Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this is the wrong section but I rarely ever post - as you can probably see.

It's to do with quadratic expressions. Basically, the question is:

Express (x-3)^2 as a shape (not a graph). This can either be done as the orginal expression or expressed as x^2-6x+9.

Thanks in advance.

·
a Stupid Idea from Bad Creative
24,745 Posts
Sorry dude about few (wel lactually more than a few now :lol) years ago when I took that class in college I may have been able to help you out, but I have already killed those brain cells off (they were weak)

I would go with Professor's Steiner's help as well :steiner

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Apologies if this is the wrong section but I rarely ever post - as you can probably see.

It's to do with quadratic expressions. Basically, the question is:

Express (x-3)^2 as a shape (not a graph). This can either be done as the orginal expression or expressed as x^2-6x+9.

Thanks in advance.
Maybe it's referring to the 'U' shape of the graph?

It will cross the x-axis @ -3 and +3, and by completing the square the co-ordinates of the vertex are (-3, 0) [I think] might be +3.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Maybe it's referring to the 'U' shape of the graph?

It will cross the x-axis @ -3 and +3, and by completing the square the co-ordinates of the vertex are (-3, 0) [I think] might be +3.
Pretty decent answer, I would give partial credit for that answer.

A squared equation automatically denotes a parabolic function(U shaped).

y=x^2 is the basic parabola. y=x^2+a is the parabola shifted up or down a units. y=(x+b)^2 is a parabola shifted left or right b units.

Setting the original function equal to zero will yield the x-intercepts. In the case the answer is only positive 3. So for a parabola to only have one x-intercept means its vertex is at the intercept @ (3,0).

I would give credit for the following answers(or as close to)

A parabola shifted to right 3 units.

Or

A parabola whose vertex lies on the coordinate (3,0)

·
Is a Snit Head
22,214 Posts
Pretty decent answer, I would give partial credit for that answer.

A squared equation automatically denotes a parabolic function(U shaped).

y=x^2 is the basic parabola. y=x^2+a is the parabola shifted up or down a units. y=(x+b)^2 is a parabola shifted left or right b units.

Setting the original function equal to zero will yield the x-intercepts. In the case the answer is only positive 3. So for a parabola to only have one x-intercept means its vertex is at the intercept @ (3,0).

I would give credit for the following answers(or as close to)

A parabola shifted to right 3 units.

Or

A parabola whose vertex lies on the coordinate (3,0)
I glanced over what you said and while it all seems to be true that's not the question. He needs to know the shape.

U

That's the shape of it basically.

And OP, literally just copy and paste the equation into google and it shows you the graph.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry for the late replies guys, but in the first post I stated I didn't need it as a graph. It was pretty simple when my teacher showed me.

I can't post an image of it because of my post count but I don't think anyone's particularly interested :lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts