Wrestling Forum banner

541 - 560 of 585 Posts

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
Rothman doing to Sony what he did before he was fired Fox, burning superhero movies to the ground.
What is it with media companies hiring incompetent morons to run them. CNN, DC Comics, Sony...

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
This is why I never understood why were @Clique and others berating Disney. I mean, it's obvious both companies are greedy, but now and then the reports are going back and forth, putting the blame on one or another. I'd say both companies are trying to sell their version of the tale to the media. Both want to be the reasonable part that have been mistreated.

·
The Sundance Kid
18,392 Posts
Picking sides in disputes between big corporations is silly. You're not going to have all of the facts, and both sides will be spinning things to make themselves look good as much as possible. They're trying to make as good of a deal for themselves to make themselves as rich as possible, and they're not sharing any of it with you for your time and energy. :lol

·
Mamba Mentality
26,071 Posts
This is why I never understood why were @Clique and others berating Disney. I mean, it's obvious both companies are greedy, but now and then the reports are going back and forth, putting the blame on one or another. I'd say both companies are trying to sell their version of the tale to the media. Both want to be the reasonable part that have been mistreated.
You’re still missing part of the story where Disney wants to co-finance / co-own the rights to Sony’s property in future productions.

I berated Disney for being the greedy bastards they are. That hasn’t changed.

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,329 Posts
You’re still missing part of the story where Disney wants to co-finance / co-own the rights to Sony’s property in future productions.

I berated Disney for being the greedy bastards they are. That hasn’t changed.
I think people miss this part or they don't care, just as long as they have their M SEEE YEWW. Disney is asking for way too much and just shows that the Company wants to control the film market even more.

If Sony had some decently smart people in charge, they could tell Disney to go fuck themselves and make a billion+ on every Spiderman movie they made. Heck the Spiderverse could probably compete with the MCU, at least movie wise. Not in quantity of films but certainly in money made.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Even though this was all Disney’s fault, fans still have every right to be worried that Sony has the character rights back. This is the same studio that gave us some of the worst comic book movies ever like Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Venom.

Sony’s track record with the franchise has been hit or miss, whereas Disney’s track record with the franchise has been consistent. All of the MCU films Spider-Man has appeared in have been both critically acclaimed and financially successfully.

The only upside to this news is that we might get to see Spider-Man facing off against Venom on the big screen again. But even then, Sony might ruin it for a second time.

For better or worse, a Spider-Man vs. Venom movie starring Holland and Hardy would break records at the box office. I’m sure Sony wants to make this happen now that they can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I think people miss this part or they don't care, just as long as they have their M SEEE YEWW. Disney is asking for way too much and just shows that the Company wants to control the film market even more.

If Sony had some decently smart people in charge, they could tell Disney to go fuck themselves and make a billion+ on every Spiderman movie they made. Heck the Spiderverse could probably compete with the MCU, at least movie wise. Not in quantity of films but certainly in money made.
How is this? As a huge Marvel and Spider-man fan, I don't want Sony to release another film involving any Marvel character. Of course they can make a lot of money, but things like that pointless and disjointed Venom film, the Andrew Garfield films and that attempt at a Sinister Six movie, or the movie about Morbius show how terrible Sony Pictures is at managing these characters. I don't care about Disney, but every Marvel character should be part of the MCU under Marvel Studios. In fact I won't watch any film based on Marvel characters if they're not made by Marvel.

Also I think saying every Spider-man movie could make +1 billion dollar is wrong. Only one Spider-man movie has achieved that feat and, be real, it was thanks to Endgame. Saying Sony doesn't gain anything for its partnership with Disney is nonsense. Last Spider-man movie made by Sony earned 709 millions and met with a tepid reaction. People were tired and either a third Spider-man movie with Garfield or a new reboot made entirely by Sony would have made way less than what both Tom Holland films made.

From a business standpoint, the struggle between Disney and Sony is logical. And I kinda understand both parts. But I'm talking as a fan and all I can say is: every Marvel character must be a part of Marvel Studios. Anything else should be considered as a fanfilm or a fanfic. My interest in watching a Sony Spider-man movie is the same as reading a Dr.Strange comic made by, dunno, Coca Cola. Considering there exists a Marvel Cinematic Universe, there's literally no reason for a Sony live action Spider-man movie to be created or watched. Spider-verse is different because, as you know, animated films and series have their own continuities. But as far as live action is concerned, there's no Marvel real movies outside of Marvel Studios.

