those names but completely changed the characters. I'm afraid of what they'll do to J. Jonah Jameson if he ever appears.

It's not enough to have a cool hero and a cool villain if the rest of the characters all suck. It's a shame because Tom Holland gave us the best portrayal of Spider-Man yet, he deserves better.
Ill take Michelle over the shitty versions of MJ and Ned over the shitty versions of Harry the other spiderman movies had any day.

·
Registered
12,449 Posts

MJ isn't going to show up, just like the Hobgoblin isn't likely to show up either. This Spider-Verse changed stuff for the sake of it, it is what it is

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts

I'm actually wondering if she will be MCU's Mary Jane after all. I mean, maybe after Far From Home she grows confident, pulls the redhair look and voilà. It would be an interesting turn of events.
Interesting is one word you could use to describe. It's not the word I would choose though.

MJ isn't going to show up, just like the Hobgoblin isn't likely to show up either. This Spider-Verse changed stuff for the sake of it, it is what it is
Some changes are fine. Completely overhauling characters until they are unrecognizable and cutting characters essential to the story is not. Spider-Man without Mary Jane would be like... taking away Thor's hammer and giving him a talking toaster instead.

·
The Dream
4,702 Posts

Ill take Michelle over the shitty versions of MJ and Ned over the shitty versions of Harry the other spiderman movies had any day.
The thing is, the dynamics of Peter's relationships with them also affects how I see Peter himself. Hanging around with Ned takes away from Peter's nerd side, Flash being a dork takes away from Peter's dorkyness, etc...

Michelle was the character I hated the most in Homecoming, she always seemed to appear out of nowhere to deliver a ''funny'' line, logic be damned.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts

Interesting is one word you could use to describe. It's not the word I would choose though.

Some changes are fine. Completely overhauling characters until they are unrecognizable and cutting characters essential to the story is not. Spider-Man without Mary Jane would be like... taking away Thor's hammer and giving him a talking toaster instead.
Peter had a number of love interests in the comics, it was not always Mary Jane. He is still in HS, in this version they don't even need her until college. Even if they never bring her in for his version fo spiderman who cares, its something new and fresh instead of remaking the same storylines over and over again.

You would be one of the same people bitching if they did another Mary Jane storyline.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts

The thing is, the dynamics of Peter's relationships with them also affects how I see Peter himself. Hanging around with Ned takes away from Peter's nerd side, Flash being a dork takes away from Peter's dorkyness, etc...

Michelle was the character I hated the most in Homecoming, she always seemed to appear out of nowhere to deliver a ''funny'' line, logic be damned.
How does hanging around Ned take away Peters nerd side? Ned is a nerd too, nerds hang out together. Also how does flash being a dork take away Pete's dorkiness? That does not even make any sense.

And that was the whole point of Michelle, she is supposed to be invisible like those people in HS you didn't pay attention to and never knew existed. So her just popping up makes total sense because she is there, you just don't notice her, which again, is the whole point

·
Registered
12,449 Posts

I agree but this is the route Marvel has decided to take unfortunately

·
Registered
2,061 Posts

The trailer looks pretty good even though I would've preferred if the Mysterio stuff happened in New York with Jameson endorsing him like in the comics but it is what it is. I just hope this movie actually good because Homecoming was a dud.

61 - 80 of 585 Posts