Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before any of you bash me I do think TNA has improved over the last month or so, after May which I considered some of TNA's worst shows ever.

Here are a few things I currently don't like about Impact. First off, I don't like the new "Reaction" gritty camerawork thing they are doing when shooting backstage segments. Everybody knows wrestling is a work, it's a fictional TV show. It would be like if they started using less mics and hidden cameras on a show like House while still sticking to the script. What's the point? Also none of the Reaction segments are really that entertaining, a lot of it comes off as half assed.

I also noticed there wasn't one backstage interview, at least from what I remember, on last week's Impact. I know a lot of the smarks are like OH GOODZ WE WANTZ MORE WRESTLINGZ WORKRATE YAY but my point is that rather than doing the poorly shot "Reaction" type segments go back to some backstage interviews for character development.

I also think since Foley and some others have been gone there really hasn't been any comedy in TNA. Don West as a heel also brought this to the announce table. The vibe of the show during most of 2009 was fun because you had a mixture of comedy like Foley as heel champion and West as heel announcer, and then serious feuds like Sting vs. Angle. I'm not saying TNA should be campy but wrestling shows should be fun.

I also don't understand why Rob Van Dam has the world title. His matches have been generic WWEesque crap and it honestly doesn't look like he gives a shit. He's literally become the John Cena of TNA with his same old shit routine in the ring, the one positive is at least they've toned down on his TV time. Also they call him Mr. TNA. Why? He's been there for 4 months. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of RVD's past work but he lacks the passion he used to have which totally kills my interest in any world title feud.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Here are a few things I currently don't like about Impact. First off, I don't like the new "Reaction" gritty camerawork thing they are doing when shooting backstage segments. Everybody knows wrestling is a work, it's a fictional TV show. It would be like if they started using less mics and hidden cameras on a show like House while still sticking to the script. What's the point? Also none of the Reaction segments are really that entertaining, a lot of it comes off as half assed.
The "Reaction" segments are great and they should keep them. It sets them apart from WWE. You could argue that it's fake but isn't every aspect of iMPACT! not real? Remember TNA is a fictional TV show...

I also noticed there wasn't one backstage interview, at least from what I remember, on last week's Impact. I know a lot of the smarks are like OH GOODZ WE WANTZ MORE WRESTLINGZ WORKRATE YAY but my point is that rather than doing the poorly shot "Reaction" type segments go back to some backstage interviews for character development.
I think this has to do with not being live. It's kinda hard to edit them in before and after a match properly. Hopefully they return, I loved the time RVD and Hardy had that post match breakdown.

I also don't understand why Rob Van Dam has the world title. His matches have been generic WWEesque crap and it honestly doesn't look like he gives a shit. He's literally become the John Cena of TNA with his same old shit routine in the ring, the one positive is at least they've toned down on his TV time. Also they call him Mr. TNA. Why? He's been there for 4 months. Don't get me wrong I'm a fan of RVD's past work but he lacks the passion he used to have which totally kills my interest in any world title feud.
Agree 100%... It's like he just doesn't care. Maybe he's smoking weed before every segment he's in? I don't know but the sooner he loses the belt the better because i'm tired of cringing everytime I hear "Mr. TNA". The IZ crowd eats up his character but he hasn't deserved that title one bit.

·
Registered
932 Posts
First off, I don't like the new "Reaction" gritty camerawork thing they are doing when shooting backstage segments. Everybody knows wrestling is a work, it's a fictional TV show. It would be like if they started using less mics and hidden cameras on a show like House while still sticking to the script. What's the point? Also none of the Reaction segments are really that entertaining, a lot of it comes off as half assed.
adds realism, the wrestlers don't have to pretend to be actors as a lot of them can't act. It gets a feud across without forcing it down your throat. Only a few guys are fun to watch riffing on the mic: Anderson, Lethal, Flair, MCMG, Douglas Williams

I also think since Foley and some others have been gone there really hasn't been any comedy in TNA. Don West as a heel also brought this to the announce table. The vibe of the show during most of 2009 was fun because you had a mixture of comedy like Foley as heel champion and West as heel announcer, and then serious feuds like Sting vs. Angle. I'm not saying TNA should be campy but wrestling shows should be fun.
Getting the crowd to call them selves assholes is quite funny, MCMG were gold on the mic last week on the announcing table. Aj and Kaz acting like a married couple is quite funny. Do we need any big comedy moments? The guys are wrestlers not comedians, your either funny or your not, you shouldn't really force it.

Ratings I would assume. Was expecting him to drop the title at Victory Road but oh well. Not a fan of his title run.

·
Registered
6,319 Posts
To be fair, Cena actually looks like he gives a shit. Van Dam looked like he mentally checked out as soon as he got the belt.

It's the same with commentary. No-one liked West until late in his run, when he really became entertaining. The issue now is Taz sounds as unmotivated as RVD looks, and it doesn't exactly raise Tenay's game. Not a huge fan of the WWE's restricted commentary team, but all 3 sound more exciting than the Impact announcers.

The comedy is fine. It doesn't work in wrestling as a stand alone thing, look at Raw earlier this year. They need to give more time to entertaining guys, like Alex Shelley. That's enough for a show that should revolve more around anger than humour.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I miss Don West tremendously.

I love "Reaction" though
What I'm thinking.

We know wrestling is a work. That doesn't mean it can't make for entertaining TV. Reaction is good, and I'm hoping Taz turns to a heel commentator and Don West joins the announcing booth for a more pro-TNA guy on the mic. Not to mention his mark out moments add to matches, if his air time is restricted to three mouths instead of two all three would come off as better.

·
Registered
105 Posts
RVD-part:
RVD's starting to get better though. Loved his match vs Joe (hoping for a follow-up in the near future) and I actually thought he was the best in last nights main event (though too short, but that's not his fault)

He's just no promomaterial, so just let him do his thing in the ring and keep the feuds oldfashioned and that should work.

Humourpart:
I think there has never been any more legit good humour in TNA than the last months. The Flair-Lethal feud has been hysterical. The little segment of MCMG about beer money was a good laugh... So I don't get your complaint.

+ I love the short reactionsegments. Only takes a short time and certainly gets you more amped up for a match.

·
Registered
3,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only problem is that they need to be live, IMO. Gotta spend money to make money.
Live makes no difference. The only time a live show ever popped a rating was January 4th and that popped a rating because of Hogan. TNA need to focus on cutting costs right now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts