Wrestling Forum banner

221 - 240 of 585 Posts

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,880 Posts
Re: Spider-Man: Far From Home (July 5, 2019)

My problem isn't with Michelle Jones. My problem is that she is not Mary Jane Watson and they are calling her MJ.
It's just shorthand to let the audience know she's gonna be important to Peter. :shrug

i wonder what Peter sees in this version of mary jane.
He like 'em black!

·
Registered
10,174 Posts

Literally only watching this movie for Jake Gyllenhaal!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts

I thought the trailer was pretty good. I'm keeping my expectations really low for three reasons.

1. Homecoming

2. MCU does not have a good track record when it comes to second movies.

3. I CAN"T STAND THE SUPPORTING CHARACTERS! Especially Michelle and Flash!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts

Calling it now. Loki escaping with the space stone had something to do with opening up the multiverse.
Didn't they say in Endgame that they couldn't change the past? I don't think Loki getting the space stone means anything considering the fact that they traveled back to the 70's to get it.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts

It's just shorthand to let the audience know she's gonna be important to Peter. :shrug
It's not shorthand to let the audience know she's gonna be important to Peter. Most likely it will end up being a bullshit re-imagining of the character. If they want to create a new character for him to be involved with then bring in Mary Jane later, that's perfectly fine. Calling Michelle Jones "MJ" when she is decidedly not Mary Jane in any way shape form or fashion is just retarded and it fucks them for future films if/when they decide they want to bring in the real MJ.

Didn't they say in Endgame that they couldn't change the past? I don't think Loki getting the space stone means anything considering the fact that they traveled back to the 70's to get it.
Not returning the stones to the timeline creates a new timeline. That's how the Ancient One explained it to Banner. Part of how he convinced her to give him the time stone was promising to return it to the point it was taken from once he was done with it. Cap may have returned the space stone to where he got it in the 70s but Loki still disappeared with it in 2012. That created a different timeline and I believe has something to do with whatever is going on with the multiverse.

Whether or not I'm right about it being connected to the multiverse, I am absolutely positive Loki bailing with the space stone will come into play somehow in future movies. That's way too big of a plot point to ignore. Maybe not this movie but definitely at some point in the future.

·
The Mouth of Madness!
10,880 Posts

It's not shorthand to let the audience know she's gonna be important to Peter. Most likely it will end up being a bullshit re-imagining of the character. If they want to create a new character for him to be involved with then bring in Mary Jane later, that's perfectly fine. Calling Michelle Jones "MJ" when she is decidedly not Mary Jane in any way shape form or fashion is just retarded and it fucks them for future films if/when they decide they want to bring in the real MJ.
How is it bullshit? They've already said it's not Watson, so where's this "intense dislike" coming from? Like I said, it's just shorthand for the audience. It's like everyone in a scene wearing muted colors but the love interest is wearing a bright red dress. Simple as. "MJ? Oh, Peter's girlfriend."

"If" being the word. They've already given us this new character, it's over and done unless she falls off a bridge or clock tower. They're just initials. Push past it. If two letters have you this "titled" you have a lot of issues to work through.

·
Team AEW
2,982 Posts

Trailer was great, the only thing I didn't like... idk, should we do spoilers here? It's in the trailer:

MJ figuring out Peter is Spider-Man. I didn't like that the showed it. Why ruin the surprise? Unless it's a fakeout, which would make me mad now since I saw this thinking it's real.

·
Registered
12,000 Posts

I'm sorry, but in a world where the last superhero movie makes over 2 billion in less than 2 weeks, you expect enough people to believe Mysterio is a good guy? I'm pretty sure geek culture knows Mysterio and will help clue in the uninformed before this movie even comes out.

In short, I don't like the story line they are going for. I'm all for a 'Mysterio wants to be seen as a hero to one-up Spider-man', but what they are doing (putting him with Fury) is just trying to trick the audience for when it's revealed he's the big bad of the movie and the monsters were made up from him.

·
Registered
12,872 Posts

Solid trailer, nothing special but gets the job done.

I'm not sure how I feel about randomly replacing Peter's crush in the first one with the dry humor comic relief character. It's nitpicky but I feel like with the crush character being dealt with in the first film it's not needed in this one. I guess that's high schooled in a nutshell though one crush door closes and another opens.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts

Yes, I meant the explanation for it. Are they just going to say the snap caused it, or is there going to be more. Also, this could be their way of bringing mutants into the MCU.
My idea i posted on another forum is that all the stones being used together a number of times in a relatively short period(original snap,thanos destroying them,unsnapping people,tony's snap) messed up the universe itself,so that's how all this stuff can happen.

·
Team AEW
2,982 Posts

A lot of people seem to complain about MJ, I don't really see the issue with it. Zendaya is fine tbh. Maybe original MJ wouldn't work these days, like can you possibly imagine a model girl get attracted to the geek like Peter in 2019? :lol no way. I know it's unpopular opinion, but I think Peter and Michele fit together pretty well.

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts

How is it bullshit? They've already said it's not Watson, so where's this "intense dislike" coming from? Like I said, it's just shorthand for the audience. It's like everyone in a scene wearing muted colors but the love interest is wearing a bright red dress. Simple as. "MJ? Oh, Peter's girlfriend."

"If" being the word. They've already given us this new character, it's over and done unless she falls off a bridge or clock tower. They're just initials. Push past it. If two letters have you this "titled" you have a lot of issues to work through.
How is it bullshit? What is so difficult to understand about what I am saying?

Okay, let's say you're right and calling her MJ is shorthand for the audience. Do you really think people are so retarded that they can't figure it out on their own? Hey these two wild and wacky kids are going to have feelings for each other but the audience is too stupid to realize that, so we're going to call her MJ, which coincidentally are the initials of the true love of his life, yet we're going to use them for this other character Michelle Jones, because our audience is a bunch of brain dead drooling morons who will never know they like each other if we don't, even though our audience would have to be well informed enough to know who the initials MJ reference to even understand the importance of them. :rolleyes:

It's a dumb excuse to try to cover for a dumb creative decision and you know it.

A lot of people seem to complain about MJ, I don't really see the issue with it. Zendaya is fine tbh. Maybe original MJ wouldn't work these days, like can you possibly imagine a model girl get attracted to the geek like Peter in 2019? :lol no way. I know it's unpopular opinion, but I think Peter and Michele fit together pretty well.
Like I said from the start, my problem is naming the character Michelle Jones and calling her MJ. I thought Homecoming was a very good movie and Zendaya did not bother me in the slightest. The two of them having a relationship does not bother me either. Peter is still in high school. He still has plenty of time to have flings and grow up before meeting the hot model Mary Jane. The problem with calling this new character MJ is if/when the real Mary Jane shows up, now you're going to have 2 MJs.

I would point out that a hot model being attracted to a super smart nerdy guy would not really be all that weird in this day and age. Maybe in high school but not once they are adults.

·
Magic, sparkles and Strap-ons!
14,329 Posts

My problem isn't with Michelle Jones. My problem is that she is not Mary Jane Watson and they are calling her MJ.
Pretty sure she's supposed to be the MJ and they only said she's not because people got pissed off. :shrug

He like 'em black!
She's black? Maybe if we compare her to Shaun King.. Never knew, then again the milk man has many children. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,115 Posts

Pretty sure she's supposed to be the MJ and they only said she's not because people got pissed off. :shrug
I think they wanted to create a new character who is not Mary Jane to be Peter's love interest but decided to get cutesy about it and name her Michelle Jones and call her MJ as some kind of bizarre nod to the real Mary Jane who they never intended on having in this universe but the entire thing backfired.

Like I said, I wouldn't have complained about it at all had they given her a different name and not called her MJ. Either give us the real thing or give us nothing at all. Don't give us a completely different character and call her MJ. It's insulting.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts

Looking forward to this movie and in terms of the MJ conversation I hate it but for another reason and cause it's a disservice to BOTH characters to do this due to the comparisons that are made.

It makes it impossible for the character in this universe to be treated as their own character cause of that connection and the comparisons that come with it (hence why it's a disservice to them)

And it's also the type of thing that's bound to alienate the more "purists" who like the original character. The MJ thing just wasn't needed and they should have had the new character stand on their own two feet (you can keep the Michelle Jones name cause that's fine and can be a very slight nod but they were too on the nose about it by using the initials)

·
Lurking. Always lurking.
4,725 Posts

Just saw a cast interview of Spiderman on Kimmel. The guy that plays Ned... instant dislike. Like, you're getting interviewed, nobody wants to see you chew gum in the background with your mouth open. Just... no. No.

221 - 240 of 585 Posts