Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are Wrestlers personalities and charisma actually getting worse these days, or is the time and potential to actually display said charisma just not available for a lot of them. People often talk about how, Daniel Bryan for example, has zero charisma and what not, but I feel like the chance to actually display some kind of charisma just isn't available to him enough.

It seems like several years ago and further before, Many wrestlers, even jobbers and lower-mid carders had at least some kind of character and some shred of personality compared many of the wrestlers today. But is that really the wrestlers fault or just the fact that they're being booked poorly. Even the lowest of the low had some kind of continuing storylines in the past (most of them lame, but it was something)

I guess where I am getting at is that it seems like too many wrestlers these days are just waving there way down to a match, wrestling for 2 minutes and going back to the locker room with no time to actually develop any sort of character. I feel like this just wasn't something regularly practiced in the past.

·
Banned
2,012 Posts
THE TIME OF THE SPORTS ENTERTAINER IS OVER

THE TIME OF THE ATHLETE IS NOW

·
Registered
127 Posts
A part of that is the fact is when a lot guys get a shot at promos they're force fed lines when they need to be in control of their own character and what they say and how they want to come off to the crowd. I'd say the problem is that while the character portion is suffering so is the lack of diversity from wrestler to wrestler character-wise.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I'd agree with what Steve Austin said about scripted promos. Some of these guys should be given the chance to do their own stuff. Give them main points to hit, not entire scripts. Maybe then we'll see some great mic work - maybe some guys are too focussed on remembering the script and can't express themselves as well.

IMO, Daniel Bryan has personality. Not a world beater when it comes down to that respect but he can cut decent promos and get the fans to care about him.

There were many horrible mic workers back in the day as well, but when it was good, it was beautiful. Jake the snake Roberts, Roddy Piper, Foley, Stone Cold and even the Macho Man sometimes. It's rare these days to find people working the mic with intensity (not just shouting each word) that sucks you straight into the promo and leave you hanging on every word.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Daniel Bryan may not be the most charismatic guy in the world but he does have some charisma

1 - 5 of 5 Posts