Wrestling Forum banner

Social media has killed kayfabe

3103 Views 36 Replies 35 Participants Last post by  Drago
Just imagine Ricky Steamboat posting a picture of him at the gym working out all fine and dandy the day after a beating at the hands of randy savage.

Or the Rock and Austin playing mortal kombat together in a podcast the night after wrestlemania 15 joking away.

Yes we all know it's fake and they get on and the beatings they take are not as bad as they make them out but the constant use of social media has killed kayfabe for me.

I mean triple h apparently got handed a severe beating last night and he is already at it again on Twitter today doing the usual promotions for NXT.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Banned
14,425 Posts
Did just occur to you? Did you just discover fire? Yeah Social Media killed kayfabe. But its not the 80's. It's 2015 times have changed. Most of it is work on twitter anyway. It is the Reality Era, no choice but to embrace it. IT ain't going away.

Reactions: Ahem...

· Registered
5,957 Posts
Just imagine Ricky Steamboat posting a picture of him at the gym working out all fine and dandy the day after a beating at the hands of randy savage.

Or the Rock and Austin playing mortal kombat together in a podcast the night after wrestlemania 15 joking away.

Yes we all know it's fake and they get on and the beatings they take are not as bad as they make them out but the constant use of social media has killed kayfabe for me.

I mean triple h apparently got handed a severe beating last night and he is already at it again on Twitter today doing the usual promotions for NXT.
YES!

· Registered
2,715 Posts
Your argument falls apart the second you mentioned we know its fake. Kayfabe is not necessary to enjoy wrestling. WWE is a TV Show like any other, if it were actually good then the ratings would show it was. Kayfabe being dead isn't the problem WWE just fucking suck, they need a whole new team of writers who actually know the wrestling business and McMahon & Dunn need to fuck off.

· Registered
921 Posts

Then why do you follow them?

· Banned
4,622 Posts

Trips was taken to the hospital, not killed. He can still tweet for freak's sake.
:drake1 :aj3

· Premium Member
2,980 Posts

Do you not want an officer of a publicly traded company to promote the company's upcoming events?

:jbl
:trips4

· A wallaby? Well it's like a kangaroo but smaller.
18,962 Posts
Social media has effected wrestling a LOT, that's why they can't do half of the things we'd like them to do now.

See here, the part about creative freedom.

· Registered
37,516 Posts
This argument is sooooo stupid. Everybody over 10 knows its fake and if you're under 10 on social media you're parents have let you be exposed to more than the lack of kayfabe.

We know it's fake as long as they stay in character during the show who cares. Do we really need wrestlers trying to put the cat back into the bag to enjoy it?

· Registered
2,033 Posts
kayfabe hasnt been around since the 50s seriously if you are at least a teenager you should know wrestling is fake,the whole idea that we fans should think that wrestlers are their characters outside the ring is one of the things that non fans make fun of us for, its like saying downey jr is ruining kayfabe if he doesnt ride around an expensive ass car....this kayfabe excuse is getting outrageous! i mean when rusev and lana are getting punished to preserve this idiotic thing is absurd

Reactions: Truthbetold

· Registered
11,180 Posts
Times change. Adapt or perish.

Nobody believes wrestling is "real" anyomore. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

All WWE need to do is keep the narratives within the weekly shows and PPVs coherent. Everything outside of that immediate sphere does not matter anymore. The show is the show and the real world is the real world.

· Registered
682 Posts
I look at it a different way. Social media could've grown kayfabe and helped the wrestlers get over more as a heel or face. The issue though is all the wrestlers use social media out of character, thus breaking kayfabe.

Look at Stephanie McMahons twitter, it clearly states, she cares about the community and giving back, and that she plays a bad guy on TV.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.