Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever the topic of the greatest heel of all time or the top ten all time heels it is usually the same names that get mentioned like Ric Flair, Triple H and Ted DiBiase whilst short term characters like Hollywood Rock or overrated ones like Hollywood Hogan also get thrown into the mix. Whilst there is no doubting that Ric Flair pre 1997, Triple H circa 1999-2005 and Ted DiBiase are certainly deserving of such praise there are so many heels who would rank among the best who never get mentioned so here would be my most underrated heels who were among the best ever.

Rick Rude drew such HUGE heat in his first WWE run especially in his feuds with Jake Roberts, The Ultimate Warrior and Rowdy Roddy Piper it was untrue. Having Bobby Heenan alongside him helped hate him more but Rick Rude continued the same when he went to WCW when he was seen as the top heel whilst only being a mid carder in feuds against Sting and Ricky Steamoboat until he became WCW champion in 1993.

Raven was never booked as he should have been in either WWE or WCW but i don't believe any other wrestler has ever played a dark and hated manipulative heel like he did. Whether it was the feud with Tommy Dreamer or with The Sandman we saw Raven draw serious heat and had either WWE or more so WCW realised what they had he would have easily been in the greatest heels of all time lists.

Brian Pillman is often remembered for his face run as a Cruiserweight in the early 1990's in WCW or his brief run with The Hart Foundation in WWE buthis heel run in WCW leading into him being a part of a great incarnation of The Four Horsemen with Ric Flair, Arn Anderson and Chris Benoit and his run in brief ECW were immense. For me he was the first man to really blur the lines between fact and kayfabe and he really made you buy into his "Loose Cannon" gimmick, had he not died he would have been a HUGE heel in WWE.

Jim Cornette may have been a manager rather than a wrestler but then i consider Bobby Heenan, Vince McMahon and Paul Heyman to be among the best heels ever so Jim Cornette can also be considered as such. I have always said i dread to think where WWE would have been without Shawn Michaels in 1995 and 1996 but without Jim Cornette there would have been no heels to feud with because other than Owen Hart and later Vader and Stone Cold Steve Austin there wasn't a heel around in that time he was able to get heat on their own.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
Because random WF member from WWE section thinks that Hollywood Rock and Triple H are the best things since slice bread. 70% of WWEtards know nothing about Pillman, and they remember Raven as a guy from "that bingo hall promotion" who wrestled some hardcore matches during the Invasion storyline.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bad News Brown(the original stone cold)
I never really got into Bad New Brown/Allen outside of his feud with Rowdy Roddy Piper in 1990, he was a big rugged brawler who was believable up against anyone but he never really struck me as a truly great heel.

·
Custom User Title
15,224 Posts
I really don't think Hollywood Hogan is an overrated heel at all; guy was tremendous.

Agreed on Rick Rude, though he gets more dues more than I thought he did. Larry Zbyszko, Buddy Rose, and Tully Blanchard aren't listed enough along side the all time great heels.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
sid. he was a bad ass. a little crazy, but a mean fuckin dude and always made you mad when he would destroy the faces you love.

·
Ben Wyatt's Low Cal Calzone Zone
5,893 Posts
Agree with the Tully Blanchard shout out, guy on any given night could become the ultimate heel worker. Terrific talent.

Rude is often overlooked especially with regards to heat, some people occasionally get caught up in people who portray a great heel but don't reap the heat from the crowds that their work deserves...Rude was an amazing heel and managed to get the heat he deserved.

Jimmy Hart in Memphis, Jerry Lawler in his early years as a cocky shit talker in Memphis and during his invasion of Texas during the Von Erich feud in late 1980s also deserve some mentions for simple heat alone.

If we're discussing people who also portrayed terrific heels then Dirty Dutch Mantell & Bill Dundee ABSOLUTELY have to be included, go watch the Lawler vs Mantell Loser Leaves Town studio match from 27th March 1982 and tell me Mantell doesn't cut an all time great promo mid match to seemingly turn babyface only to unload the mother of all cheapshots and set up a feud ending Barbed Wire match between himself and Lawler.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Sgt Slaughter doesn't get mentioned as much as he perhaps should.
The Freebirds.
Heel Demoltion.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
I'd imagine the average age on this website is fairly young so a lot of guys have no idea how good some of the people that are being mentioned here is. Some might not even have heard of guys like Rick Rude.

Oh, and before some 15 year old dipshit pipes in with "I'M 15 AND I LOVE TEXAS DEATH MATCHES AND RICK RUDE AND BLAH BLAH BLAH" - I'm not saying all young people don't go back and watch older wrestling - but most don't.

·
Premium Member
19,291 Posts
I'd imagine the average age on this website is fairly young so a lot of guys have no idea how good some of the people that is being mentioned here is. Some might not even have heard of guys like Rick Rude.

Oh, and before some 15 year old dipshit pipes in with "I'M 15 AND I LOVE TEXAS DEATH MATCHES AND RICK RUDE AND BLAH BLAH BLAH" - I'm not saying all young people don't go back and watch older wrestling - but most don't.
Who iz rik rude?>?

·
Sheriff of Piltover
2,880 Posts
Absolutely agree with Pillman, man what a great wrestler that died way before his time.

Honorable mention in my opinion is - Rick "The Model" Martel, his feud with Jake Roberts is where he truly shined. He was truly one of the greatest narcissistic heels of all time.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts