Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
1,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several NBA teams are scrapping the term “owner” to describe those who hold ownership stake in each team to avoid the perception of racial insensitivity by some of the players they employ.

The idea first gained some traction in 2018, when the Golden State Warriors star Draymond Green said during an episode of HBO’s “The Shop,” “You shouldn’t say owner” when talking about the top executive of each team.

“When your product is purely the labor of people, then owner sounds like something that is of a futile nature,” comedian Jon Stewart said, also appearing on the episode.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/some-nba-teams-scrap-term-owner-over-racial-insensitivity?_amp=true

I really despise this PC society

·
The Empire will Reign again
17,204 Posts
They're fucking team owners not player owners. This especially doesn't make sense in the NBA where the players have by far the strongest player union in all of sports. This might make more sense in soccer where teams "sell" players, or in the NFL where you can be disposed of like trash with no compensation.

I agree with BM shit like this allows conservatives to undermine the actual important social changes liberals try to make. Conservatives be like "first we couldn't say fags and ni99ers, now we can't say owner anymore?!”

·
tombstone blues
14,293 Posts
Silly but if some people want to be silly they can be silly

·
Registered
22,868 Posts
You know if they put this much energy into helping black people in poverty stricken areas, society might be in a better place. But that would be doing something practical and we can't have that.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
This is just stupid. But hey big name NBA players want it, so the owners are going to placate them because they know who makes them their money. Call them whatever you want, just don't stop making money for them.

·
E:16
6,195 Posts
This is an important step towards equality for all.

·
Registered
904 Posts
BM and Jerigoat are right. I am a conservative/republican and usually roll my eyes at anything close to this, but am also not too proud and can admit there are words or phrases that should probably be looked at and changed bc they may ACTUALLY be deemed offensive. Things like this hurt the cause when something legit comes up. It’s almost like people are looking for anything to be offended by and go with this instead of taking a little more time and effort and finding something the majority of people can agree on that can make an actual difference.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
3,882 Posts

“When your product is purely the labor of people, then owner sounds like something that is of a futile nature,” comedian Jon Stewart said, also appearing on the episode.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/some-nba-teams-scrap-term-owner-over-racial-insensitivity?_amp=true

I really despise this PC society
It's also worth noting that the author of that article is a fucking moron that doesn't know the difference between "futile" and the correct "feudal."

God, the stupidity rampant in this society personally offends me.

·
EXCELSIOR!
16,112 Posts
You know if they put this much energy into helping black people in poverty stricken areas, society might be in a better place. But that would be doing something practical and we can't have that.
Can't coax people into consistently voting for you to fix their most grievous problems when you actually do fix said grievous problems right from the get go instead of at a snail's pace.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts