Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really? Really? REALLY?

Haha, Miz is fun. Anyway:

I wanted to talk (or type) today about WWE's traditional ethic of low morals and values. I love WWE but it can't be denied; Pimp Faces, Bra n Panties matches, beer-drinking, fight before you think, flip off your boss...

I could go on. Now I believe that some of the fantasy aspect can defend this portrayal. Kids will no doubt take from it what they will and its up to the parents to filter the sh*t or just raise their child smart enough to know that Vince thinks 'Good TV' before he thinks 'Good wholesome values.'

But now we have CM Punk (originally a heel no-doubt partly because his Straight Edge wouldn't work as a face) who is becoming one of the top faces on WWE.

Now I've seen the way some people regard CM Punk on this website. People love him and as always with Cults of Personality, people began to admire and respect their lifestyles.

COULD STRAIGHT EDGE REALLY BECOME COOL?

Could we eventually have young fans growing up and, pre-teen or teenager, pledging themselves as Straight Edge? Because even though I'm not Straight Edge, I think that would be absolutely amazing to see some REAL posivitity come out of Pro Wrestling besides the ton of entertainment it brings us each week.

I had to keep this brief because I have to go out, but please respond with your thoughts. I'd really like to see what the older fans, in particular, think about this situation.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
If anything being straight edge is better when drinking beer/hitting your wife senseless, doing coke/pills and ruining your carer, shooting roids up your ass like no tomorrow and instead of being a good wrestler you see yourself as a body builder and of course last but not the least playing hangman with your entire family:).

·
Registered
546 Posts
if anything cena's character more portrays 'integrity' .. punk rarely mentions 'straight edge' on the air and casuals are likely to not make the connection.

I don't see any WWE storyline having a big impact on people's lives. Once a kid hits puberty and the testosterone starts flowing, popular culture's mores will take over. Right now that includes drinking and lots of it, along with low brow trashy movies like 'the change up' .. not my thing but to each their own. :) Nothing really immoral about drinking beer either, it's all in the head. Plenty of good people drink, and plenty of assholes do not.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
Well Punk's X's on his hands represent straight edge. SO it's always there even if not spoken about now.

His gimmick has changed though. Not a lot of talk of him being straight edge. But commentators mention it...but not so much now. Still he will remain straight edge and that should be widely known to people who have been following the product for at least a year or so.

I think if Punk's movement meant that less kids get involved in drinking beer and all that I'm up for it. but it really depends what country you are in and whats social status about these things in your area.

But if anything it just good that some people can have a decent role model. For those who want a straight edge that is. And want to remain that way not cracking from peer pressure.

·
The Dynasty
473 Posts
Straight Edge is new and refreshing and quite frankly! A better message then Cena has to offer. Hustle?! Jesus H. That's the best thing going for Punk. The straight edge crap. I'll keep drinking though, I'm not going to buy a CM Punk laws of life book any time soon.

·
Registered
22,514 Posts
I personally don't give two shits about role model, morals and all that crap but when a top guy is likable and gives a positive message, it's never a bad thing. It does help that much like Punk, I prefer Pepsi to alcohol.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I can understand people not following his message but I can't see how it's a bad thing in a world filled with roids, alcohol, drugs, pain killers ect. If anything it's about best thing to happen and the positive message he sends from WWE.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you've all pretty much summed up my opinion on the whole thing too.

Like I say, I smoke, I occasionally drink and if I was in hospital, I'd probably accept whatever drugs they're giving me. And I'd certainly say that it doesn't make you a better person to be Straight Edge.

But in saying all that - in a world where the media has a powerful influence on popular culture, it can't be a bad thing to give some of our kids a different role model/viewpoint/option. The thing is, it's the exposure that Straight Edge is getting on a mainstream level that I like.

I'm not saying, by any stretch of the imagination, that kids will definitely go Straight Edge if they see their hero doing it. What I'm saying is that it will at least show that there are other lifestyles out there to choose. Not just the ghetto-capitalist or promiscuous lifestyles that are portrayed in the media today.

Me personally, I've never seen anything like a Straight Edge character on TV entertainment before. Not unless they were blatantly portrayed as a nerd/annoying asshole/boring tool.

It is truly refreshing.

Thanks for your opinions guys, and for anyone else who has an opinion on this, for or against, please, I'd love for you express it. Just have some basis/sense behind what you say, for the love of god.

·
Banned
80 Posts
if edge came out of retirement and they made a tag team called the STRAIGHT EDGE
than straight edge would become cool

·
Registered
6,430 Posts
being straight edge myself i think that would be cool
teenagers drinking and smoking until they vomit (not cool)
and i pretty much say i can live without it there are tons of other products i can consume that are tons better
unfortunately lots of teens think you aint cool until you drink and smoke.... so basically yes would be damn cool

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
being straight edge myself i think that would be cool
teenagers drinking and smoking until they vomit (not cool)
and i pretty much say i can live without it there are tons of other products i can consume that are tons better
unfortunately lots of teens think you aint cool until you drink and smoke.... so basically yes would be damn cool
Ahh I was straight edge for about a year. Awesome feeling. You are not dependent on any substances to feel better.

Unfortunately that's how it is. If you are a teen you are gonna want to be part of a cool gang. And in those gangs to be cool you need to consume alcoholic beverages.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yeah I don't really buy into the straight edge gimmick with a guy covered with tatoos
Huh? I know loads of folk who are straight edge and have tattoos. I have loads of ink myself and although i'm not quite straight edge i see a big difference between getting inked and destroying your body with toxic chemicals. Loads of the hardcore scene were and still are straight edge. Although i dont really enjoy the music i can appreciate their message.

I definitely think it would be cool for less young kids to be peer pressured into trying drugs/alcohol and also getting more exposure for different subcultures is definitely a good thing. In the end though it comes down to the individual. Drugs and alcohol are readily available in our society and at some point everyone will come into contact with them, its the responsibility of the individual to decide what works for them. And also to use moderation and know their limits. In the end, to most people Straight Edge is just another label anyway.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
If it were up to me, this world would be alcohol-free. I would like to see what all the alcoholics and low-life people would do Saturday night.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
There's nothing wrong with not drinking or smoking (Triple H). Straight edge on the other hand is just some loser movement (CM Punk).

I'm not trying to offend any of you straight edgers. It's great that you don't drink or smoke just don't wrap your whole identity into it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts