Wrestling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
The Mister Abigail Experience
5,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems most people complain about it. I myself fast forward more than I watch. Most people are embarrassed to talk about wrestling in public.

Why do you even like it?

·
Registered
13,315 Posts
1) I like the matches.

The way I equate it to people, if they ask, is wrestling provides the excitement of the final battle at the end of a super hero movie with actual, often times live, athletes. Few forms of entertainment can compare to a live wrestling show.

2) I like the characters and stories.

The "show about a wrestling show" concept has just always appealed to me. It's a lampooning, ridiculous, farce but it's also a smashmouth, exciting, spectacle full of unique, diverse, larger than life characters, compelling stories, and athleticism.

3) It's fun.

What else can I say. A wrestling show, when done right, is one of the best variety shows there is. There's comedy, drama, violence, music, passion, excitement, spectacle, and, if you go to a show with a budget, fireworks.

·
THE NXT CHAMP BAYBAY !
11,217 Posts
Just this guy

Reactions: YamchaRocks

·
rasslin
5,631 Posts
The WWE network is a solid value and watching the PPVs are usually all I need to keep up to date with the current product.

Ive started checking out NJPW and have enjoyed that as well.

·
Fearless University Graduate
16,443 Posts
At this point I honestly dont know anymore. Just sheer habit and nostalgia at this point.

I enjoy three things in all of Pro Wrestling at the moment; Sasha Banks, Roman Reigns and Team Taz.

Everything else in modern pro Wrestling just holds zero interest too me at all. Everything is just so bad. Shitty, spot fest matches. Emotionless promos. The requirement from the fans that someone has to have Indy cred to be accepted. The non existent, bland characters.

Its just sheer habit that I keep paying attention to Pro Wrestling at this point, what it has become is so far removed from what I used to love and watch religiously.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
It's in my blood, I've been watching since I was 4 years old, it was the biggest part of my childhood and it helps me relax which is weird to every non-wrestling fan, it reminds me of the good old days with the family just sitting and marking out, it helped me in some of my dark times. I've been on a semi-hiatus for more than 3 years now, modern day wrestling is worse than the biggest pile of shit one can imagine, but I always watch old matches when I have free time. When done right, which is very rare ,wrestling is the most fun I can have, I don't even know why but it's fucking great. That is what makes us complain so much because they're taking away that fun from us. If wrestling was good all the time it will really add to my overall happiness.

Reactions: Mister Abigail

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
1) Mostly because I admire the actual art form of pro wrestling. Both entertaining and crisp choreographed fighting, that one can believe is real, yet nobody is hurt, is actually very very difficult to pull off. It's akin any performance sport imo.

2) Love pop culture. WWE and by design its rival (WCW, TNA, AEW) , is a holdover from childhood. Most other franchises from the 80's have come and gone and been rebooted. As incoherent as it often is, wrestling and its characters and continuity can be clearly traced back decades. Also fascinating to see something like WWE and Vince McMahon still doing their shit after all these years.

3) Wrestling and WWE in particular is really fun to watch live. Kills a couple of hours in a good way.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I've watched wrestling for 30 years now, so it's more of a habit. Yes, I complain about it alot. Just because I remember how much better the product used to be.

Reactions: Mister Abigail

·
Registered
249 Posts
Because its escapism and currently thats needed more than ever in my world. At its best its great storytelling with characters I can either love or hate and involves men or women battering each other. Even during the times i;ve fallen out of wrestling i know that give me a 2 minute Flair promo, a Bret or Shawn match or the carnage of a Sid or Vader squash and im smiling.

·
Is a Snit Head
22,241 Posts
I don't really watch a ton of it anymore but I go through spurts. I'll watch most of WWE's PPVs and an AEW episode once in a while and then some stuff on the Network. Every 6 months or so I'll subscribe to an indy wrestling streaming service for a couple of months too.

I like going to events (when that was still a thing in the world). That's what I still love about wrestling and always will. I'm hoping I'll be going to local events until I'm dead and Wrestlemania has become almost an annual trip for me the last few 10 years.

·
Baby It's Violence
7,395 Posts
It makes me sad how many seem to just watch it out of habit more than anything else. The only real shows I can say I do that is Raw and Smackdown

Everything else I watch is because I genuinely love pro wrestling. As an art form I treat it as a violent fight or dance (depending on who is in the ring), and the ring is the place where you prove your worth, where we get the battle between said competitors that have an endless range of abilities and sizes, from the smaller guys and their speed and high flying, to the large brutes with their brawling and power. All these are built around stories, sometimes as simple as two guys wanting to see which one of them is superior, others are more complex like the entire rise Tetsuya Naito had the last like 5-6 years before he won the title at Wrestle Kingdom off Okada. But it's always entertaining to me how all of this can meld into one, and the endless possibilities on how these stories and matches come together.

I have a long list of guys and gals I enjoy watching and would call my favorites, for so many reasons like the unique way they may wrestle, to their charisma and ability to make themselves the biggest person in the room, to the person who can just talk right at you and make you understand every single element of who they are. And just like a favorite sports team, I'll cheer or boo for them and hope for the most success they can get, or to be as entertaining as I hope they can be, and sort of relish in it in a way.

Wrestling on its best day is probably my favorite form of entertainment, something I know a ton about and can escape to if I feel like shit or down, because I know I'll always find some sort of enjoyment within it. It's the best sort of pseudo-reality TV mixed in with incredible athleticism and talent, and when everything comes together in the right way, its damn hard to top.

·
The Fastest of the Fastest of Jamaican Sprinters
4,815 Posts
Because, when it's done right, wrestling can be magic.

WWE has been mostly a disaster for a decade, but when McIntyre kicked Lesnar over the ropes at last year's Rumble, I legitimately got goosebumps. I mean it. The promise of that feeling keeps me coming back.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts