Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
''Love him or hate him, John Cena does his job well because he gets a reaction out of everyone''.

How many times have you seen this written in these forums? I really don't understand this particular sentence, because it makes no fucking sense to me. Yes, he gets huge pops off of little kids and women, but most grown men boo the living shit out of him. And some of you take this as if they are doing it for FUN, because they actually LOVE TO HATE John Cena and boo him because it's their ''function''.

They don't love to hate John Cena. They're just tired of him, they boo him out of dislike. It shouldn't even be necessary to be writing this, but how the hell you get to the conclusion that people boo him because he does his job well is beyond me. He's STALE, he's BORING, he's been shoved down people's throats for 6 years and the only reason you can come up with for the older fans booing him is that it's actually part of the show?

Enlighten me, please, because I honestly don't get it.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Everything you said is true. It's not really "cool" to hate Cena anymore, and I don't really hate Cena, the guy. Since I don't know him, I couldn't care less about him. I'm just sick of his character, and he makes me skip every part of the show he's in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've never thought that. The way I see it:

Yes he's being booed, yes it's because people are tired of him. But the reason for the boos doesn't really matter as long as they're happening. I think Orton has said himself that John doesn't care what type of reaction he gets, as long as he's getting one. I'd much rather come out to a crowd of boos than a crowd of silence.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
Many of the people who boo Cena have been booing him since 2005-2006. I find it hard to believe that all the time it was cause he was boring or stale, it seems like a diff reason each year, regardless what those people say.

But W/E the reason is, he's doing his job because people actually care(or dislike) him enough to actually give a reaction. Look at many other superstars in WWE that people on this forum wish they were released. Fans dont boo those superstars because they just don't care.

Cena is basically like a Lebron James or something, the fans he has really love him,but the people who don't like him aren't afraid to speak their mind and let him(and everyone else) know that.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've never thought that. The way I see it:

Yes he's being booed, yes it's because people are tired of him. But the reason for the boos doesn't really matter as long as they're happening. I think Orton has said himself that John doesn't care what type of reaction he gets, as long as he's getting one. I'd much rather come out to a crowd of boos than a crowd of silence.
But if the people ARE tired of him, and they clearly vocalize it by booing him, then the only logical thing to do would be to AT LEAST tweak his character a bit so maybe it would appeal to more people, but since the WWE and Cena only care about making money off of kids and their parents, they obviously try to ignore the fact that right now at least half the crowds everywhere are booing the shit out of Cena every time he shows up.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many of the people who boo Cena have been booing him since 2005-2006. I find it hard to believe that all the time it was cause he was boring or stale, it seems like a diff reason each year, regardless what those people say.

But W/E the reason is, he's doing his job because people actually care(or dislike) him enough to actually give a reaction. Look at many other superstars in WWE that people on this forum wish they were released. Fans dont boo those superstars because they just don't care.

Cena is basically like a Lebron James or something, the fans he has really love him,but the people who don't like him aren't afraid to speak their mind and let him(and everyone else) know that.
See, this is exactly what I meant. Are they supposed to keep quiet for the entire thirty minutes of the show he occupies? No, they boo him because they're sick of him, and they clearly show that. If they are tired of him, they don't pay a ticket to watch him, they pay the ticket for the rest of the show, since fortunately, he's not occupying it the entire time.

·
Registered
18,833 Posts
^But it's not just Cena that happens to. If ANYONE in WWE is on screen for too long, fans will start getting tired of them.

Though Cena is barely even on TV. He might be in 2-3 promos a month and a match every other week on Raw. The main reason I think that people don't like him now is just how he's booked. If he lost matches fairly and didn't save the day every other week on Raw, people wouldn't be getting as sick of him.

But those same people who are getting sick of him, wouldn't cheer him if they weren't sick of him. So I think he'd rather they boo him for getting sick and tired of him,over not giving a reaction when he's not making them sick and tired of him.

·
Banned
1,266 Posts
''Love him or hate him, John Cena does his job well because he gets a reaction out of everyone''.

How many times have you seen this written in these forums? I really don't understand this particular sentence, because it makes no fucking sense to me. Yes, he gets huge pops off of little kids and women, but most grown men boo the living shit out of him. And some of you take this as if they are doing it for FUN, because they actually LOVE TO HATE John Cena and boo him because it's their ''function''.

They don't love to hate John Cena. They're just tired of him, they boo him out of dislike. It shouldn't even be necessary to be writing this, but how the hell you get to the conclusion that people boo him because he does his job well is beyond me. He's STALE, he's BORING, he's been shoved down people's throats for 6 years and the only reason you can come up with for the older fans booing him is that it's actually part of the show?

Enlighten me, please, because I honestly don't get it.
It's irrelevant why you personally think they boo him. The worst reacion is no reaction. Cena gets that from almost nobody.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^But it's not just Cena that happens to. If ANYONE in WWE is on screen for too long, fans will start getting tired of them.

Though Cena is barely even on TV. He might be in 2-3 promos a month and a match every other week on Raw. The main reason I think that people don't like him now is just how he's booked. If he lost matches fairly and didn't save the day every other week on Raw, people wouldn't be getting as sick of him.

But those same people who are getting sick of him, wouldn't cheer him if they weren't sick of him. So I think he'd rather they boo him for getting sick and tired of him,over not giving a reaction when he's not making them sick and tired of him.
I'm not saying it's BECAUSE it's Cena, but it is happening to him because of the prolonged overexposure he's had. It's practically ALWAYS been about Cena for the past 6 years, of course people are tired of him. Obviously the same would be true for most other peple, but he's the one who's always been in the spotlight recently, so. And yes, the booking is very much part of the problem, I agree.

And yeah, maybe a bad reaction would be better than no reaction, but it's still far from a GOOD reaction when people boo the shit out of you when you're supposed to be the face of the company. My problem is exactly that, they don't CARE about that since they're making so much money out of kids and their parents.

·
Fairy Hunter
1,782 Posts
Actually, Cena does get a reaction out of everyone. The kids, women and others who cheer for him is a REACTION. The people who can't the sight of him and boo him every time he shows up (myself included) is a REACTION. If getting a reaction out of everyone is doing your job well, then Cena's definitely been doing his job well since we all react to whenever he shows up, says something on the mic and/or does something in the ring. When it comes to the reason, it doesn't matter what reaction Cena gets as long as he receives one; if certain people like him, he does his job to ensure they continue liking him; if certain people dislike him, he does his job to ensure they continue disliking him.

·
Providing For My Family
6,868 Posts
The point is the face of the company is suppose to grab peoples attention, and that's certainly what he does everytime he comes down to the ring.

Sure he's stale, repetitive, annoying, boring, overused. But he gets talked about a hell of alot on these forums and gets big reactions. That's what a face of a company should do.

·
Employee Of The Month At Dale's Dead Bug
4,733 Posts
The main thing that every superstar wants is a reaction from the crowd. Getting no reaction is considered bad not being the top face and being booed out the building. But I agree with you about his supporters or fans thinking that people boo him for fun. Booing Cena for fun happened in 2005 and 2006 but now people boo him because they are tired of him.

·
Banned
1,824 Posts
Any reaction is a good reaction

Better than being Ezekiel Jackson coming out to canned cheers or otherwise silence.

The term X-Pac Heat is idiotic

·
Registered
609 Posts
They need to up the ante on their chants if they want it to be taken seriously. Cena Sucks isn't exactly Die Rocky Die. Which one resulted in change?

·
Registered
5,247 Posts
Fact is though is that kids love him, he's been designed purely to make kids love him and get there parents to empty there wallets for him and he does that and looks like it's not going to change any time soon. I don't like it anymore then you do, i don't think anybody around our age-group does but think of how much the average 8 year-old spends on WWE compared to how much you do? I can't speak for everybody else but i haven't spent a penny on the WWE in about 3 years, and to be totally honest i probably wouldn't no matter how good the product was. Sure, you'll see adults with Punk or Miz shirts on, but would you ever see a self-respecting adult where CM Punk wrist-bands & a CM Punk hat to go with the shirt? Do adults buy the action-figures and posters and all that other crap? Would an adult buy a shitty CM Punk movie because CM Punk is on the cover? There's generally more kids at the house-shows then there is adults and most adults watch PPV's online or just don't bother with anything apart from the big ones whilst kids will just get Dad to buy all the PPV's. People can cry about how he's driving adult fans away from the product but the fact is is that the facts show that the period between '02-'05 where John Cena wasn't the face of the company drove a lot more people away then it has since John Cena took over as the main guy.

It's not going to change until they need it to change & can make it change. As Christian once put it so perfectly "The key is to get to the kids, because they're really stupid". There is 2 ways the WWE can go, they can direct it mainly towards kids or they can direct it mainly towards us, and with the way the world is today it's a much safer option to go for the kids. Hopefully it won't be like that forever thoug

·
The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla
5,058 Posts
They boo Cena because they are tired of him. Simple as that. Nothing is being done because it is the same reaction. If the crowd did something different than just the normal booing then maybe they will do something about the 'Superman' Cena character.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts