Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Bill Bhatti of The Dirty Sheets podcast, another reason for AJ Styles capturing the United States Championship at Madison Square Garden was because WWE does not want two non-Americans, who were their top champions, playing up the same anti-American gimmick (Jinder Mahal & Kevin Owens).
There is also speculation that WWE did it because they felt to have another AJ Styles big moment for his DVD that will be released next year.

·
The EST of NXT
The LegitEST BOSS
35,477 Posts
I'll wait for an actual known, credible source. That doesn't excuse them wasting that moment on a house show instead of PPV. I don't care if it is MSG. The money moment comes from big title changes when everyone sees it.

·
Premium Member
5,302 Posts
I actually liked that they did it at a house show because the feud was really middling, and dissapointing before. It felt like a run of the mill feud with no real hatred. At least the title change at a house show makes it more interesting.

Reactions: Ace

·
Actively avoiding Testicular Torsion
4,025 Posts
I don't think the fans really care if there are two anti-American heels, its just how WWE decides to book them. I don't mind them putting the title on Styles either.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
21,164 Posts
They literally have three "foreign heel" gimmicks going on right now on Smackdown, it's quite amazing.

You have Mahal as the Canadian born champion who is spitting Indian lyrics, Owens who was the Canadian born US Champion yet doing nothing to disrespect the belt and now you have Rusev back as the Bulgarian brute defending his countries flag against everyones favourite US hero in John Cena.

Can we just get some strongly booked guys who are either heels for being dirty or faces because the fans like them!?

·
Administrator
59,280 Posts
I originally closed this thread. Instead I changed the thread title to speculation because this guy isn't known enough to be considered a news source.

·
Asuka
^Take this off
96,574 Posts
I'll wait for an actual known, credible source. That doesn't excuse them wasting that moment on a house show instead of PPV. I don't care if it is MSG. The money moment comes from big title changes when everyone sees it.
There's no money in a US title match. Sometimes it's good to just have a title change out of nowhere, it keeps people alert.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts