Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. CM Punk is indeed The Man
The fact that he came out to interrupt Johnny Ace and actually gave Cena his vote of confidence says as much. They didn't do that to get Punk more over as a face. There aren't any people who boo Punk when he comes out. He's pretty much a favorite across all demographics. They had Punk come out to boost Cena. Read that again. They had Punk come out to boost Cena. They want the smarky Punk marks to get behind Cena as well.

Cena is leaving soon as most of us know, and it's very important to the WWE that he be over as a mega-baby-face before he goes so that his eventual return is universally cheered. They gave all the smarks what they wanted, having him lose to The Rock, and that has seemingly satiated their desire to see Cena get his ass kicked.

Whatever happens at Over the Limit, they do not want any of us to confuse Cena as a tweener any longer. They played that game for a while, and they are looking to finish it up. They want him back as an obvious face for his new movie and for his return from injury.

2. Ziggler is going to be ok.
I have thought this for a while, but it hit me again during his match tonight against Kofi for some reason. Even before he won - and I thought when Kofi hit the SOS that it was over - I just had this feeling that Ziggler was going to be ok.

Which is to say that the guy is a part of the WWE's future plans. Swagger, on the other hand, is in some trouble. I don't know how much promise he has to ever get another world title reign.

But Ziggler is in great shape. They've been totally jobbing him out for a while to various wrestlers - mainly Brodus Clay - but that's ok. A while back he was given a mini-push into the WWE Title scene. He wasn't meant to win the title, of course; but notice they gave him the push, and not Swagger. He put on some freakin' high quality matches against Punk and was made to look quite legit. At the moment, the fact that he's not in the main title scene is not a reflection of the WWE's lack of faith in him; it's a reflection of them having too many other things going on. Between Punk, Sheamus, Jericho, Del Rio, Cena, Lesnar, and Bryan's current super-biggest-push-to-beat-all-pushes push, there's not much room for Ziggler.

But they're not squashing him to the undercard. And they're not de-pushing him. They're keeping him involved on television every week and, honestly, just waiting. His first World Title reign was not a real reign, as we all know. His next reign will be.

3. That match hurt Brodus Clay
It would have been better to squash Miz out. Instead they gave him a legitimate amount of offense and, half way through the match, the audience wanted him to win.

Usually Brodus gets a bigger pop when he wins, but I felt like his victory tonight was lacklustre because he actually looked weak. And I guess I just don't see the point in it.

And I'm not really a Brodus fan. I love the funk music and I can't help but smile when it comes on, but I really don't understand why they couldn't have at least picked a wrestler who had a sense of rhythm. Honestly, sometimes Brodus doesn't even move with the right timing. Regardless, having The Miz get in that much offense against a guy with a gimmick that is really over right now doesn't make much sense to me. We'll see where they go with it, though (if anywhere).

4. Paul Heyman is awesome.
Some people are naturals on the mic. They aren't just quality on the mic. When they're on the mic, you forget that they're on the mic. You actually get lost in what they're saying. CM Punk's shoot last July was like that (his mic work more recently has been way too contrived, but that's more a writing issue than an acting issue). William Regal is another one of those wrestlers who you get lost while listening to. He's a natural. Attitude Era WWE was marked by many wrestlers like that. Heyman is like that. Hopefully we see more of him.

4. WWE doing things right? Somehow, yes.
That tag match between Jericho/Del Rio and Orton/Sheamus was a great match, and it ended as I don't think anyone would have expected it to.

This has been a common theme of WWE recently. They have surprised us. But it's been more than just one main storyline, they've done a great job recently of making us care about the non-main event scene. People care about the IC Title because Big Show is in it. Rhodes winning the belt was utterly out of left field. You now have Orton and Jericho spicing up the WHC scene, and even though one is tempted to believe that super-Sheamus will pull through despite the odds at Over the Limit, given what the WWE has done recently, who is to say Orton won't randomly come out on top?

The US Title is doing at least better than usual with Santino. And they are trying to get things going in the Women's and Tag Team Divisions. On that, I have some thoughts.

The emergence of Layla is great, but what the Women's division really needs is what every other division has: men. Where's Layla's boyfriend? Where's the stable influence? Why can't Rosa Mendes wrestle for the Women's Title (not that Epico and Primo are the best suited guys to get the Women's Division over, but you get my point). What the WWE sorely lacks is any sense of connectivity, or roundedness. Doing really big storylines that involve many different aspects of the roster is dangerous, of course, because you put all your eggs in one basket (The Invasion, anyone?), but you don't have to do anything quite as ambitious as that to get a similar effect. You just need to feel like the Women's Division is a part of something bigger, rather than view it as an opportunity for the live audience to use the restroom.

The tag division needs what tag divisions used to have: triple threat tag matches. I really do believe it's as simple as that. Over the Limit should be Kofi/Truth vs. Epico/Primo vs. Ziggler/Swagger. It's not that difficult. Give them all air time each week, like you did tonight, and suddenly the tag scene is interesting. Six way tag matches are pretty much spot-fests, so let the chairs and ladders fly, let some interesting bumps take place, let Ziggler sell the fuck out of something, and there ya go: everyone remembers the tag match that took place.

Giving the titles to R-Truth and Kofi was an important start because they have reinvigorated the division all by themselves, but what it needs most now is MORE TEAMS.

5. Random thought on Daniel Bryan
I still believe in my heart of hearts that AJ is going to show up at one of these Bryan title matches somewhere down the line and low blow the champ. Then Bryan pins and the two share a passionate kiss, revealing that they were in it together all along.

I don't even know that this would make a lot of sense, but I just think it would be epic as hell. It'd be better if AJ somehow won the Women's Title first. Then people would care about the Women's Division. See what I did there?

Anyways, thoughts?

·
Registered
928 Posts
Some reflections on your reflections

1. Punk can be a top guy but maybe not the man
Now this has nothing to do with how CM Punk preforms. I think he is ligitamently the best wrestler in the world or at the very least in the top 5. However the thing that will hold Punk back is that he is not an Ambassador the same way that Cena, The Rock and Hogan were. Now I do not know CM Punk but from stories I have heard about him is that he is not the nicest guy or the one you turn to to go on talk shows to pump up your company. Now maybe I'm wrong and in a few years he'll be a guest on talk shows, but from what have heard that is not the case.

2. Ziggler is going to be a star
I'm right there with you on this and if I was going to put together a list of guys that I expect to be WWE champ by 2014 he would be on it.

3. Brodus Clay
I left the room to get something from the kitchen after Brodus finished his entrance so I have no idea how this went other then the Miz lost.

5. The WWE is chaning the standard
The people behind the WWE are not stupid as shocking as that is to a lot of armchair bookers in the world but the do know thier stuff. What I feel we are witnessing is the change in the model the WWE uses. They do this every ten years or so after the current model grows stale. Then went from the standard teritoral style to cartoony to the more adult street fight style to realism and athleticts to the kiddy stuff to now what they seem to be heading to which if I had to guess would be a down to earth scaled back style with guys who have perfected their craft outside the mainstream and who are younger.

I know a lot of people would love to see change overnight but that can't happen for a number of reasons but rest assured things will change for better or worse. I like to think that things will get better.

6. With Dainel Bryan
I really can't predict how this one will end up. Either AJ will screw Bryan over as payback or she'll take out his opponent but do so in a way that scares even Bryan. We will see.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
1. Punk's character has become fucked and him kissing up to Cena shows just that.
2. I slightly disagree. I don't think Ziggler is getting depushed, but it feels like the WWE views him as a jobber to the stars and nothing else. It's his fault for being such a good bumper and doing crazy bumps for stupid shit.
3. The Brodus match should have been a squash.
4. The IC title feud has been fine, but Cody should have won at WM. The US title means nothing, but it's good on Santino. Layla was been good so far. I'm glad to see her back. I guess they're trying with the tag division.
5. I thought they would do something with AJ and Bryan on Raw tonight. I don't no what happened. Maybe he isn't moving to Raw after all and they're going to continue it on SM.

·
Banned
1,787 Posts
1. Punk's character has become fucked and him kissing up to Cena shows just that.
2. I slightly disagree. I don't think Ziggler is getting depushed, but it feels like the WWE views him as a jobber to the stars and nothing else. It's his fault for being such a good bumper and doing crazy bumps for stupid shit.
3. The Brodus match should have been a squash.
4. The IC title feud has been fine, but Cody should have won at WM. The US title means nothing, but it's good on Santino. Layla was been good so far. I'm glad to see her back. I guess they're trying with the tag division.
5. I thought they would do something with AJ and Bryan on Raw tonight. I don't no what happened. Maybe he isn't moving to Raw after all and they're going to continue it on SM.
Yes much more real.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you deserve some rep, and I should like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Well thank you.

Some reflections on your reflections

5. The WWE is chaning the standard
The people behind the WWE are not stupid as shocking as that is to a lot of armchair bookers in the world but the do know thier stuff.
Agreed.

This is no doubt also true. Though your statement and mine are not mutually exclusive.

We'll disagree then. Ziggler will get the push that's coming to him eventually, barring arbitrary backstage issues or injury.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
liberty_JAC;11422790 [B said:
5. Random thought on Daniel Bryan[/B]
I still believe in my heart of hearts that AJ is going to show up at one of these Bryan title matches somewhere down the line and low blow the champ. Then Bryan pins and the two share a passionate kiss, revealing that they were in it together all along.
For all that is good and decent please not this. I don't care if they continue the AJ/DB story, but I really don't want it to be a "had this planned since the beginning" angle. It wouldn't surprise anyone, firstly. And secondly, DB's victory (if there is to be one) should not happen dirty like that--let him win clean. I just think that storyline-wise, it's just a little too implausible to believe that all the interaction between the two has been set-up to have AJ interfere and get DB the title. If AJ does in fact interfere and DB does in fact win the title, let it be for a reason other than "that was our plan."

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
1. After noticing they work house shows as a team lately and Punk doing his B'Day speech, i've been dreading the Punk/Cena fwends on-air segment. Painful to sit through, but it meant Punk was involved as the focus of the show.
2. Ziggler will be fine, but this has to result in moving upwards soon, lots of change to reach his potential.
3. Like vs Ziggler, Miz got some offense in, you can't squash these guys. This match should have never been booked.
4. Yes, i want unpredictability as long as it's logical, variety and competition in each division, a strong midcard.
5. AJ's lurking, waiting to become a factor in Bryan's matches forever, yet still a few ways they can go with this.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For all that is good and decent please not this. I don't care if they continue the AJ/DB story, but I really don't want it to be a "had this planned since the beginning" angle. It wouldn't surprise anyone, firstly. And secondly, DB's victory (if there is to be one) should not happen dirty like that--let him win clean. I just think that storyline-wise, it's just a little too implausible to believe that all the interaction between the two has been set-up to have AJ interfere and get DB the title. If AJ does in fact interfere and DB does in fact win the title, let it be for a reason other than "that was our plan."
Another possibility is of course that she simply interferes because Bryan asked her to because he's a controlling dick. Or she could just interfere on her own accord and Bryan will be surprised but just laugh like, "Ha ha ha. I own you. Ha ha ha."

I would be pretty much cool with any of those. I more or less just think it'd be great for AJ to get involved in a match. These other methods mentioned now would probably fit more with Bryan's current character.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts