Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Amber B, do with this what you will. Move it to another thread, close it, whatever.

Now, a little word on E-C-Dub:

Yes, they should not be wrestling in 2010. Yes, TNA should not have put their storylines on hold for them. Yes, they're shadows of their former selves, and are killing the ECW name. Still, I enjoyed their segments on Impact.

See, I look at it this way: For every person on this forum who've seen this before, who've seen their glory days, who know without a shadow of a doubt that this is a sad attempt by them to recapture their youth and regain the spotlight, there's at least two more who haven't seen. Who don't know.

I'm 18, going on 19. I was born in '91, and I didn't start watching wrestling until '05/'06 at least. If it wasn't for the fact that I'm an avid reader and an info hound, I'd never know about the NWO, 90's DX, Austin, ECW, and all the history that goes with wrestling. In fact, I still don't fully get all that's gone down over the years. When someone mentions the Wolfpack, I really don't know what they're talking about. All I know is the Red & Black and their theme song, that's it. ECW? Sorry, only watched WWECW, Balls Mahoney is about as "extreme" as I get. Sabu, Sandman, and Dreamer? Nope, I was cheering for Burke, Striker, and Thorn. This stuff is all pretty new to me, and I'm willing to bet it's that way for some others who watch TNA.

The best way I can describe it....Well, it's kinda like Jordan coming back to play with the Wizards. He wasn't the MJ of old, not even close. I realized that, and I also realized that he should've stayed retired. But for the time being, I enjoyed him. Because I got a chance to see Jordan play. Nevermind that he wasn't the MJ I'd idolized. Nevermind that he should've been at home relaxing. Nevermind that he'd clearly overstayed his time in the NBA. I loved every minute of it, because I never saw the Bulls. He could've stayed for a few more years, and I would've been happy, because I got to see Jordan play.

That's the mindset I get into when I see EV2.0, Hogan, Sting, 3D, and yes, even Nash and Jarrett. Yeah, they've overstayed their welcome. They're washed up, broken down, and usually just can't go in the ring anymore. I'd prefer not to see their matches, and I'd rather them not get the screen time that they do. But when they do, and I decide to give them a chance and watch them, there's a little part of me that's happy, because I got to see them wrestle. And sometimes they return the favor, and give me matches and segments that I can appreciate and enjoy.

So that's it. You can laugh at me, flame me, red rep me, mock me, whatever. I don't care. That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it. I really hope a lot of people come across this post and read it, because given all the negativity that's been raging in this part of the forum, I really feel that something like this needed to be posted. For all the people who've been watching wrestling for a long time, and actually know what you're talking about, yay. Good for you. Just try to remember that there's others who don't know, and try to use that mindset when something like Hogan and EV2.0 comes along.

(And knowing TNA, it will keep coming, more often than we'd like!)

There's probably some more things that I'd like to type, but by God, my fingers hurt. ;)

·
Registered
380 Posts
I can also relate. I'm also 18, and I'm going to be 19 later this month. I watched wrestling since 2000. I only watched the WWE (WWF at the time). I heard of ECW, and WCW, but I never watched, nor cared about them. I used to read a lot about WCW and ECW. I have a video game called WCW/nWo revenge, and that's how I know most of the WCW wrestlers. (now that I'm on the topic, I also have WWF Warzone, WWF attitude, Wrestlemania 2000, and WWF No Mercy on N64, and I have every game of the Smackdown! series, and SvR series). But yeah, a lot of this stuff is new to me too. I mean, I was around during the invasion, and the nWo showed up after that angle. I also saw One Night Stand 2005, and it felt good that I got to experienced something that I never did before, but a lot of people have. Seeing Sting today with the red face paint was cool, cuz I know that's from his Wolfpac days. Seeing the ECW guys was pretty cool too. This is actually entertaining to me. I know the veteran viewers would be tired of it because they're used to it, and have seen it 1,000 times, but some of us are new to these guys, and enjoy experiencing things that apparently were the reason why wrestling is so successful today. I'm just saying.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I agree with you. I saw all of them wrestle back in the day, and even if they are not what they used to be, I still enjoyed those ECW moments.
Just like I still enjoy Kevin Nash, Sting and even Scott Hall.

·
Leaving em MESMERMIZED!!
2,897 Posts
though im like 17 years your senior(im 35) i can relate. my age alone shows you just how long som of these guys have been around. do ALL of the names you said in ur post need to retire? yes, but at the same time, i love seeing those guys again. you were just born when ECW just started. i can still remember me an my two older bros driving 2 philadelphia(im from NYC originally) to see them at their very best. WCW was comming into its own an the war was in its infant stages. so yeah for an older guy like myself a lot of the WCW and ECW are not that much older than me. and i was against it at first, but now since it is only one night...i figured what the hell!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
im only 21 and i watched WCW in the mid 90s and on, though i cant say i caught every single show/ppv, that was the only company i watched, when it went under, i never went to WWE. then i heard hogan was coming to TNA and i started watching, and i have liked it ever since, but my main draw was hogan/hall/nash/steiner, because i liked them so much in WCW. now ive grown to like AJ, Wolfe, Beer Money and others, but it was only because of WCW people that got air time.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
This is probably one of the best posts this forum has had in some time. To WWE's credit, when they re-hash something, they do a very good job of educating the new audience to what they are bringing back.

For example, both DX and ECW got given great backstories and DVD coverage to bring new fans up to speed. TNA can't do this because they don't own the rights to all the material they are trying to re-use, so new fans are left confused and annoyed.

It's all utterly retarded business wise, because if you want to find out about the nWo or ECW you have to buy WWE DVDs! I mean, how fucking crazy is that!?

I am totally at a loss as you to how a company with all the potential of TNA can't see these obvious problems!

·
Registered
21,591 Posts
I'm gunna go on record and say Hardcore Justice will do better financially and be more entertaining than Victory Road.

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
I'm 15. I never saw NWO, Wolfpac or ECW but I'm not intrigued. I'm not like "oh this is a chance for me to see what they were about" Well "were" is the keyword here. 15 years has passed since. 15 years ago I was 1, yeah so 15 years is a lot for people who insist 15 years ago was just the other day.

I got torrents, free streams and youtube if I wanna witness that. I don't have to see it 2010 in a watered down version. I wanna see 2010. I wanna see what TNA has to offer in 2010 and apparently TNA has 1995 to offer.

Vince unlike Dixie Carter, gets the signs. He realizes his old guys can't go any more so he's on the youth movement. And sure the young guys may not be like Austin, Rock, Taker etc but who gives a shit? What you wanna see Rock wrestle till his old grey ahired 80 year old ass gets a heart attack?

Anyway back to the topic, TNA is the place for Russo and the rest to complete the ideas they didn't get to in WCW.

·
Registered
766 Posts
good thread i agree on most accoutns except i dont wanna see hogan, nash or jarrett wrestle to be honest. that being said its pretty much nostalga. For instance im 21 and i know alot ppl my age and a little younger who dont know anything about a SNES only a select few, yet even tho im playng PS3 if u put a SNES in front me im goin to play regardless of my ps3 being there. kindve the same thing. rep given even if ppl dont get my post lol my bad for that

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'm an older fan as well who remembers watching ECW ( pre-Spike) WWF/WCW during the 90's and honestly I enjoy watching the "old guys" again. I have no problem with this year's HJ. A lot of these guys, had a big impact on the landscape of pro wrestling, but only a few made it "big time". So TNA giving them one last shot in the spotlight (not counting any other ECW reunions in the future)is fine with me.

·
Registered
511 Posts
TNA should just buy the library from WWE and put those matches out on Blu-Ray. Seeing the '96 version of those wrestlers would be better than the 2010 versions. Nash vs Hogan on Impact was terrible.

·
Registered
10,590 Posts
I have a feeling Russo and the rest don't even have any scripts written for the iMPACT after the free PPV. They're just gonna sit down and see what WWE is doing and copy it. The difference is WWE is using young guys, TNA is is well using guys way past their sell date. Really all TNA does is COPY WWE. And at the exact same time! Can't they wait 2 or 3 years when everyone has forgotten bout it? WWE is doing Nexus, TNA does ECW. Yes it's a fact only 1 or 2 guys from Nexus are going to get over, it'll bring in 2 new stars for WWE to test. But how does this ECW reunion benefit TNA? Raven Ryder you tell me! M.S.I.I. tell me! You guys are the only 2 who I know that can come up with an excuse.

I was listening to the PWR show the other day, no one has plans on buying this. This is not going to bring in buyrates for TNA. This will flop. ONS had the WWE name behind. Who the fuck's TNA? Also where's the ECW merchandise? You can't even get an ECW t-shirt. It's a failed attempt for buyrates and I hope TNA learns a lesson from this.

You know why we had to witness that crummy Ko's match and OJ's B.S. and even Flair in his underwear? VINTAGE Russo. Dreamer's booking the ECW crap and Russo's booking the rest. Hogan and Bischoff want nothing to do with the company right now. Russo is going unfiltered. It takes Russo to have a guy wrestling in his briefs. Takes Russo to have a guy carry a fricking doll around.

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
yea i'm 24 and i've watched wrestling since i was realyl little but my teenage years were that of the attitude era and the original ECW. Its good to see them once in a while because it's kinda nostalgic in a way. Same reason i wouldnt mind seeing Sid or Vader or Gangrel every once in a while. I just grew up with it so it stuck to me. Everyone pretty much likes the era they grew up in as the best era of wrestling to them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts