Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does Vince really see no use in Tag-Teams? If thats the case then how would have guys like Jeff Hardy, Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Edge etc. got their big break? I mean part of the reasons these guys got over was because of the Tag-Teams they were associated with. We would have never seen "The Heart Break Kid" emerge if it wasn't for him betraying Janetty, or the ladder jumpin "Extremeness" of Jeff Hardy without the "Hardy Boyz" and their crazy spots, and so on. I mean the thing is Tag Teams can be a great stepping stone for many guys and it can become a star filter which I think overall would help establish some guys. Also at the same time it gives us something new to watch with an actual POINT instead of random pairing tag matches that don't mean jack shit.

So why does Vince continue to break up tag-teams and make its scene seem not important? I mean you had one of the greatest tag-team feuds ever between the Dudleys, The Hardys, and Edge and Christian. Don't tell me nobody paid to see TLC lol.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Because he's desperate to create that next break out star from a tag team he's forgetting that you need to give the team time to build before they break up.

·
WindUp
163 Posts
because unless there is props, tag team matches are boring..

1 guy gets beat on, kept in corner while they beat on him and dont let him tag out...
something happens that causes both legal players to become knocked out. the guy the was being beaten down on makes the tag to the fresh guy and he comes in with amazing powers.....

i personally would rather not see tag teams, singles or big groups are way forward.

and to be honest, even when we was watching TLC matches with Christan and edge, dudley boyz, and hardy boys... did no one else get bored of there matches every week with same concept??

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

1 guy gets beat on, kept in corner while they beat on him and dont let him tag out...
something happens that causes both legal players to become knocked out. the guy the was being beaten down on makes the tag to the fresh guy and he comes in with amazing powers.....

i personally would rather not see tag teams, singles or big groups are way forward.

and to be honest, even when we was watching TLC matches with Christan and edge, dudley boyz, and hardy boys... did no one else get bored of there matches every week with same concept??
Are you serious? I can say the EXACT same thing about singles matches.

Face is on top beating up the heel. The heel counters and beats the Face down. The Face starts to gain momentum then the Heel cuts him off. The heel then puts the Face in a resthold and after that the Face usually gets momentum again and is able to fight back. The Face then sets him up with his finisher but then the heel reverses. They go back and forth with their finishers and then after that theres a winner.

Maybe Vince should just get rid of singles matches then.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
The beauty of tag team wrestling is that it allows the individuals to hone the craft and develop a connection with the fans; it also serves to mask their weaknesses because each person is only in the ring about half of the time. The long-term benefit is that, frequently, one of the two performers will stand out as the class of the pair, and will look even better when compared to his inferior partner. This is the classic Bret Hart/Jim Neidhart and Shawn Michaels/Marty Jannetty effect. Hart and Michaels both benefited by looking SO much more talented than their partners, and that helped jump start their careers. That MAY or MAY NOT be true for a team like Archer and Hawkins or the Hart Dynasty, but we'll never know because WWE doesn't keep the teams together long enough for the superior team member to shine through.

·
Registered
813 Posts

Try watching ROH, AAA, or hell, even TNA, and you'll see how wrong you are about tag matches.

·
Lucy Snorebush
2,073 Posts
It's all about money, feuds nowadays are done and solved in a month (that goes for singles and tag)for a quick cash in. With the exception of the big stuff like Nexus etc. Feud starts at the start of the month, culminates at the monthly PPV. Lance Storm talked about this on his blog awhile back, there's no buildup anymore and you're paying to see the ending and not the match. You mentioned Hardys, E+C and the Dudleys, they would feud for 3 months ish with back and forths, no clear winner, little swerves here and there and it would culminate at a big PPV event.

·
Banned
386 Posts
Cheap to pay for 2 talents in the ring than 4.

Amazing

·
#TEAMFIT
7,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's all about money, feuds nowadays are done and solved in a month (that goes for singles and tag)for a quick cash in. With the exception of the big stuff like Nexus etc. Feud starts at the start of the month, culminates at the monthly PPV. Lance Storm talked about this on his blog awhile back, there's no buildup anymore and you're paying to see the ending and not the match. You mentioned Hardys, E+C and the Dudleys, they would feud for 3 months ish with back and forths, no clear winner, little swerves here and there and it would culminate at a big PPV event.
Well TBH it doesn't seem its working for them since their PPV buys haven't been going up. They've done about everything you can do the "easy way" to sell PPVS and still nobodys giving a shit. But when you only give a month(sometimes even less in the WWEs case) of course nobodys gonna give a shit. No Build Up = No PPV buys.

·
Banned
15,929 Posts
It's just lazy booking.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
they need to let tag champs cut amazing promos and actually have a story... nowadays tag champs are mute idiots... yet they give laycool all the time in the world to talk stupid shit.. the need to trim the bullshit cuz we know they came.. and make tags interesting

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
When you look at WWF/E's best tag team eras, it was when they had a huge superstar at the top.

In the 80s, when Hulk was the man, they had somewhat of a golden era of tag wrestling.

In the AE, when Rock and Austin were making boatloads of money, they had another golden era.

I just think Vince is extremely fixated on finding singles stars, and he tends to put all his energy into that while tag teams are ignored in the process. I mean, yeah...John Cena is a star, but Cena hasn't inspired a boom period, so WWE are probably still looking for that next Rock or Hogan-level star and think they may be lurking in a tag team somewhere. While they do that, tag teams drop like flies. But that's just my hypothesis.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I thought the division was in bad shape and I also thought it was just unfortunate, but splitting up The Dashing Ones AND Hart Dynasty in a single month is a terrible move. Who's there to replace them now??

I hope to see the days of even New Age Outlaws, Acolytes, Headbangers even.. Even NAO were just two wrestlers put together but got massively over. They need to show they're making an effort, splitting up these two teams so quickly and pointless is a joke.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
The only tag teams that should exist are ones where both members are talented. Teams like the Hardy Boyz and E & C only worked so well because both team members were talented as hell in their own ways. No more of this "one talented, one sucks" stuff. If a guy sucks, send him down to FCW or have him work dark matches till he gets his skills up. Give that ring and mic time to the guy who deserves it.

I think Slater and Gabriel could be a fine tag team. Dudebusters too. Not sure about the Usos. Other than that, the rest can go. From there, other talented and over guys can make new teams naturally through storyline. Worked for Rated RKO, Jerishow, and the Rock & Sock Connection. Don't see why it wouldn't work now.

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
I think his thought process was a lot like "Which is more important (tag or singles) and deserves more of my time and energy?" So we ended up here.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
The only tag teams that should exist are ones where both members are talented. Teams like the Hardy Boyz and E & C only worked so well because both team members were talented as hell in their own ways. No more of this "one talented, one sucks" stuff. If a guy sucks, send him down to FCW or have him work dark matches till he gets his skills up. Give that ring and mic time to the guy who deserves it.
Well, going by the "both members must be talented" school of thought, shouldn't that include teams like the Hart Foundation, one of the greatest teams of all time?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts

you know nothing.

I have no idea why the WWE shits on Tag team's now, it's a shame, tag team wrestling should be a huge part of the business, as it has been in the past. Unfortunately it;s just like so much else in the company, just not what it used to be.

Reactions: JerseyCloverleaf

·
Registered
9,729 Posts
It's because he thinks he can create the next Bret/HBK/Edge/Jeff by splitting up tag teams, maybe with time one David Hart Smith could develop into a good talker and a better wrestler but right now he isn't so what is the point of breaking them up, another team that comes to mind is Cryme Tyme, they were over as a tag team, got the crowd pumped up and were a good tag team, a shame they never got the belts. They were broken up so no explainable reason and feuded in a feud no one cared about.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts