Wrestling Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Banned
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Al Costello, founder of The Fabulous Kangaroos tag team, came up with the marketing idea of making cardboard boomerangs and throwing them into the crowd during the introductions before matches.

The first cardboard boomerangs were tossed into the crowds in Canada and the U.S. back in the late 1950s by the original 'Roos - Al Costello and Roy Heffernan who were together from 1957-1967.

After Heffernan left the team in 1967 the British grappler Tinker Todd changed his name to Ray St. Clair and morphed himself into an Australian. This version of The Fabulous Kangaroos was shortlived and lasted only about 6 months. St. Clair was replaced with American Don Kent who teamed with Costello from 1967-1974.

I do not know if the trademark cardboard boomerang was changed to include St. Clair along with Costello. However, after Kent joined the team a new cardboard boomerang was tossed into the crowds with the pictures and names of Costello and Kent on them.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

A third version of Costello's invention appeared after George "Cry Baby" Cannon joined the third incarnation of the 'Roos as their manager from 1970-1973. Cannon's face and name were superimposed over the kangaroo in the center of the cardboard boomerang.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

One year the latest version of the cardboard boomerangs was sent out by Costello as "Christmas/Season's Greetings Cards." Below is the reverse side of the one pictured above.

It was obtained from a friend of Roy Shire's son and is addressed to Roy Shire at his ranch. I don't know if Al ever did this with any of the other versions of the cardboard boomerangs. My guess would be no, since these were used until the 1970s strictly during matches to be tossed to the fans. However, don't take that as gospel.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

AL COSTELLO (R)& ROY HEFFERNAN
[/URL][/IMG]

AL COSTELLO & DON KENT holding paper and real boomerangs!

(L-R) ROY HEFFERNAN, WILD RED BERRY, AL COSTELLO of the original'Roos

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.