Wrestling Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
I was into the larger than life comic book personalities ... with that gone I appreciate the athleticism these guys have and the effort they put into making a show.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
It's just fun to watch for me. Seeing the matches, the characters, and the feuds..all of it just captivates me and I have a blast watching it because of that.

·
Manic Pixie Dream Girl
The April Witch
5,370 Posts
I like the drama, spectacle, and pageantry of it. Good wrestling is akin to a proper superhero comic.

·
Lifting weights and eating steaks
19,522 Posts
I don't really. Not anymore anyway.

I sort of just watch or discuss out of habit now with people who like similar things to me.

Almost like a Stockholm syndrome going on. Sadly.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
It's a fake combat simulation with stunts. I find entertainment in that like someone would find entertainment in watching a fight scene in a John Wick movie. I also like the characters and the stories. Wrestling isn't what it used to be though I'll admit that. I would much rather watch a movie, or stream a show on Netflix. I keep up with AEW though.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Theres no other form of live entertainment that has as much variety or backstory as wrestling. A lot of it is crap but every once in a while you get those huge mark out moments that make it all worth it.

·
Registered
945 Posts
It's a break from watching storylines in movies, Plus as I go to the gym when it's open, I appreciate the hard work these guys must put in behind the scenes while travelling to get their look. Most of them I can even get close to and I've being going over a decade.

But also, now and then something happens that makes me appreciate everyone, like the reaction to Brodie's death. MJF selling for his kid is one of the most heart warming things I have seen.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Seems most people complain about it. I myself fast forward more than I watch. Most people are embarrassed to talk about wrestling in public.

Why do you even like it?
Even through there are no pro in pro wresting nowadays, I can't stop wishing for or dreaming on a great show. I am a human being and that's part of my natural condition.

Perhaps I use Ali's promo and Drew's absence for create a booking. Even, I'm afraid I can book to achieve a tantrum.

TBH, I love wrestling, but that does not meant to behave as a silly Mark or Smark. I'd like to smartening me up.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Well I watch mostly past eras on the network and still enjoy that and their style.

I also have some favourites in the modern day that I would still tune in to on PPVs that I appreciate such as Asuka, Io, Sasha, Daniel Dryan, AJ, Fiend and Drew.

It's also special when in the modern day you can get rare matches that capture the magic that makes wrestling an art form that tells a story in the ring. I big example for me was Tyler Bate v WALTER the year before last - a true small man v big man story that went back and forth and made you believe it was a true fight that both guys were trying to win.

·
Likes wrestling....
9,120 Posts
1. Legacy: My grandfather would sit me down to watch it with him every Saturday. He was my biggest hero and it keeps him alive in my memories.

2. I like stories, and spectacle: The twists and turns, face turns, run ins, entrances, and surprises are what I love. I could care less about the matches unless something fun happens.

3. It's helped me professionally: I pursued writing and theater in my adult life, wrestling has been very beneficial to me. Learning how to work a crowd, to know when to "make a save", "pop a crowd". I learned that from watching wrestling.

4. I like the talent: Every time I think I am about done, a wrestler comes along who's charisma draws me in, and then I have a rooting interest. When I have someone to "root" for it's far more entertaining.

·
Premium Member
3,922 Posts
I started watching back in the mid 80s.... this is how it was like back then.

When it was a secret Vince owned WWF, and everyone thought Vince McMahon was just a wimp announcer. Back when there were very few leaks and nothing was pushed in our faces on social media by HQ in Stamford.

And the on-screen graphics were terrible.

·
Registered
729 Posts
"Storytelling" and characters are vastly overrated. I never cared for supposedly "larger than life" wrestlers, It's just a Buzz term.

Watch Adam Cole vs Finn Balor, there's your answer. Two people doing everything in the book to get the crowd on their feet, that's why I still love the industry. Suicide dives are still a joy to watch, even after being a fan since 2007.

·
Waiting for Kawato
1,186 Posts
There's an art to it, man. Actually doing it really well is an admirable and highly entertaining thing. It's like you're comparing the physical athleticism of ballet with the attempts at projecting realism of the theatre. It is its own unique combination of the two. The ability to tell a story through physicality is an art probably that has its closest cousin in silent cinema, and the ability to work a crowd and whip them into a frenzy via performance is pretty much all its own thing.

Add to that the fact that there is plenty of great wrestling happening all over the planet right now (I'm talking generally, it's obviously less specific to the empty arena era), and it is more easy to access than it literally ever has been, it seems to me like there's never BEEN a better time to be a pro wrestling fan.

Of course if what you're really asking is why do you watch the WWE, well... That is a whole other thing:ROFLMAO: They really do have probably the greatest roster of talent ever assembled from top to bottom, and I guess continuing to hold out hope that they'll actually eventually make the most of that is a total delusion, but... Watching all those guys work (or try to), even if the booking and storylines are fucking heinous, and the promos horribly scripted still has its pleasures, because they really are that good.

·
Registered
444 Posts
There are two reasons
I am addicted to it but I don't think I can watch a full 3 hours raw again.

The nostalgia of wwe in their prime days

·
Registered
444 Posts
There are two reasons
I am addicted to it but I don't think I can watch a full 3 hours raw again.

The nostalgia of wwe in their prime days
I don't really. Not anymore anyway.

I sort of just watch or discuss out of habit now with people who like similar things to me.

Almost like a Stockholm syndrome going on. Sadly.
Exactly

21 - 37 of 37 Posts