In the end I still hope they somehow fix this. If not, I'd like if Sony films are met with apathy and they flop. A Sony Spider-man movie must be considered the film equivalent of a fake cheap Chinese toy.

The only upside to this news is that we might get to see Spider-Man facing off against Venom on the big screen again. But even then, Sony might ruin it for a second time.

For better or worse, a Spider-Man vs. Venom movie starring Holland and Hardy would break records at the box office. I’m sure Sony wants to make this happen now that they can.
You know, a proper introduction of Venom would've been amazing. A Venom VS Spider-man movie in the MCU would've been nuts. But they already botched the possibility of introducing Venom the right way. One of the most iconic Marvel rivalries have already been ruined by Sony: If Eddie Brock/Venom origin has NOTHING to do with Peter Parker/Spider-man, where's the weight of that encounter? I have no reason to want to watch a Sony's Spider-man VS Venom film. There's no possibility Sony can cross Tom Hardy's Venom and Holland's Spider-man without it being terribly half-assed in comparison with the original comic book story.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts

LOL no they couldn't.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My pov as a fan who only know about mcu and not comics this spiderman is dead, and most of the people I know are the same as me, and I’m sure there are millions like me, venom did those millions because they went to see the movie for the rumor that holland was there in the post credit and venom was going to enter the mcu, when it wasn’t show anything most of my friends were pissed that they went and didn’t see nothing and the movie sucked. I didn’t even bother to se the movie then.

·
14,329 Posts
LOL no they couldn't.
Unless Disney is pumping out 6+ movies a year, yeah they could. :shrug

Shit Spiderman movies make 700m easy, good ones make 1b+. All Sony would need is a few good Spiderverse movies.

Spiderman, Venom, Miles Morales are three that could easily make money. It would take a while to build but it could be done.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts

Shit Spiderman movies make 700m easy, good ones make 1b+. All Sony would need is a few good Spiderverse movies.
Literally the only one that has made 1b+ is the one who followed the events of one of the biggest movies in history that is, surprise, a MCU film. And as grecefar said, many casual viewers went to watch Venom thinking he was going to be introduced into the MCU too.

·
You're Pretty Good
9,816 Posts
If people seriously think Venom did those numbers because of an unsubstantiated rumour that Holland may make a cameo appearance then they're out of your fucking minds.

A Venom-Spiderman will probably happen and if it doesn't break 1bn it will get very close.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
If people seriously think Venom did those numbers because of an unsubstantiated rumour that Holland may make a cameo appearance then they're out of your fucking minds.

A Venom-Spiderman will probably happen and if it doesn't break 1bn it will get very close.
And if people seriously think Homecoming and Far From Home doing the box office they did had nothing to do with them being a part of the MCU, they're full of shit. From 709 to 880 and then 1.1 when both Andrew Garfield film did less money than the previous one.

Yeah, a lot of people wanted to see a film about Venom, myself included. But they totally butchered the character. I'm sure they are still really profitable, of course, but at this point a Sony film about Marvel character is just something that shouldn't exist. Sony and Fox trying to create Marvel universes stopped making any sense in 2012. When The Avengers was released, it was obvious every Marvel character should be under the only and one legitimate Marvel Cinematic Universe. Logan and Deadpool are worthy films but other than that, clusterfucks like Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, Venom and the Garfield movies have proven the point: real action Marvel movies outside Marvel Studios mustn't exist. These characters must be integrated in a shared universe with a creative lead, just like they are in the original comics.

As I said before, I don't care about Disney and Sony. But the MCU and Spider-man shouldn't be the victims of whatever happen between them. Further Spider-man movies won't provide a sole reason to be invested-and I wouldn't be able to understand a singular human being being excited about a butchered version of Venom encountering a butchered version of Spider-man with 0 creative build up just for the "Were zure that will do a billion dularz lelele", while the MCU has lost a character they had built a lot. Sony Pictures movies' existence shouldn't be allowed. I'm talking merely as a lifetime fan of Spider-man comic books, but even so.

·
14,329 Posts
Literally the only one that has made 1b+ is the one who followed the events of one of the biggest movies in history that is, surprise, a MCU film. And as grecefar said, many casual viewers went to watch Venom thinking he was going to be introduced into the MCU too.
DC movies make 700m+ and they're mostly shit, so no, it's not just because M SEEEEE YEWWWWW. Sure it helps but Spiderman is the draw, he's always been. He's one of the top characters in comics. It will always be that way. People keep underrating at how popular Spiderman is. :laugh:

·
You're Pretty Good
9,816 Posts
And if people seriously think Homecoming and Far From Home doing the box office they did had nothing to do with them being a part of the MCU, they're full of shit.
Seriously - Who the fuck said this?

Also Venom really wasn't that bad - It was okay for what it was. The MCU have definitely produced worse.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Seriously - Who the fuck said this?

Also Venom really wasn't that bad - It was okay for what it was. The MCU have definitely produced worse.
You may like that movie more than some MCU films, and that's fine, since enjoyment is subjective etc. But that can't erase the incontrovertible fact that that film totally destroyed the origin of Eddie Brock and Venom and has made absolutely worthless any potential Spider-man/Venom 'crossover'. Totally detached from Peter Parker/Spider-man, Eddie Brock/Venom lost all their sense. It's like rewriting the story so Kane debuts in a world where Undertaker doesn't exist. Even worse, probably.

Also, you said it yourself: it was okay for what it was. That's it, a atempt at getting money from the popularity of one of the most iconic Marvel anti-heroes without any respect or reverence for the spirit of the original comic books. The same would be done if now Sony Pictures decide to make a Spider-man VS Venom movie. It would immediately taint that legendary rivalry that involve deep personal hatred and resentment that are an integral part of Venom's origin itself and turn it into some Batman V Superman level bullshit. I see two valid options for Venom: having him done by someone who loves the comics- Kevin Feige- or not having him at all. And do you know why do I think like that? Because Venom is one of my favourite characters ever.

·
Premium Member
38,759 Posts

Spiderman, Venom, Miles Morales are three that could easily make money. It would take a while to build but it could be done.
No non MCU spiderman movie ever made close to 1B. And Sony cant make a good live action spiderman movie anymore, not since 2004.

a sony movie will never make more money or compete wiht hte MCU movies.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
No non MCU spiderman movie ever made close to 1B. And Sony cant make a good live action spiderman movie anymore, not since 2004.

a sony movie will never make more money or compete wiht hte MCU movies.
Spider-Man 3 almost made $900 Million. Doesn't that count? If Sony made a Spider-Man movie that was REALLY GOOD then they would have a chance at making a Billion Dollar Spider-Man movie. Spider-Man 4 for example would make a killing at the Box Office especially if the movie turned out to be great.

·
You might very well think that; I couldn't possibl
5,214 Posts
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/spiderman-mcu-sony-pictures-chief-1203324907/

Fans holding out hope that Spider-Man might be returning to the Marvel Cinematic Universe will be disappointed to hear that “for the moment the door is closed,” according to Sony Pictures chairman and CEO Tony Vinciquerra.

Speaking at Variety‘s Entertainment & Technology summit, Vinciquerra cryptically added that “it’s a long life,” implying that perhaps in the distant future the web-slinging hero might swing his way back to the Disney-owned company.

Vinciquerra insisted that there is “no ill will” between Sony and Marvel, after the two failed to reach on agreement on financing terms for upcoming Spider-Man movies, effectively removing Tom Holland’s Spider-Man from the Marvel fold in terms of both future standalone and team-up features. However, he also did acknowledge the fan backlash to the news, saying that it has been “an interesting couple of weeks” for the studio.

Vinciquerra pointed to Marvel boss Kevin Feige being “stretched incredibly thin” with new additions coming to the MCU as one of the reasons behind the breakdown in talks.

“We had a great run with (Feige) on Spider-Man movies,” the Sony chief said. “We tried to see if there’s a way to work it out….the Marvel people are terrific people, we have great respect for them, but on the other hand we have some pretty terrific people of our own. Kevin didn’t do all the work.”

541 - 560 of 585 Posts